“We were three generations staying for seven nights in September and all three generations had rave reviews”
Review of Kurulla Villa

Kurulla Villa
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Unawatuna
Kurulla Villa
Reviewed 20 September 2011

From the time you enter the gates to the walk to the infinity swimming pool, no tall claims but you will be amazed at the luxury provided in a simple setting. Kurulla villa has it all, lush greenery, the infinity pool, gorgeous rooms and my son - two years old just loved the open air shower.
To get up to the sound of birds and squirrels on your doorstep and one morning; a large snail was too amazing for my two year old. And not to forget my 87 year old dad just could not get enough of lounging in the pool area and dipping his tired legs every now and then.
The staff were very prompt and always there to help but never once got in the way, though the hygiene standards of the kitchen need to be stepped up a notch, everything fitted in so superbly to our plan to have a great family holiday. The cook really amazes you with the variety and what was most charming was whenever he did not know to make a dish the real sri lankan way he would go this house and get his mother to make it for us. Very cute and to top it all we realised this only on the lsat day. Thanks to him my son always got his food on time and oh Lolla the dog, she was part of the family, and so friendly-though sometimes we got the feeling she owned Kurulla villa. Even the night watchman was so courteous.
We have been using trip advisor for four years now and have stayed at almost 11 such apartments/villas; so if you want a real peacful holiday with you going to the market in a tuk tuk, the cook takes you to the market mind you..in his pink little tuk tuk. And we have not had fresher fish and the amount of passion fruit we gorged on was amazing. Kurulla villa gives you abundance in terms of location, peace, fun(the beaches close by and the turtle farm was inspiring) Just a word of advise, ac needs to be in the third room, the net over the bed needs to be perforated, may be two more fans in the living room may make a big difference and yes the kitchen hygiene needs to be upgraded just a little bit.
But all in all from my father-amazing place, from my son-life could not be better and exciting running around one more time in the garden and jumping in the pool, from my wife-well she could finally catch up on her sleep and myself-of course we will be back.
Trevor, Nikki, Kidd and the rest of the family will be back

Room Tip: If you are a couple or family in need of lots of space, the this is the place for you
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank TTPJTR

Reviewed 5 July 2011

I worked for a year to pay to stay at this lovely looking villa, costing me $2200 for eleven nights.
Unfortunately-in true English style, what was on the tin was not in the tin!
1) Outside shower to bathe under the stars-no-there wasn't, this was a store room that could be seen from all the villa's windows and doors, stuffed with ladders, tools, empty beer bottles and trash.
2) 180 channels on the "surround sound music system" magnificent TV. No-not even cable. My laptop is 17" which was larger than the advertized fantastic entertainment center.
3) Villa staff having their girlfriends stay over, using house as their own. Walked in from the pool area one afternoon to find the cook with the security guard's girlfriend sat lounging on the sofas watching the cricket on said tiny tv.
4) Majority of light fittings did not work, in the lounge area NONE of the standard lamps worked, neither did the fan directly over the dining table. AS this one of only two fans, the other being positioned over nothing, meant there was no circulating air in that room.
5) Also whilst swimming in the pool one lunchtime swam straight into the girlfriend's diaphragm!!! At this point I spoke with the staff ( as also the young lady in question was very relaxed to be sat on the villa's telephone in the lounge room, not bothering to remove herself when I entered the room ) and asked that the women left immediately as I had paid a very real lot of money for this experience and that I was never alone! I was then told the girlfriend would be leaving the next day, I had no choice in the matter.
6) I was buying food that was also being surreptitiously used by the staff, when this was brought up with the British owner - who lives in HK so had to be emailed, and was emailed several times with various issues I was having, to be told that staff certainly shouldn't be eating my food.
Since returning home I have had a small contact with the villa owner Sue Fitzgerald, about the poor experience, who has not even apologized for what I have had to endure, and I think at what I paid for that villa the whole experience left me with a nasty taste in the mouth.
Outrageous. (I was worried when no reviews had been left for the villa sinve 2008, now I know why).

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank alabamageisha
SLTL, Owner at Kurulla Villa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2011

I think it is suffice to say, based on all other reviews of Kurulla on many rental websites that there is something more going on with this content. There is little evidence of what is claimed and i, the owner, am always on the end of my phone having been renting properties around the world for many years. It has to be said that i have never faced this before. These allegations are most damaging and advice is being sought as such content should not be allowed to be posted without evidence.

Reviewed 21 September 2008

This villa is really amazing. The pictures just don't do it justice as it is much grander and full of antique furniture and gorgeous features. We loved the outdoor shower and the huge pool. Chandana was brilliant and served us great food at all hours of the day. It was really relaxing and I'd go back at the drop of a hat.

3  Thank Millimoo1
Reviewed 13 September 2008

We spent a wonderful week in Sri Lanka at Kurulla Villa. The place has a real sense of luxury while at the same time making you feel at home. We were lucky with the weather and spent hours enjoying the magnificent pool and garden. Our two children aged 12 and 15 entertained themselves happily and were reluctantly dragged away to see the local attractions. The villa was conveniently located near Galle and Unawatuna Beach and other than a longish tuk tuk ride down to the Fortress Hotel we did not venture far from the peace of the villa. Chandana the housekeeper was attentive to our every need and the chef prepared us lots of tasty meals including pasta dishes and chips for the kids. Sitting on the verandah in the evening was pure heaven with a Gin and Tonic or a cold beer delivered whenever we asked and not at hotel prices.
We saw the villa on the holiday rentals website and contacted the owner Sue Fitzgerald who was extremely helpful arranging a driver to pick us up from the airport. It cost us just over GBP1,000 for the week, a bargain for what we got. We are planning a return trip with friends next year.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Stanleyite