All reviews top floor great hotel rooms are large enjoyed our stay unawatuna beach tuk tuk
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I really enjoyed the location, most of the staff, and the rooms are very well furnished with quality wood. The prices seem to differ on where you get your info from?? I would stay there again if they would be kind enough to give out the password for you the wifi, they charge a good price for the room and yet hold back on something that doesn't really cost them any more to give out..

Room Tip: Check to see if you will be able to handle the smell of diesel that is coming from the back yard.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2011

I can see that the prices fluctuate, but since I went in the low season in June my friend and I paid just 2500LKR (about $24) for a non-AC room with fan. Yes, this place is not right on the beach but it is a very short walk to the beach from here. Also, the views from the balcony are fantastic and most importantly, the room was clean and the bathroom was spotless. There was a little TV (we never turned it on) and a mini-fridge to keep our bevvies cool. Wouldn't hesitate to book this place again!

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to ask to see a room before you decide to book - if it's not high season.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I stayed at Hotel Dhammika for 20 days. The rooms have a great view of the ocean, at the center of the beach. I enjoyed being so close to the ocean and having my breakfast while enjoying the great scenery.

The staff are very friendly and trustworthy. You don't have to worry about getting ripped-off or losing your money at their hotel or anything like that. They are also very polite and very respectful of your privacy.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give this hotel a 7 for cleanliness.

There is no wifi, so be prepared to use mobile Internet while you're in the room (which is super cheap by the way). And the only English channels you can find on tv there are Al Jazeera English, and RT (both news channels). There is also no lounge, so it would be really difficult to interact with other people staying at the hotel. If you don't mind these things, go for it!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Fadi90
Reviewed 12 March 2011

We stayed at Hotel Dhammika for 3 nights during our 3-week stay in Sri Lanka. We were surprised to find nearly every hotel in Unawatuna completely booked when we arrived, but we were able to get an A/C room here for Rs.6000 (£34) per night. It seems Unawatuna is much more expensive than other places in the country, but the room was a good value for the town.
The room was clean, spacious, had a very nice private bath with hot water and good water pressure (very exciting after 2 weeks of no hot water). There was a lovely balcony with a great view of the ocean. There is a TV, but the only English-language station is Al-Jazeera.
As for Unawatuna, I didn't enjoy my time here. It was, by far, the most touristy place I'd been in Sri Lanka and I really enjoyed being in places where we saw few tourists. This place is nothing but tourists, and it seems it's becoming similar to Negombo (package holidays, tourists looking to do nothing but drink). The town is worth seeing for a day or so, but I wouldn't spend an extended amount of time here. It's good for buying clothing (good quality swim trunks and dresses for very cheap). I also took a wonderful cooking class there at a place next to South Ceylon Restaurant (very good food), which is something I highly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BCBG983
Reviewed 17 February 2011

I had booked a 4 night stay at this hotel during Feb 2011, over 4 months in advance. When I arrived at the hotel however, I was told that the couple in my room the previous night had decided to stay an extra night, therefore I would have to go & find somewhere else to stay that night !!.

There is no point whatsoever in accepting bookings for rooms in advance if you have no intention of actually honouring them.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo