“So close to the water, there is no place to sit. . .”
Review of Banana Garden

Banana Garden
Ranked #105 of 146 Unawatuna B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“So close to the water, there is no place to sit. . .”
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Stayed here 2 nights, reception did the old switch-a-roo on the room shown (suddenly it was booked), so we were stuck with a lower room, and literally had to walk through the water to get onto the stairs. The upper rooms with balconies and space for chairs are better.

Our room bordered the restaurant as well as the storage room and common wash-room. The wall of our room and bathroom shared a wall with these areas and there was a vented screen in both rooms that allowed air (NOISE) and light to come through (I am tall and walked around to the outside hallway and could actually see inside our bathroom through the slats without much difficulty. AWESOME.

The room was clean and tidy, ceiling fan was operating, but the thickness of the ceiling part of our mosquito net obstructed air flow, making the beach front room rather stuffy.

There is no place to sit on the beach in front of the property, as it is literally built right on the sand. We found ourselves walking 100 meters or so westward past the UBR to meet up with friends and hang on their lounges.

This is good: I paid to have some laundry done at the front desk, and was told it would be ready the next day. I inquired then, and was told it was "being ironed". I finally received the bag and in my hurry to catch a bus, never opened and checked the bag. You guessed it, the next day in Colombo I was surprised to see my pants with the same mud stains they had on them when I dropped them off. None of the laundry was washed, or ironed. I looked/smelled great on the flight home.

In general Unawatuna is geared for the party type, and we could see the beach bars beginning to dominate the landscape. I was glad we only spent 2 nights here.

Room Tip: upstairs or further down the beach to another property
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Qatar
Reviewed 10 June 2012 via mobile

So fist off the beach! If ur looking to get drunk with tatto british thugs on a dirty badly managed beach this is the place for you! Non authentic sri lankin beach and very over rated and over priced hotels!
Hotel: located 20 meters from the big night club, right on the main road so forget about a good rest! Rooms are very basic, bathroom poor, bed alright! Other the. The receptionist staff dont care, unable to accomidate a simple request of chicking out at 1 rather then 12. Wanted to charge me extra day for that, this sums up what this hole beach is about ripping off tourist with bad service!
I strongly suggest to go further down to marrisa beach for a fantastic chilled time on great beach with great service!

• Stayed June 2012

Travellers are raving about these Unawatuna hotels

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 4 June 2012

the deviled pork with red rice is worth a try ! portions are huge so i'd say 2 can share one easily but again depends on your appetite. the arrack cocktail was gorgeous as well. lovely service and my husband and i had a nice romantic dinner by the beach
we took a look at the rooms and found them to b quite dusty and small.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Colombo, null, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I was travel to unwatuna last Sunday for the my business discussion, I decided to night bananagarden. The hotel is very friendly staff, manager Saliya care about every guest. The room is need to color wash, it is beach frontage looking at Indian ocean when I having my bed tea. I can recommend any businesswoman have a choose this place safe and comfortable.

Room Tip: Get the Balcony this name Banana Shed... good and quiet room.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Seoul
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I stayed two nights at BG. I was given a room squeezed between the toilets and restaurant. The room door handle was broken and they wouldnt repair it. The toilet had to be opened and flushed manually. The windows blocked the way to the restaurant toilets, so the manager kept closing them even while I was in the room. The beach is swimmable here but very narrow and boats parked in front. Very overpriced for this beach. Many choices at Unwatuna, try others.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank glennbrad
Reviewed 12 February 2012

we stayed here as a last resort (NYE and everything else fully-booked)
It was AWFUL
The staff constantly hustled us, trying to sell things
The rooms were dirty (cockroaches and whatever else - so dark and brown, probably just as well we could not see) and the electricity cut out at least three times per day - usually when you wanted to take a shower
You are compelled to be half-board, but the food was really quite awful - trying to get what you wanted was a challenge
Worst of all, having been totally ripped off staying here (we paid twice the price of much cleaner, european-run Sunil'a Garden at the other end of the bay), we returned to discover that we were charged an extortionate fee to use our card to pay the bill.
Awful, expensive experience!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pqowieuryt2
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Totally overpriced, but a fabulous setting (right on the beach) with great view. Friendly staff. Beds are extra length. Beers are cold. Rooms are dull, minimalistic, drab, dark and depressing (small windows). No facilities. Food is unimaginative, basic and only item worth mentioning is the prawns. Room rate is DB&B, so you have no choice but to eat there since you've paid for it. They're always punting the "local, hand-made Sri Lankan food", but even that lacks imagination. They play elevator music which is on "repeat" so be warned.

Room Tip: All are sea facing.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple