“Great lodge - great staffs”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Paraa Safari Lodge

Paraa Safari Lodge
Gulu, Uganda
“Great lodge - great staffs”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Me and my family have been regulars to Paraa for over 10years now.
We have always been very comfortable in the lodge, we mainly travel there to rest, enjoy the scenery and if we feel like it we go for a game drive... We have loved Paraa ever since day 1, probably one of the best safari Lodge in Uganda.

The lodge is perfectly located for adequate game drives, you do not need to cross the river with the ferry in order to have an early morning cats search. Clean, and comfortable, nice and spacious rooms. It has a pool which has plenty of shallow parts which is great for kids.... it also has a bar which is very handy and offers ice cream, all sorts of drinks (both alcoholic and non), and some snacks....

The General Manager, Mr.Crispus, is great, cordial and very welcoming as always.

If you are lucky and willing to wait late at night you might spot a leopard when it is patrolling. This time I had the luck to see one as it approached the lodge. It was amazing.

Our only disappointment during our stay has been the quality of the food offered. This wants to be a general comment to Marasa. It seems that since the former Operations Manager left for the government job the quality of the food has reduced. When asked I was informed that the company is trying to reduce costs, but this should not be an excuse to serve stale and at least 2 days "old" bacon in the morning for breakfast. You risk getting people very sick. I did make the waiters notice and they promptly removed all the bacon they were serving at the buffet. This shouldn't happen. It made me wonder also about how the cold chain is kept and storage is secured. Generally speaking the food has been satisfactory but not great as it used to be in the past. We used to value Marasa for the quality offered but I must admit that the general trend has been changing. I hope the management will be able to revert to the high standard cuisine they used to offer and which it made them famous.

A part from this hiccup, Paraa has been very pleasant, as always.

Room Tip: 104-105 are communicating rooms with stunning views, generally quiet, AC and a nice balcony...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ayo78
UGReview, Manager at Paraa Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
I am writing in response to the comments entitled “Great lodge – great staffs”. I do recall the guests and I would like to thank them for the positive comments regarding the pool, bar and Paraa lodge in general.
Regarding the quality of food I feel that it would be helpful to clear a few points. We have never tried to reduce costs by economising in any of our bars and restaurants. We operate with HACCP – hazard analysis and critical control points – a stringent food safety and hygiene program which is mandatory for all of our food and beverage staff. Under this we would not at any time serve food that is two days old. In this instance the guest complained that the bacon was not to their taste hence we took away their individual plate – not the entire buffet as was mentioned – and changed the bacon for the guest as the one on the buffet was too lean as per their preference. In general we try to keep the food on the buffet as healthy as possible and this will include the addition of fresh fruits and leaner cuts of meat but this is not to everyone’s taste hence for those who may prefer an alternative which may be higher in calories we are happy to oblige on an individual basis.
Our experienced executive chef has expanded our menus to also include many locally sourced fresh ingredients and live cooking in the restaurant. In general the feedback has been very positive and I am sorry that in this instance we were not able to meet the guest’s expectations however I would like to take this opportunity to stress that we insist on hygiene, quality and fresh products at all times and there has never been a case where old food is repeated on the menu.

Crispus Nguraru Mwamidi,
General Manager,
Paraa Safari Lodge,
P.O. Box 22827 Kampala,
Tel: +256 772799991 | +256772788880
Fax: +256 392280588,
Email: gm@paraalodge.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The Paraa Safari lodge was an excellent escape from Kampala for myself and my wife. She had aranged and booked the whole thing herself and being Ugandan, she was able to get good deals for the both of us. The hotel seems to be designed for couples who want a scenic escape from it all.

From day one, I loved the hotel and the service was exceptional. The room was large, with a massive bed, large private balcony, large bathroom and we were made to feel at home from day one. I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

Our room was on the second floor and faced towards the Nile river that runs alongside, so we got the afternoon sun and the scenery was amazing. In the distance you can hear varieties of birds as well as hippos & elephants and it feels as if you're really part of Africa as it should be experienced.

There was no downside to this hotel that I experienced. There is plenty to do in regards to sightseeing and Murchison Falls is a must see if you stay anywhere near this area. The area is perfect for safari's and on return to the hotel, a swim in the pool or just a relaxing walk around the grounds is ideal. There are many varieties of colourful and completely harmless Agama lizards that can be found around the pool eating insects or just sunning themselves on rocks. A river cruise is perfect and you can get up close to large crocodiles, hippos & elephants making for some excellent photo opportunities. The area is notorious for tsetse flies, so a good repellant is a must if you go on safari or river cruises.

The food is exquisite and you're spoilt for choice. It was very romantic to just have a late meal at our table by the balcony and enjoy each others company. I recommend this hotel to all couples who want to experience the best that Uganda has to offer.

Room Tip: try to get a room on the second level that overlook the Nile river. The view is excellent and the no...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Washington
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I was quite comfortable at Paara. The staff were friendly and helpful. The location is superb because the lodge is across the river allowing guests to get out early / stay later to drive through the park looking for wildlife at the ideal times without having to deal with the ferry crossing. Hippos were still out grazing and we even saw a pride of lions feasting (unlucky kob). Kob were all around alarm calling and remaining vigilant, which made it all the more dramatic. Even with light morning rain the following day, we saw plenty.
Don't miss the boat ride. It's a great chance to get "cruise on the Nile" ticked off your bucket list. A word to the wise, if you pack a snack for that boat trip be cautious at the baboons. I was rushed by a big make before friends noticed and cared him back.
Because it was low season, there was a fixed menu rather than buffet during the week. The dining room staff were very flexible to accommodate a vegetarian option. I found the food quite tasty. One night, the kitchen experimented with a frozen dessert made of avocado. It was unexpectedly delicious. I loved it so much, I asked if I might have it again the next night and they were more than glad to accommodate.
The value here is impressive, especially in the low season. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The Paraa lodge is a very beautiful lodge in the best of settings at Murchison. The facilities are excellent, and the two times I have been there, I enjoyed it a lot. But the service is the worst I have ever experienced in Uganda. I waited almost 2 hours for a sandwich I ordered, which was even kind of lousy, taking the price into consideration. Arriving at the lodge it took them 2 hours to get the room ready, and they never really had what was on the menu. In general it seemed like a hazard to them when asking for any kind of service. Over all I would have loved to give the lodge an excellent rating, because it is a nice lodge. But when the price is about 400 $ per night, the service and food has to be of a better standard. It seems as if it lacks competition, so the service level is scraping bottom. My recommendation to other travelers is that its worth the stay, if you are willing to pay overprice for food and service. Only go to Paraa Lodge to enjoy the settings and facilities.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marie_HJ
Nolensville, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Wow! What a great place to stay! Concluding our mission work in Kampala, our group took the 7-8 hour drive to Paraa for a safari. The roads were quite rough in some spots but it was definitely worth it once we arrived at the lodge. Access to the lodge is by ferry----this was the only negative event that we encountered…our group had arrived 3 minutes late from the published "launch time"….the next ferry would not leave for another two hours. The ferry operator had just pulled in and, in spite of all of our pleas, decided that he wanted to take his lunch and not transport us across the river (even though it is only a several minute ferry ride). We ended up paying some local boats to take us across. What was nice, though, was when the lodge heard about what had happened, they reimbursed us the local boat fees. That doesn't happen very often! Paraa Lodge is beautiful…the rooms are large and very clean…beds are complete with mosquito nets as well as private in-room bathrooms with hot showers! Dinner is served "buffet" style…..awesome…so many choices…you will definitely not go away hungry. Staff was very accommodating and friendly. Nice, soothing pool overlooking the Nile….and if you are "lucky", you will encounter some of the baboons that are just curious enough to see if any food was left out just for them! We took the boat excursion up the Nile to the base of Murchison Falls….nice relaxing trip…saw baboons, elephants, hippos, birds, etc. Topped the trip off with an evening Safari---saw elephants, giraffes, and incredibly excited to see a mama lion with her four cubs! Would highly recommend this lodge and the safari trip.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I've visited a lot of Safari Lodges in Kenya and Tanzania but this lodge is quite possibly the best that I've experienced. The lodge meets all expectations that an individual should have. It isn't luxury from a "Ritz" sense of the word but the lodge provides every thing a safari traveler should expect.

Rooms while not air conditioned are large, comfortable and complete with ceiling fans. The bathrooms are up to date with plenty of water pressure and hot water.

Public spaces, including the infinity pool, are just wonderful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul L
Hermanus
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Very comfortable lodge in Murchison Falls NP. Access by ferry with limited space. Need to book if in own 4x4. Only runs every 2 hours during daylight. Nice view across the countryside. Buffet style food but plenty of choice and good. Caters for large parties. Has Wi-Fi (which I hate to see at camps/parks as they should be peaceful and not with everyone running around with iPads and iPhones). Satellite TV in bar, Credit Card facilities.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
#17 of 32 in Queen Elizabeth National Park
Ruhija Gorilla Safari Lodge
Ruhija Gorilla Safari Lodge
#19 of 31 in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park

Been to Paraa Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!