“A great place in Central Otago”
Review of Harvest Hotel

Harvest Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Cromwell
Christchurch, New Zealand
“A great place in Central Otago”
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I stay at the Golden Gate regularly whilst in Central Otago on business. I have always found all staff pleasant and helpful. Meals are excellent, well presented and more that adequate in volume. The establishment is undergoing a bit of an up-lift at present which was about due. The rooms are not 5 star but serve their purpose. i have no intentions of changing away from here.

Room Tip: A room at the North Eastern end gives a view of the golf course and nice early morning sun shine
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 July 2012

There is plenty of choice around Cromwell but this the only large tourist style hotel. The rooms were large but a bit lacking in character. We found the staff helpfull and the food quite nice. There is nothing quite like this part of Central Otago on a clear winter morning. Crisp and beautiful.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Oamaru, Otago, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I have been to the Golden Gate twice now and both times the staff have been rude. The first time we had to ask them if we could sit anywhere, and then again had to ask for a menu before returning to the bar to place our order. The food was lovely, but the attitude of the staff to put it nicely stinks.

The second time we placed an order at the bar for one of the pizzas. It was about 4.50pm when we ordered and got told it would be about 15 minutes. We sat and read the paper for a while. At 5.15pm I asked the staff if there was any sign of the pizza. I was told that they were busy with a conference but would check with the kitchen. The staff came out with our pizza and garlic bread and then told me that we were lucky as they don't start cooking until 5pm. Again the food was great. Well done tot he kitchen staff, shame about the front of house.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Wendy S
, General Manager at Harvest Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Wendy S, I was dissappointed to read your comments as we take pride in our Food and Beverage service. It is embarrassing that this has occurred twice, let alone to the same person. I will be personally actioning this with staff . I hope you will make contact with me so I can discuss directly with you.

Glen Christiansen - General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Cromwell hotels

Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Stayed here on business recently.

The decor of the rooms are a bit tired but they are warm on a frosty night. There was painting activity in one wing.
The restaurant was simple but well cooked and presented food.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Spoke to a lovely person on the phone who quoted me one price, but receptionist initially took offense when I mentioned the quote given. Rooms and decor are a little outdated for the price.

• Stayed June 2012
Oroua Downs, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Large rooms, comfortable bed. Washbasin not in bathroom - that's odd.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I would highly recommend the Golden Gate Lodge for your Wedding. I got married in the beautifully maintained court yard outside of the conference centre and also had my reception at the Conference centre. We all had the best day EVER and this mainly comes down the exceptional staff who helped plan our special day. Karen and her team made my wedding day the most memorable day ever, the day was so relaxing and the word stress did not even come into it. I wish I could do it all over again. The conference did not even look like a conference room after all the beautiful chiffon coverings went up all around the walls and ceilings...it looked like a wedding venue! The rooms we had were very clean, comfortable and spacious and all with balconies or courtyards. The reception/bar/kitchen (all staff) we so very friendly and accommodating. Glen and his team run a fantastic business, if anyone is looking for somewhere to have your wedding service and wedding reception all in the one place, this is the place to go. The majority of our guest stayed at the Golden Gate also, therefore no one has to drive anywhere...convenience at your door step!!!! Once again, thanks to Glen, Karen and team, you truly have made my wedding day a memorable one....cheers

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple