“Clumps of hair pulled out” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Sanctuary Spa

The Sanctuary Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: A massage spa offering relaxing treatments e.g. Swedish massage, Ayurvedic massage, Face massage, Shirodara treatment, Herbal steam bath etc set in a tranquil lush tropical garden down a small lane off the beach road. Booking is essential - Please book with Ranga +94 (0) 77 307 8583 to avoid disappointment.
London
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Clumps of hair pulled out”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

By far THE WORST massage I have ever had. Dirty with sweaty smelly, stained towels. My masseur had rough hands like a lumberjack and scratched me several times. The desire to massage my buttocks and expose them ( the rooms are overlooked by reception/waiting area) was extremely uncomfortable. The stomach "massage" so painful (I should note here I have a high pain threshold and reguarly receive thai massages) that I cried out in pain and asked him to stop for fear of finding my kidneys popping out of my armpits. But by far the worse part was having my hair roughed and pulled to the extent that clumps of hair fell out and days later I still have a headache. The hair on top of my head is visibly thinner and I can only hope it grows back! Avoid this place at all costs. Oh and there were no candles or flower petals either.

4 Thank Londonbornandraised

• Greek first
Moscow, Russia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Relaxing place in beauty jungle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

The second year - and i hope it will be every year)) - i visit this paradise spa salon! Be sure its absolutely beautiful and perfectly spa salon as well place for your "time well spent for yourself" )). It has very friendly professional therapists, perfectly atmoshere and massage! Thank you very much for your friendliness and paradise place Sri Lanka! My master was Nadoo and i had deep strong and very good massage! So my strong recommendation - if you have vacation in Unawatuna be sure - you need to visit this Spa!

Visited March 2014
3 Thank Glukhova
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Excellent ayurvedic massage in a beautiful and relaxing jungle setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Visited the Sanctuary spa three times for a 1 hour ayurvedic massage. The massage rooms are surrounded by very beautiful jungle.

While it was probably the most expensive massage in Unawatuna (LKR3500 for 1 hour), I returned because of the lovely surroundings and beautifully designed and rustic massage rooms. I knew I was getting a quality massage here in a setting that would relax me.

At the end of the massage you also receive a fresh young coconut which is a lovely touch.

I always left feeling very rejuvenated and blissed out.

Visited January 2014
3 Thank mermaid00mermaid
Worcester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing massages in tranquil setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in Unawatuna for 10 days and visited The Sanctuary Spa on 2 occasions for fabulous massages.

The staff, as with all locals we met, are very friendly. The gentleman on reception had good English and was very professional.

The Spa was tranquil and welcoming and our full body massages were superb. The staff started by checking we were happy with the pressure they applied and asked if we wanted our head massaged using oil. I have read another review on here and I have to completely disagree with the comment that the oil doesn't come out. I have long blonde hair and had no issue with washing the oil out.

My massages on both occasions were so relaxing I think I fell asleep!

After the massages were finished we sat downstairs with the staff and were handed fresh coconuts with a straw in to drink.

We can't fault the staff, service, massage or setting. We hope to return to Unawatuna and will definitely visit again.

Visited September 2013
3 Thank TomChantelleEvans
Estepona, Spain
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Very nice place !!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

We're a couple of french and we was in Unawatuna just for 4 days and the first thing we wanted to find was a good spa for massage.... and we find. The sanctuary spa is very clean and people are nice. We try 3 kind of full body massage and we enjoyed a lot !!!

Visited February 2014