“Wonderful family hotel.”

Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Unawatuna
Oslo, Norway
“Wonderful family hotel.”
Reviewed 22 April 2011

We stayed at UBB hotel since 18 april, and we found everything perfect ,The service, the room, cleanliness and wonderful food.

The owner(Niel) was very gentle, helpful and friendly. We had realy nice days at UBB hotel and hardly recomended this hotel for families and everyone.

Regards from
Gina.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mali-277

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Very bad surprise at the end of the trip when we paid the room.

We gave the money to the owner (who was drunk), he counted in front of us and it was fine. He went to kitchen few minutes and he came back saying that we did not give enough.... he was telling a lie !!

And he started to be very agressive and we felt scared ... so we paid 30 dollars more ... but we were honest and he was a stealer ...... VERY BAD EXPERIENCE
Don t go to this place !!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
12 Thank gemko305
Neil006, General Manager at Unawatuna Beach Bungalow Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2011
Dear Sir,
I am very sorry, this have never happen before. I apologize for what have been happen. I'm not a stealer. Off cause it is me who have done the wrong thing here. When you did the counting for the bill in the restaurant I was a little bit confused. At that time I also should been counting. Unfortunately I took the amount and counting when I came to my kitchen. What I find out when I count, was that it was Rupees 3000 less than the bill. Anyway it was my fold not to count there and then in the restaurant. Again I'm very sorry and feel very uncomfortable when our guest leave us in leaving us with this opinion. Hope you can come back at a later date and that we can do it good for you again!

Sarath
Owner
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 13 March 2011

For me it was the fouth time I stayed at Unawatuna beach bungalows.It is gas allways been a good place to stay. This year they made a start to put AC in more rooms.

Sarath (the owner) is very friendly and helpful. You will also find his family around.

When you want to make some trips, Sarath can help you with it or his brother Lal will show you the nice spots in the environment.
Rooms are cleaned every day. In the morning you get a good breakfast. Sarath cook very good meals.

It is realy just a few meters to go to the beach. When you go to sleep it is so good to hear the sea at the background.

Rita (Netherlands)

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank rita_nl
Burgos, Spain
Reviewed 10 December 2010

The best hotel of its range in the best part of the beach,without any doubt.
We arrived in Unawatuna, and we saw other hotel recommended in the Blue Guide in the same street but, owing to its lack of cleanliness, we decided to come to this hotel because of its cleanliness and nice looking. Sheets were very clean and ironed, nice room, and the staff was very nice. And everything at a reasonable price.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rilanka
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 7 November 2010

I am in Unawatuna, and I have the room at the top for a couple of days. I hear the ocean rolling in when I wake up, and it's fantastic. Comfortable bed. The mosquito net is a spacey one that doesnt stick to you, and there are a couple of more convenient details. But the best one is the location and the windows to the coast.
The owner's really nice. If you want to make a reservation, use his website: http://unawatuna-beachbungalow.com or contact him at unawatunabeachbungalow@yahoo.com

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank janaljubl
London
Reviewed 9 October 2010

This guest house is a friendly, family run guest house in a central location metres form the beach in Unawatuna. The staff are all welcoming and will do anything to help. Rooms are simple but tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean- they have offered to clean them daily if desired. Matresses are comfortable and the bouncy pillows divine! They are able to arrange tuk tuk's, taxi's and tour's which are in line with prices charged at other places. The breakfasts are cooked fresh to your requirements and are of a good standard. Internet access is free.

We have travelled extensively around Sri Lanka staying in a variety of budget - mid-range accommodation and have returned here for our final few days.

For the price (2000R per double room including tax and breakfast, as we stayed for an extended period of time out of season), this accommodation far exceeds anywhere else we have looked at or stayed at (including in Unawatuna).

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank icklenic82
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2010

We decided to stay in Unwatauna for the night instead of Galle - and it was a great decision. The beach at Unawatuna is amazing and there are some great restaurants along the beach at night for great dinners. It pays to shop around because we called up various guest houses in our guide book all of which received very similar reviews - but some of them were asking for obscene amounts of money whilst this place asked for a very reasonable price (including breakfast, no extras). I get the feeling that some Sri Lankans are under the impression that we foreigners are made of money - which is definitely not true in my case!

When we arrived, the place was deserted. No one guest, not one person, front door wide open. I ran around the place shouting AYUBOWAN?! HELLO?!? And we sat there for nearly twenty minutes wondering if we should give up and move on to somewhere else before an old lady walking down the road popped her head in and came to our rescue. She told us to wait whilst she tracked down the owner of the place. Thank goodness for her otherwise I think we would've gone elsewhere.

The room was decent with mosquito nets and good A/C - the bathroom was very basic but well, what do you expect. The furniture in the room was rather old and falling apart (the dresser had a pane of glass which was broken and had a sharp jagged edge, dangerous!) The door was also looking quite old and frail and here's the scary part. I had forgotten something in my room and tried to open the door in a hurry without unlocking it first - and guess what? The door actually opened because the lock is just so old and knackered, it made no difference whether you locked it or not. Dear me.

Fortunately, we were the only guests there at the time - so I didn't worry too much and as we were only there for one night, I didn't kick up a fuss.

The beach is 2 - 3 minutes walk away, it's not directly on the beach but the short walk is easy and means that it is slightly cheaper than hotels which are literally on the beach at the high tide mark.

The breakfast is very bland and boring - the portions of the fruit were stingy as well and if you do want a Sri Lankan breakfast, remember to request it in advance or else they will simply assume that as a foreigner you actually like plain white toast with butter for breakfast. Duh.

A decent option for the price - but double check that the lock on your door works when you are shown your room and ask for a Sri Lankan breakfast!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple