“Best place on the beach”
Review of Banana Garden

Banana Garden
Ranked #113 of 147 Unawatuna B&B and Inns
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Best place on the beach”
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I was here in March & April of 2012. My rating is for the restaurant that is on the bottom floor & the beach. I have to say the food and the service were fantastic. The staff made me feel at home, & were very attentive.

We ended up skipping the meals at our hotel, & eating mostly here. I can personally recommend the pineapple flitter & the mango lassie to anyone. The fish is fresh & delicious also. I spent a lot of time on the beach in front of their hotel as well. I really wished that I had stayed at the hotel, & I will definitely choose it next time I am back in Sri Lanka.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 2 January 2013

their management doesn't take any liability of their services . always trying to combat with the customers . now i know my decision was to go for this place was a terrible mistake . stay at a colombo hotel and go for galle is much much better bec u got a highway road . you can reach to galle within a hour

Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ruchi p

Travellers are raving about these Unawatuna hotels

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 11 December 2012

A nice place to stay for a day or two.
We was staying there for one night. The room was small, the aircondition was partly out of order,
There was a fan in the roof, an a refrigerator at the room, so it was ok.

The best with this place is the location. Directly at the beach. But be aware of some trafic noise, hence the main road is directly outside the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geir S
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Great place to stay. We had a room that was literally on the beach, which was amazing. It was the perfect start to our week on the south coast. The rooms don’t include breakfast, unlike many others stays in Sri Lanka, so be conscious of that; however, it didn’t matter as we found a very cheap and delicious rotti place just down the beach which met our needs for a few days! Rooms are really clean and are cleaned daily if you leave your key with reception. The manager was very helpful in helping us plan our onward journey back along the coast with lots of good suggestions about places to visit. Would definitely head back here again.

Room Tip: Check out a few different rooms before agreeing on price and room. Some rooms were much better value...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jodieodea
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Stayed here 2 nights, reception did the old switch-a-roo on the room shown (suddenly it was booked), so we were stuck with a lower room, and literally had to walk through the water to get onto the stairs. The upper rooms with balconies and space for chairs are better.

Our room bordered the restaurant as well as the storage room and common wash-room. The wall of our room and bathroom shared a wall with these areas and there was a vented screen in both rooms that allowed air (NOISE) and light to come through (I am tall and walked around to the outside hallway and could actually see inside our bathroom through the slats without much difficulty. AWESOME.

The room was clean and tidy, ceiling fan was operating, but the thickness of the ceiling part of our mosquito net obstructed air flow, making the beach front room rather stuffy.

There is no place to sit on the beach in front of the property, as it is literally built right on the sand. We found ourselves walking 100 meters or so westward past the UBR to meet up with friends and hang on their lounges.

This is good: I paid to have some laundry done at the front desk, and was told it would be ready the next day. I inquired then, and was told it was "being ironed". I finally received the bag and in my hurry to catch a bus, never opened and checked the bag. You guessed it, the next day in Colombo I was surprised to see my pants with the same mud stains they had on them when I dropped them off. None of the laundry was washed, or ironed. I looked/smelled great on the flight home.

In general Unawatuna is geared for the party type, and we could see the beach bars beginning to dominate the landscape. I was glad we only spent 2 nights here.

Room Tip: upstairs or further down the beach to another property
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Qatar
Reviewed 10 June 2012 via mobile

So fist off the beach! If ur looking to get drunk with tatto british thugs on a dirty badly managed beach this is the place for you! Non authentic sri lankin beach and very over rated and over priced hotels!
Hotel: located 20 meters from the big night club, right on the main road so forget about a good rest! Rooms are very basic, bathroom poor, bed alright! Other the. The receptionist staff dont care, unable to accomidate a simple request of chicking out at 1 rather then 12. Wanted to charge me extra day for that, this sums up what this hole beach is about ripping off tourist with bad service!
I strongly suggest to go further down to marrisa beach for a fantastic chilled time on great beach with great service!

• Stayed June 2012
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 4 June 2012

the deviled pork with red rice is worth a try ! portions are huge so i'd say 2 can share one easily but again depends on your appetite. the arrack cocktail was gorgeous as well. lovely service and my husband and i had a nice romantic dinner by the beach
we took a look at the rooms and found them to b quite dusty and small.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple