“Highly recomended”

Esprit-Libre Restaurant & Guest-House
London, United Kingdom
“Highly recomended”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stayed here for a week in November 2013. All in all it was excellent. The staff go out of their way to help you, always with a smile. Everything is immaculate, the rooms are well laid out, everything works, the A/C is excellent and the beds are very comfy.

Not their fault, but it would be great to be closer to the beach. You can walk to Choisi public beach in about 6 minutes, it is a lovely place to swim, ski and relax. Other beaches on the other side of Grand Baie are well worth a visit too.

Room Tip: We had the standard doubles, they were great.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Beau Bassin - Rose Hill
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We went there to celebrate our 5 yr of being together. What can I say? Except that it was an awesome week-end. Jenny was the one greeted us and led us to a nice comfortable room with an amazing bathroom. When she learnt that it was our anniversary, she told us to go enjoy our free arrival drink at the bar and when we came back, the room had been decorated with flowers. There were flower petals everywhere... on the floor, in the bathroom. The best was yet to come... The same night we met Jerome, the owner. He is every bit as charming and gracious as he has been described in other reviews. He has this french charm going on and frankly I found myself giggling like a schoolgirl. I honestly think that Jerome is the life and soul of this place... And the food was great also! The skin-on potatoes are the best I've had. I am going back there in December because it is simply a great place to be when you want to get away from the perks of city life...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alysta17
netherlands
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We went there for 4 nights. We took the Suite Luxe (a large minimalist room, with bathroom, and soon-to-be private patio). Nice TV set, Wifi was sometimes a bit unstable inside.
The young French owner is dynamic, friendly, and he will help you a lot for any request.
The Table d'Hote is very good (yummy lemon pie), though the menu card is not renewed frequently.
Breakfasts (though not copious) are well made (many choices) and tasty.
The location is good (with easy frequent local bus access to Grand Bay, with a string of local restaurants and boutiques, including new shopping malls). Be aware that the Mont Choisy nice beach access is via a 8 to 10 mn walk via the normal macadam busy road, without any dedicated pedestrian path. Few shops around the corner, including local supermarkets.
It is located near famous Club Med.
Easy access to capital Port-Louis via express bus at Grand Bay.
In a nutshell, it is worth the value.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Lunch for two adults and two kids - I had a beef burger which was quite simply the best I've ever eaten, the kids split a ham and cheese baguette with skin-on French fries (they hated those so I scored) and the Missus had a lovely salad. The setting of a few outside tables in a sculpted garden is excellent, service good and menu, while limited to a handful of dishes, shows imagination and flair. Expensive by South African standards, it cost almost 1800 rupees which would have seen is all kitted out with seafood platters back home but I paid without a murmur because the overall experience was worth it. Besides I had paid almost as much for some revolting, oversalted fast food at the La Croisette food court the day before and there was no comparison at all. We didn't need to stay at the boutique hotel as we were using a friend's cottage in Mont Choisy, but I am sure the experience would be well worth the price.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I didn't make a reservation for a hotel since I was flying standby and wasn't sure when I was going to be there. I tried Les Lauriers, but they told me to come back the next day since it was late around 10pm. I walked into a restaurant to ask if there was any place to stay and a local told me to try Esprit Libre. I was welcomed by Jerome and he showed me to a very nice room with air conditioning. I was very pleased with my short stay there and the breakfast at the restaurant was great. Jerome was extremely helpful and went out of his way to assist me by recommending restaurants and sights to see. This was my first time visiting and I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank danliebmann
Mauritius
Reviewed 24 January 2013

We stayed here last July after arriving in Mauritius and discovering that the villa that we had booked and paid for did not exist and we had been defrauded by a somewhat infamous Mauritius resident. Somewhat depressed and with nowhere to stay we found Esprit-Libre through Tripadvisor. It had changed hands and was now owned and run by Jerome, a lovely, helpful and knowledgeable host. He will advise restaurants, arrange taxis and for us organised estate agents to show us suitable apartments - beyond the call of duty!

The rooms are beautifully furnished in an understated, relaxing way. Breakfast was lovely - especially the Pain Perdu, there is a lounge with a bar area which is small and friendly with an honours system in the evening. There is also an outside bar area.There is free WI-FI (why can't the large hotels provide this?), and DVD's to borrow. There is a pool with a sitting area around it. Some of the rooms have their own small patio and also sofas in the room. Jerome has recently refurbished additional rooms - all to a high standard and has family rooms which actually provide privacy for parents. The restaurant is open for lunch - not every day - and the food is fresh and good and service is definitely with a smile. We returned to Mauritius this January and went back for lunch which was very good.

Mon Choisy has a good public beach and some good restaurants. The bus to Grand Bai leaves from close to the hotel.

This is a great choice if you are looking for a quality place without the bling of the large hotels and with relaxed but efficient service.

Room Tip: Call and speak to Jerome - he speaks French and English and probably other languages - he can advise...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 18 November 2012

We have just returned from 10days at Esprit-Libre. The accommodation is no longer owned by Stephan & Andre. Jerome, is the new owner and he couldn't do enough for us. The location of the B&B is perfect. You are able to get the bus to Grand Bay or walk, where you have a choice of restaurants for your evening meal/drinks. Jermone will also make you reservations at any restaurant. You are also in walking distance of the beach/small shops. This B&B is wonderful. It's very high class.Most rooms have T.V & Internet, All the rooms have air conditioning and a private patio area. There is a small bar area if you just want to chill with a beer. There is parking if you have a hire car. The rooms are tastefully decorated. All the staff were very helpful, tending to our every need. The breakfasts were amazing. It was a real pleasure staying at Esprit-Libre and I would defiantly stay again. This is a perfect option if you don't want to go All Inclusive.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Ocean Villas
Ocean Villas
#14 of 28 in Grand Baie
Mont Choisy Coral Azur Beach Resort
Mont Choisy Coral Azur Beach Res...
#3 of 10 in Trou aux Biches
Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resor...
#2 of 5 in Pointe aux Canonniers

Been to Esprit-Libre Restaurant & Guest-House? Share your experiences!