“Unusual place with a friendly hostess but she is not a cook by any means”

Villa Rosa Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cromwell
Villa Rosa Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 17 Cromwell B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Quite a dark place with VERY large and gloomy paintings dominating the room. We had the front room with private access to the street which is quiet. There was nowhere to unpack our cases, the wardrobe was full of rolls of bedding and when I pulled open a drawer in the chest they were all full of feminine underwear! It was the same in the ensuite bathroom, the cabinet over the basin was full of half used toiletries which also occupied the windowsills. As the owner was obviously sleeping on a folding bed in one of the other rooms we got the impression that she had hurriedly vacated our room to make way for us.She is such a nice and engaging woman that I am sorry to be saying all this but the truth will out I am afraid. After the first breakfast I learnt not to ask for scrambled eggs as they are done in the microwave with added milk so arrive looking like an pale blancmange. The second day I had fried egg and bacon. The bacon was cremated and the egg is broken on top and then microwaved!!! Her profession is really a counsellor and I get the impression that she has the B&B running because she likes the company. Never again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GEOFFREY B

Reviewed 19 September 2011

Winsome was not expecting us but we were still made to feel very welcome. It was a lovely place to recover from our drive and very good value. Highlights included tea & biscuits by the fire, a pre-dinner tasting of the local pinot noir and the simple but yummy cooked breakfast. On Winsome's recommendation, we went for a walk along the lake around the old town on our way to dinner, which was a lovely way to start the evening. thanks for having us. :)

Room Tip: The twin room is spacious and is still worth staying in if the double is booked.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Decided to give it a go after speaking to the owner, who assured me that the negative comments were not a true reflection. No...it was worse. The owner runs another business from home so had people coming and going then a gentleman caller arrived and it was soon obvious that I was in the way and felt very uncomfortable and took myself off to my room and stayed there. The garden is overgrown and gives an immediate impression of a property not being looked after. After much friendly smiling the next day the owner strongly suggested I write a glowing report on Tripadvisor - can't do that I'm sorry to say....couldn't wait to get out of there.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 December 2009

Whilst traveling the South Island from Greymouth to Dunedin we needed a stop over in Central Otago and chose Cromwell to avoid the more touristy Queenstown, and Villa Rosa as a change from sterile hotels. We were not disappointed. We were given a very warm welcome, despite arriving early, and enjoyed a complementary glass of wine with our hostess in her sitting room. Our bedroom was very comfortable, with interesting art work, a separate little sitting area, a small but well appointed en-suite and our own private entrance through a beautiful garden.
After a good nights sleep we enjoyed a leisurely breakfast of porridge, homemade bread and fresh fruit.
The beauty of traveling is finding new places and meeting people who are interesting and interested in you too, and are happy to share a little part of their life with you. This was exactly that. If you are looking for a little piece of home on the road, you couldn't ask for better.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2009

We had a delightful stay at the Villa Rosa Bed & Breakfast in Cromwell - nicely decorated bedroom with big updated bathroom and a lovely view into the beautiful garden surrounding the cottage (lovely flowers). The hostess was wonderful and helpful in every way possible - we felt right at home and were definitely pampered! The price of the room was a bargain for the area and amenities - close to Queenstown (half hour drive) but much less in price for what you would find in Queenstown. The breakfast was fabulous - thanks to Winsome for everything - we would definitely stay at Villa Rosa againA!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2009

No one was home on the day I was booked to stay here & no one answered the phone, although it was after the stated check-in time. I waited outside accompanied by a cloud of flies, presumably attracted by the rotting fruit lying on the footpaths. After a few hours I went & booked alternative accommodation at the helpful information centre. When the B&B owner finally called me back, she grudgingly agreed to refund the 2 days I had prepaid, but she never did. There are plenty of better, friendlier places to stay in this lovely area.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
WillsherCromwell, Owner / Operator at Villa Rosa Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2009

This young womans brother and sister in law did stay that weekend with me and wrote in my guest book that everything was perfect.
I have apologised profusely and refunded all of her $100. However I acknowledge that the time on my Vianet site for booking in had gone back to the default position and was incorrect, it is now 4pm. It was a very hot day 35 degrees. The damage has been profound as she did not contact me untill she was at our local Information Centre and had made other bookings and I guess had the moral support of the office staff. I usually have a good experience with my B&B Guests, this has shocked me and got me thinking how can I attract people who will enjoy and appreciate my unique garden, household and surroundings in particular.

Reviewed 20 December 2006

Happened on this place by chance and we were lucky to do so - beautiful small cottage property with a lovely garden in a quiet area of Cromwell. The owner is very welcoming and gave lots of help and advice on the locality.

The rooms were nicely decorated, with comfortable beds and television with DVD, etc. Breakfast was fab, but this is the rule in New Zealand.

One of the best things about it was the price - really reasonable. If you are visiting Queenstown , don't stay there and pay their silly prices, Cromwell is only half an hours drive away and its half the price!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank D H