“Location or Value”

Full Moon Beach Resort
Ranked #36 of 149 Unawatuna B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I visit Unawatuna A LOT and I make it a point to stay in a different place everytime,so when I booked myself into Full Moon, I had a lot of expectations. I had heard a lot about the resort, and whenever I pass it, the place is always bustling. I stayed there for one night, and was terribly disappointed.

My room was very mouldy looking and although the sheets were clean, they looked worn. The towels were no better. The room was of a fair size and the air conditioning was fine, but the bathroom was tiny. Literally you could not move in the shower and the toilet fitting were REALLY OLD. As a word of advice, I also think that whenever you travel around Sri Lanka, unless you are staying at a star class hotel, it's always advisable to take your own towels.

I paid Rs 5500 for a double room, which in my opinion was definitely not worth it. The price was for room only so, given that breakfast was not included I really think that the place is a bit of a miss...
The service however was really good, and I was almost gutted that the room was in the condition it was, because the owners were SO nice. I almost wanted everything to be perfect.

The proprietors are Italian, but the place is now run by a extremely friendly local family. Each of the rooms is named after a province in Italy, and I stayed in the Verona room/ suite. The night I checked in, it was the owners birthday so I was invited to have dinner on his account. They were having a BBQ night, and the food was fantastic. The pasta was so good, I think I went for seconds and even thirds and they had a fair spread of both meat and sea food. The owners were the picture of "Southern hospitality".

All in all, if the room had been cheaper, I wouldn't have been as disappointed, but for the price paid and condition of the room, I must say that it was definitely NOT value for money.
The hotel however sits on the most perfect location on the Unawatuna stretch. There's plenty of bars and restaurants surrounding it, and on top of that, the bay is literally right at your footstep

One of the most popular bars on the stretch, Happy Banana is right next door and every Fri night they have a disco. Those nights, you can forget about sleeping early cause the walls are so thin you can hear the music throughout. Having said that, no one comes to Unawatuna to sleep early!!!

I guess, ultimately, it s a toss between what you want. Location or value...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed for a week in April and really had a wonderful time at Full Moon resort. The location is perfect - right on the beach and plenty of restaurants and bars to chose from nearby. Our room was clean and the air-conditioning was nice and powerful. It's not a 4 or 5 star but it's exactly what you need in Unawatuna.

The staff were all very friendly and relaxed - we organised a whale watching trip with the hotel which was a lot cheaper than some on offer and worked out really well. We only ate once in the hotel for lunch and it was nice. We thought the prices for dinner were a bit expensive and there are a lot better value restaurants nearby - the jumbo prawns are a must wherever you go! We had a few drinks in the bar in the evening - the mojitos were gorgeous - a bit pricey but only compared to the beer. I would suggest to get a room at the back as otherwise it will be a bit noisy but we were fine once we had a few drinks and put the AC on!

Unawatuna is a great place which we loved and we would definitely stay at the full moon resort again if we're ever lucky enough to go back.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Helen W
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Good location, right on the beach with good beach beds which we used several times but we ate there only once and it was not worth trying again.
bad food and sweat smelling servant.
There are lots of other good restaurants on the beach so no need to waste money on this place.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Didn't stay here as we had a room elsewhere in Una, but this was one of our favourite places to eat during our trip - although the service could be a bit hit and miss at times. We were a bit curried-out after a few days so it was nice to have something different - generous portions of fillet steak with pepper sauce for about £4. They do an admirable gin and tonic too.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2012

6 of us stayed here for 9 nights last month and really enjoyed it, The FM is in a great spot right on the beach, The rooms are basic but fine for the price, although you do have to ask for your room to be cleaned. Breakfast is limited to 3-4 options but again is fine. The staff are very friendly and could not have done more for us during our stay. The Friday night disco is very loud next door until 04:00am but this was no problem for us as we were in it! Would return again.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the bar next door as they are quieter. Check aircon is working once you arrive.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2012

The location was fantastic! We could just walk out our door to the beach. Unawatuna is where you go if you're in need of a western fix. Full Moon had pizza, pasta, salads, all that and it was delicious. We were lucky enough to get a family suite for the two of us so we had a loft for our bed and an extra bed on the "lower level". Great times! The only thing is that at night, there are bars on the beach so there is music going until as late as 7am. Full Moon can't do anything about that, so just be aware that you can hear it! We turned the AC on and fans, so we barely heard anything.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2012

If you want some "western food" during your stay in Sri Lanka, this is the place to be! We had the best carbonara ever. Creamy, tasty, saucy. Of course, we tried the other dishes: all of good quality, fresh and tasty. The Devilled beef is really devilled! Spicy at wish!
It's a perfect spot for a candelit dinner on the beach. Your nearly have the feet in the waves... So refreshing!
Breakfast is also very good. A perfect opportunity to book a sunbed. Because it's rare to find a free one after 10am on Unawatuna beach. And believe me, umbrellas and shade are mostly welcome.
That's to say, the service is often chaoitc and slow. But always friendly.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple