“Nice place to enjoy a beach holiday”
Review of Hotel Dhammika

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Unawatuna
Hotel Dhammika
Ranked #20 of 156 Unawatuna B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

The location of the hotel is very nice. You can hear the waves even when the windows are shut - which I find very relaxing. Sometimes a bit noisy from the street. Wifi didn't work during our stay and the shower was just mediocre i.e. water stream was often too weak.
I guess I would stay there again in case I'll return to Unawatuna. But MUST fix the wifi.

• Stayed: April 2014

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed in one of the top rooms where the view from the nearly mind-blowing. The staff was very friendly and helps to make you feel welcome. The breakfast on the balcony was a real treat!
To go to the beach you only have to cross the narrow road in front of the hotel, restaurants and bars are close by, but not so close that the sound bothers you.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2013

What an amazing place to stay!

We stayed for 5 nights and we got it for a real bargain. The room was spacious, clean and charming. We had a stunning view of the beach, the hotel is literally 10m from the beachfront across the little street.

The staff were very friendly and welcoming. They made us feel at home and couldn't do enough for us. They booked us a tuk tuk to go into Galle (350 rupees) and the taxi to the airport (8500).

On our last day we checked out and then left our things with the staff while we enjoyed the last few hours of sunshine on the beach before heading to the airport. They also have a handy washroom where you can shower once you have checked out.

I would definitely stay here again, it was a charming guesthouse in the middle of paradise!

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have an amazing view of the beach.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SuziF38
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Hotel Dhammika really is a lovely guesthouse. It's family run, the rooms are really great with good balconies and solid wood furniture and it's in a really prime location, right on the beach - each room has a sea view. The breakfast in the morning (served on your balcony) is good value and delicious. We loved our stay there. But, there is one big issue. You HAVE to pay cash to stay there. Our bill was something like $500 and we seriously struggled (bar making a 20 minute trip to Galle) to find anywhere that could give us that amount of money in cash, to pay the bill. Our last day was spent frantically trying to get a credit card advance to settle the bill and it was a total pain in the butt. There is no ATM in Unawatuna and considering the prices and the amount of tourism, it is INSANE. Other hotels take cards, Dhammika doesn't but at the room prices they charge, they should. It forces people to carry loads of money and also $500 in rupees was more notes than I've ever seen. It wouldn't fit in my pockets! I almost needed a new bag to carry it in.

Sri Lanka in general was more expensive than we thought, way more expensive than India and I was slightly disappointed overall. The food gets repetitive - although the seafood is incredible - and it feels really geared up to taking tourists money. Don't expect to go there and be a backpacker...

And a tip - don't bother visiting Kolgalla lake. It's the BIGGEST rip off ever. Every island expects a donation and the entry price is so high.

But, hotel Dhammika is a gem. I recommend it. Just make sure that you take enough cash!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Natkinson7
Reviewed 25 December 2012

What a great hotel/guesthouse/ beach 20metres away/ beautiful balcony to watch the day go by/large spacious room/good sized bathroom/fan and aircon rooms/ fridge and tv/the rooms are cleaned daily/staff here are GREAT we will be back again best guesthouse we have stayed in Sri Lanka.

Room Tip: one of the top floor rooms
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 29OAK
Reviewed 28 November 2012

A lovely stay here for 5000rupees - large room with a fan, tv and hot shower and breakfast on the balcony was just beautiful. The hotel is a little set bak from the beach but just a few metres over the wall you can get to it. There are some rocks between the beach in front of the hotel and the main part of the beach - but it's an easy wade through the water to get there or you can walk through the town. It gets a bit noisy on this beach so I'd shut the widows when you're off to bed.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Silkesd
Reviewed 24 November 2012

I stayed here in November 2012. The room I had was on the top floor and had a kingsize bed, ceiling fan (AC rooms available for an extra 600rps) and great balcony with a view out to the sea. Definitely request a top floor room if you go! The staff were friendly and helpful and I paid 4000LKR (plus service charge). I had a nice breakfast on the balcony in the morning, which was 400LKR and they catered to my vegan diet. The room itself was clean and had lots of storage. I only stayed one night but wouldn't hesitate to visit again and I strongly recommend it to anyone staying in Unawatuna.

Room Tip: Top floor - the ceiling fans are powerful so for me, an AC room wasn't necessary.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo