“Some much for free Wifi”
Review of Harvest Hotel

Harvest Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Cromwell
Reviewed 4 January 2013

In this day and age where a cellphone has become as standed as having the keys to your home in your pocket I was disappointed that the places still charge for Wifi access despite being patrons.

We decided to enjoy our last family dinner together at the Golden gate to catch up on all the last bits of news and finalize our travel plans by checking on a few things online. Upon arriving low and behold we were told that should we want to go online we could buy a card : 4 dollars for an hour.

Why it wasn't free for diners ...

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 January 2013

The Golden Gate Lodge was our second choice and turned out to be a good one. Whilst the whole complex could do with a refurb the rooms were very clean and comfortable.
The staff were friendly and table service fine. My steak was cooked to perfection (rare) something many chefs are unable to do it would seem. My companions were also happy with their meals.
We would all happily stay there again

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I stay at the Golden Gate regularly whilst in Central Otago on business. I have always found all staff pleasant and helpful. Meals are excellent, well presented and more that adequate in volume. The establishment is undergoing a bit of an up-lift at present which was about due. The rooms are not 5 star but serve their purpose. i have no intentions of changing away from here.

Room Tip: A room at the North Eastern end gives a view of the golf course and nice early morning sun shine
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 July 2012

There is plenty of choice around Cromwell but this the only large tourist style hotel. The rooms were large but a bit lacking in character. We found the staff helpfull and the food quite nice. There is nothing quite like this part of Central Otago on a clear winter morning. Crisp and beautiful.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I have been to the Golden Gate twice now and both times the staff have been rude. The first time we had to ask them if we could sit anywhere, and then again had to ask for a menu before returning to the bar to place our order. The food was lovely, but the attitude of the staff to put it nicely stinks.

The second time we placed an order at the bar for one of the pizzas. It was about 4.50pm when we ordered and got told it would be about 15 minutes. We sat and read the paper for a while. At 5.15pm I asked the staff if there was any sign of the pizza. I was told that they were busy with a conference but would check with the kitchen. The staff came out with our pizza and garlic bread and then told me that we were lucky as they don't start cooking until 5pm. Again the food was great. Well done tot he kitchen staff, shame about the front of house.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Wendy S
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Wendy S, I was dissappointed to read your comments as we take pride in our Food and Beverage service. It is embarrassing that this has occurred twice, let alone to the same person. I will be personally actioning this with staff . I hope you will make contact with me so I can discuss directly with you.

Glen Christiansen - General Manager

Reviewed 5 July 2012

Stayed here on business recently.

The decor of the rooms are a bit tired but they are warm on a frosty night. There was painting activity in one wing.
The restaurant was simple but well cooked and presented food.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Spoke to a lovely person on the phone who quoted me one price, but receptionist initially took offense when I mentioned the quote given. Rooms and decor are a little outdated for the price.

• Stayed: June 2012