All reviews top floor great hotel spacious balconies mosquito net place to stay unawatuna bay sea view good size recommend this hotel stayed for nights enjoyed our stay every morning tuk tuk the owner balcony wifi beach
Reviewed 20 November 2010

Excellent hotel, friendly staff, well staffed. Always eager to help you, clean, respectful and a pleasure of a place to stay in.

Date of stay: November 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Amartin2583
Reviewed 16 November 2010

I stayed 5 nights at the end of October 2010 for a chill out break after business in Colombo. This is an excellent B & B hotel with an excellent room, 4 poster bed, and bathroom. I paid for AC but did not need it, I was on the top floor, the best, and it picked up a breeze. There is no restaurant, plenty 2 mins walk away, or pool but probably the best beach in SL! The staff there were excellent and a great help. They arranged transport to the airport at 7,000SLR. I took the breakfast on the balcony every morning and was rewarded, on two mornings, with my first sighting of a turtle in the wild. Everyone seems to know about it once you ask but nobody tells you as the sightings seem to be regular! No Wifi when I was there. I paid 3,200 including AC and breakfast and I would do it again.

Date of stay: October 2010
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 25 May 2010

At first glance I was unimpressed buy the Hotel Dhammika. Unlike many places in Unawatuna, the hotel has no restaurant or bar to get your attention and there is no lobby to speak of. Upstairs however, I found a spacious, sunny and spotlessly clean room with beautiful views over the beach, and I chose to stay here for several days in late April. A lovely breakfast was available for a small charge and was served each morning on the balcony overlooking the bay. Since the hotel is located just across the road from the beach, it appears that all the rooms have at least a partial view of the sea. The staff were very courteous and accommodating, arranging transport, laundry service, etc, on request. Wi-fi was available for free.

I have stayed in other hotels in the same price category in Unawatuna, and the Hotel Dhammika offers accommodation of a superior quality for a a very reasonable price. There are fewer than 10 rooms there, so it was also an especially tranquil place to stay, at least at the beginning of the low season.

Date of stay: April 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 26 March 2010

this is an ideal place in unawatuna. Very small resort anyway, but this hotel is well placed in the middle with sea views. Very safe feel, and spacious rooms. Managed to get good price of 2700 rupees with AC / tv etc, (£15) per night. didnt have breakfast, but close to beach bars to get this. Good place to eat next door called Organic.

Date of stay: March 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2010

Hotel Dhammika is a great choice for anyone wanting sea-facing accommodation with hotel standard rooms but at guesthouse prices!

It is situated right in the middle of Unawatuna Bay, just a few feet from the beach. We walked in and were quoted Rs3500 for a superb second floor room with comfortable four-poster bed and integral mosquito net, fan, and a totally private balcony with table and chairs where our breakfasts were brought to us each morning. The shower room was excellent and had piping hot water at all times. We also had a satellite TV and fridge, although didn't use them. I believe some rooms also have air-conditioning, although even in the heat of our visit, the fan was adequate in this large, airy room. There are only about 6 rooms over 2 floors, all with sea views, so the place was always quiet.

Breakfast was an optional Rs350 extra and was ordered the night before, from a check-list of preferences and at a time to suit you, and was then brought to your room and served on that lovely sea-facing balcony. Although you could eat breakfast just about anywhere within a few steps (as you were virtually on the beach with all its little cafes everywhere) this was still our preferred option as nowhere had quite the expansive view of Unawatuna Beach that we had. We then ate out for dinner.

The service was friendly and homely and the hotel was constantly watched, so was a safe place to stay and to leave your possessions. We could not fault it.

Date of stay: February 2010