“Best restaurant in Unawatuna by a mile”

Thaproban Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 104 Restaurants in Unawatuna
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Just got back from eating here and I have to say that it was the only restaurant that I have eaten at in Sri Lanka that got the food/service/atmosphere balance just right.

I had the rice and curry which, as has already been mentioned here, came with all the extras that make Sri Lankan curries so unique. Beetroot, crispy potatoes, curried potatoes, vegetable curry, rice and the best, sweetest mango chutney I have had.

The service was attentive and caring, the atmosphere was lively (especially impressive as it was a quiet, rainy night) and when the chef came out to check that I enjoyed it all I was literally in restaurant heaven. In fact, due to all my gushing to the chef about how much I enjoyed it, they even comped my coffee at the end of the meal. What a nice touch.

I really couldn't recommend this place enough. And one extra thing that really helped me enjoy my meal. The cleanliness. Sri Lankan restaurants can often seem a bit grotty and can hinder your enjoyment, but from the restaurant and the staff to the cutlery and the chefs, this place is immaculate. I'm definitely going back tomorrow.

2  Thank CRIPTHEGREEK82

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We followed the Rough guide recommendation by mistake. We chose some really great fresh fish in front of the restaurant and negotiated about a certain price. After all the fish was covered in some kind of ketchup and the salad in mayonnaise sauce...really bad - a fish shouldnt be treated this way! In the end they charged almost double the amount we agreed on! This place is totally overrated!

Reviewed 3 November 2013

If the fish we chose was the fish that we were served then I am king Neptune - not. By far the worst meal that I have eaten in a very very very long time - ughhhhh!!!!!!

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Was there with some friends a couple of months ago and had lunch. The food was very bland and tasteless. I dont know what the big deal is as it was a very disappointing experience. Superb location where you sit outside adn look at the bay and the prices were very reasonable but the food was nothing to write home about.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Ate dinner here on first night in Unawatuna. It was a Saturday night and this was the busiest place on the beach that night with almost all the tables full. Enjoyed excellent service and tasty locally caught fish.