“Great hotel. Clean and spacious, with beautiful views.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Dhammika

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Unawatuna
Hotel Dhammika
Ranked #33 of 144 Unawatuna B&B and Inns
Edinburgh Scotland
“Great hotel. Clean and spacious, with beautiful views.”
Reviewed 12 March 2011

We stayed at Hotel Dhammika for 3 nights during our 3-week stay in Sri Lanka. We were surprised to find nearly every hotel in Unawatuna completely booked when we arrived, but we were able to get an A/C room here for Rs.6000 (£34) per night. It seems Unawatuna is much more expensive than other places in the country, but the room was a good value for the town.
The room was clean, spacious, had a very nice private bath with hot water and good water pressure (very exciting after 2 weeks of no hot water). There was a lovely balcony with a great view of the ocean. There is a TV, but the only English-language station is Al-Jazeera.
As for Unawatuna, I didn't enjoy my time here. It was, by far, the most touristy place I'd been in Sri Lanka and I really enjoyed being in places where we saw few tourists. This place is nothing but tourists, and it seems it's becoming similar to Negombo (package holidays, tourists looking to do nothing but drink). The town is worth seeing for a day or so, but I wouldn't spend an extended amount of time here. It's good for buying clothing (good quality swim trunks and dresses for very cheap). I also took a wonderful cooking class there at a place next to South Ceylon Restaurant (very good food), which is something I highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BCBG983

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed 17 February 2011

I had booked a 4 night stay at this hotel during Feb 2011, over 4 months in advance. When I arrived at the hotel however, I was told that the couple in my room the previous night had decided to stay an extra night, therefore I would have to go & find somewhere else to stay that night !!.

There is no point whatsoever in accepting bookings for rooms in advance if you have no intention of actually honouring them.

Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank jaynewcastle11
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2011

This is my first Trip Advisor review; having just come back from a fortnight in Sri Lanka, where we relied on the hotel recommendations here, I thought I'd add my tuppence worth. My boyfriend and I stayed at Dhammika for four nights, and it's a perfectly good place to stay in itself - slap bang in the middle of the village (although not on the beach itself), the rooms are large and clean and each has a balcony with lovely sea views. It's quite plain and low key - because it has no restaurant it doesn't have much of an atmosphere as such - but it's perfectly serviceable and relaxed, and the staff are friendly. We paid 7000 rupees a night with a/c, which seems a lot more than other people on here, but I guess prices fluctuate with demand. The problem with our stay concerns Unawatuna itself rather than the hotel, but I wish I'd known about it before: for three out of the four nights of our stay, we were kept awake until 5am by music from a bar on the beach. Even though we were about half a kilometre away, the tiny curved bay acts as a great amplifier. I don't know how anyone staying near the beach gets any sleep!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank heathrowexpress
Reviewed 20 November 2010

Excellent hotel, friendly staff, well staffed. Always eager to help you, clean, respectful and a pleasure of a place to stay in.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amartin2583
Stirling
Reviewed 16 November 2010

I stayed 5 nights at the end of October 2010 for a chill out break after business in Colombo. This is an excellent B & B hotel with an excellent room, 4 poster bed, and bathroom. I paid for AC but did not need it, I was on the top floor, the best, and it picked up a breeze. There is no restaurant, plenty 2 mins walk away, or pool but probably the best beach in SL! The staff there were excellent and a great help. They arranged transport to the airport at 7,000SLR. I took the breakfast on the balcony every morning and was rewarded, on two mornings, with my first sighting of a turtle in the wild. Everyone seems to know about it once you ask but nobody tells you as the sightings seem to be regular! No Wifi when I was there. I paid 3,200 including AC and breakfast and I would do it again.

Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 May 2010

At first glance I was unimpressed buy the Hotel Dhammika. Unlike many places in Unawatuna, the hotel has no restaurant or bar to get your attention and there is no lobby to speak of. Upstairs however, I found a spacious, sunny and spotlessly clean room with beautiful views over the beach, and I chose to stay here for several days in late April. A lovely breakfast was available for a small charge and was served each morning on the balcony overlooking the bay. Since the hotel is located just across the road from the beach, it appears that all the rooms have at least a partial view of the sea. The staff were very courteous and accommodating, arranging transport, laundry service, etc, on request. Wi-fi was available for free.

I have stayed in other hotels in the same price category in Unawatuna, and the Hotel Dhammika offers accommodation of a superior quality for a a very reasonable price. There are fewer than 10 rooms there, so it was also an especially tranquil place to stay, at least at the beginning of the low season.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2010

this is an ideal place in unawatuna. Very small resort anyway, but this hotel is well placed in the middle with sea views. Very safe feel, and spacious rooms. Managed to get good price of 2700 rupees with AC / tv etc, (£15) per night. didnt have breakfast, but close to beach bars to get this. Good place to eat next door called Organic.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple