“So glad to find this place! AHHMAZING food!”

Wild Earth Outdoor Kitchen & Cellar Door
Ranked #4 of 34 Restaurants in Cromwell
Price range: US$7 - US$27
Cuisines: Wine Bar, New Zealand
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, View, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Cross the bridge over the Mighty Kawarau River to join us in our idillic Central Otago setting, surrounded by Wild Thyme and rocky outcrops.
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“So glad to find this place! AHHMAZING food!”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

As I researched for a lunch stopover for my drive from Tekapo to QT, I found Wild Earth Wines. I checked out their website and straight away I was hooked!
The food in their website look and sound amazing, plus the good reviews on TA, hence I was sure I made the right choice.

It was a beautiful day that day. I walked through the bridge and took some time to marvel at Kawarau Gorge. It was just beautiful! And the restaurant tucked away on the other side away from the main road...Wow!

The place was very pleasant and welcoming. I chose to sit outside under beautiful sunshine. It was not busy at all at the time and I was greeted by a very friendly waitress. We chatted a bit and yeah I felt very comfortable indeed. Very very good service. Top notch!

I already knew what I wanted which was their Oak Stave meal set. The menu said it's for 2 ppl but they were very kind and changed it for me to just 1 person. I didn't have the pairing wine though as I was driving and was all by myself so I better not have any alcohol :-)
But I was sure the food would taste even much better with the wine.
Price wise...I think it's normal as per NZ standard. So worth every penny

The meal set was cooked in the stave and consisted of mussels, hare, salmon, pork belly, lamb and rice noodle salad. YUUMMMM...everything was beautifully presented. I especially like the paua shell they used for the salad.

Do pay a visit when you're in Cromwell.

• Visited March 2014
sasinrio, Director of Sales at Wild Earth Outdoor Kitchen & Cellar Door, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Hi Poikime,

Thanks for your lovely review - we're really pleased you stopped in and enjoyed our food on a lovely Autumn day. Shame you were driving and unable to try the wine, but perhaps next time you are through this way!

We look forward to having you back.

Sarah and the Wild Earth team

• Chinese (Traditional) first
London
“Worth stopping for the food and wine”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Set in the stunning bleak Kawarau Gorge with the river below you and the gold workings all around. The food is eclectic and uses great natural and often wild ingredients cooked usually in a smoker. Sitting outside on a fine day is time well spent.

• Visited April 2014
sasinrio, Director of Sales at Wild Earth Outdoor Kitchen & Cellar Door, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Hi Adventurer62,
Thanks for your review. We are really pleased you stopped by and tried our barrel cooked foods. I hope you enjoyed the Wild Foods and were challenged by and enjoyed our food and wine matches. Perhaps next time you are through this way you could stop in again.
Hong Kong
“Well worth a visit. Special location and good food.”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Great alfresco dining experience and well worth a visit. The approach to the restaurant is via a suspension bridge across the Kawarau River. The restaurant offers tasting food platters served on recycled plants of food paired with wines made by the winery. This is truly a unique experience.

I would not say that I was bowed over by the food or the wine but the whole experience exceeds my expectation. You can sense that a lot of thought has gone into the presentation and cooking to make this a unique cellar door dining experience.

Visited April 2014
sasinrio, Director of Sales at Wild Earth Outdoor Kitchen & Cellar Door, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Hi Doobeebaby,
Thanks for taking the time to review our Restaurant while you were over here on holiday. We have put a lot of time and effort into the cooking (and presentation) - our barrel cookers have been developed over the past 4 years through much trial and testing... We think the food is pretty special and different and I'm very pleased you thought it unique and that it exceeded your expectations.

We would love to have you back again if you're ever down this way again.
Sydney, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stunning location, great ambience & fantastic food”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and two kids under the age of 6 loved everything about this restaurant. How I wish this or something similar was located near Sydney! The food was wholesome and the smoky wine barrel flavours were great! The service was very good too. My kids were relaxed as they were free to roam the gardens and whilst we ate it peace.

• Visited April 2014
sasinrio, Director of Sales at Wild Earth Outdoor Kitchen & Cellar Door, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Hi Miah_Miah,

Thank you for your lovely review. I'm so pleased you and your family enjoyed yourselves and your wee kids were able to roam around and work off some steam out in the garden. Sydney isn't so far away, so please pop back - we would love to see you and the family again!

Cheers,
Sydney, Australia
“Unexpectedly great”
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Located in an unsuspecting location was a particularly enjoyable food and wine establishment. They were clearly passionate about their food and wine particularly the smoked food they prepare. Very well presented and all round great experience.

sasinrio, Director of Sales at Wild Earth Outdoor Kitchen & Cellar Door, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Hi Funchik,

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience with us at Wild Earth. We do indeed have an unsuspecting location - many people are surprised to find us in 'the middle of nowhere' when they stop off. We are passionate about our food, wine and our barrel cookers, and I'm very pleased our staff were able to convey that to you. Perhaps when you are over here again, you would like to pop by and we can show you more of what we do.

Warm regards,
Sarah and the Wild Earth team.