“Not great value”

Feast
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Overall good food, I ordered the rib eye with a parsnip rosti, and the rosti was I inedible it was so dry. The beef was cooked perfectly though. My parents both got the lamb and it was presented beautifully and tasted great too. A little smaller meals than I would have liked as I was still hungry when we left, could have been solved if I could actually eat the rosti. Service was terrible, we desperately wanted another bottle of wine and were never checked on for additional drinks. In the end my father had to walk up to the bar to request some wine as no amount of waving would get the waiters attention. if service would improve I would reccommed it as a nice SMALL place to dine. Maybe better for couples rather than family groups.

Reviewed 2 June 2012

I'll quite often stop off a Cromwell on the journey between Dunedin & Queenstown/Wanaka. Josh, he Chef Patron does an amazing job making use of local produce. Would thoroughly recommend on of the platter with a glass of Locharburn Pinot Noir from Chef Josh's family vineyard.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

Cromwell is one of those South Island New Zealand towns where if you blink you are past it in a blur of agricultural machinery and sheep.
Yet it’s a town foodies will find is worth making a special pilgrimage to visit. Feast is an unpretentious little restaurant in the centre of the town’s unpretentious little shopping mall and it serves superb food and wine at reasonable prices. Chef and owner Jonathan Hill takes full advantage of Feast’s location in the central Ortago plains. Surrounded by vast vineyards and hectares of fruit orchards he uses an extensive selection of local produce to serve dishes of stunning simplicity to a Michelin starred standard.
Try the Merino lamb beautifully presented and perfectly cooked by the small team in the kitchen. Prices are in the NZ$30 to $40 range for a main course. Desserts are a marvel of artistry and the wine selection is good and, again, modestly priced.
The setting is informal and relaxed and the service friendly and efficient. All in all a wonderful watering hole: unpretentious and value for money showcasing some of the best New Zealand cooking and produce.
Worth making that detour of some hundreds of miles!

Reviewed 22 February 2012

This restaurant was an unexpected find, inside a mall in the small town of Cromwell. Very nice menu, well-prepared and tasty.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

We walked past, saw the menu and made a booking. I love places like this where someone has actually dreamed up something to serve rather than copying every other restaurants menu. We had Thar pie, Hare Wellington, Rabbit Lasagne and a cheese and mushroom tarte. It was all well prepared and very tasty. The Hare Wellington was a highlight.

Portions are generous and I wouldn't recommend an entree and main unless you haven't eaten for a week. I got it down but she was hard work towards the end.

The service is very friendly - the staff were attentive and chatty.

The atmosphere is casual which suited us down to the ground.