“The best food was served here”
Review of Samson Restaurant

Samson Restaurant
Ranked #55 of 103 Restaurants in Unawatuna
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We spent three days on Unawatuna beach and we tried two of other restaurants over Samson's. In spite of the simple dining area, the dishes that we had in Samson's were the best we had eaten before in Sri Lanka. We had a meal here five times and were never disappointed. Their devilled chicken and fish is outstanding. The waiter offered us their fresh coral fish (showed on a tray) and we had a wonderful lunch that day. Their king prawns were delicious, too. The prices are very reasonable as we never paid more than SLR 2100.- for two people including drinks and soup sometimes. We loved their hot and sour soup. Nice and cheap restaurant with excellent dishes for budget travellers!

1  Thank erikapelles

Reviewed 25 February 2013

I've eaten here 3 times, two times it was very good, the third time I had devilled fish (SLR 600,-) and it was excelent, one of the best food I had on Sri Lanka. + they don't add 10% to the bill! very nice, quite simple restaurant on the edge of the beach.

1  Thank radokaz
Reviewed 7 February 2013

We've eaten here often over the years (see below for a bit of history). Like all Unawatuna eateries it has its ups and downs, often on the same night, but as long as Samson himself is cooking, the food is reliable.

For our latest meal, for example, we had one of the best and tastiest prawn fried noodles we've ever had here. It's a staple on the beach, but often comes out dull and lacking in oomph: here it was lightly spiced, well cooked and had a decent quantity of prawn and shredded vegetables. We also had battered prawns with chips: prawns were large and accurately cooked, but batter was slightly doughy - it often is in SL, so don't expect British fish 'n chip shop crispy batter!

Prices are a bit above average, but not silly - unless you are really strapped, don't let them put you off. Because we're pretty regular they know us, so our service experience may not match others. By the way, they're not pushy about jumbo prawns or full fish, as so many are. And they don't hang about in presenting the bill, but truth be told unless the place is heaving with customers (which is rare in Unawatuna) they are happy for you to stay as long as you want.

A bit of history: the original incarnation of this place was "Samson's Chai House", a noted hippy haunt in the mists of pre-history. It was *very* basic, and probably made more from the exotic smells of the customers' smoking habits than it ever did from chai (tea) or snacks. Eventually it grew up a bit, and actually became a very good beach restaurant option, but it was swept away, like everything on the beach, in the Boxing Day Tsunami of 2004, and Samson senior (father of the current chef-owner was one of the 200-or-so people who died in the area.

It took some time to recover (I have a photo of a still very shell-shocked looking Samson jr taken a year later, and it looked as though he might just give up the ghost. But he pulled through, thankfully, and his cooking is back to his best.

1  Thank broughhouse
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I've been in many restaurants in Unawatuna, and I think this is the worst. I arrived with my wife at 7:00 pm in this empty restaurant and the guy working there didn't welcome us and seemed to be in bad mood. After a moment a woman came in the restaurant to book a table in one hour, the guy came to our table to took the order. When he came back to serve the drinks, he asked us to leave the table before 8:00. I was shocked, people in Sri Lanka are very kind and I got used to it, but this guy wasted my romantic dinner on the beach, I left the restaurant without eating.

1  Thank VoyageurdeFrance92
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Simple little place right on the beach. Cold beer and good seafood. Relaxed atmosphere. Literally walk into the water from here.

1  Thank new_test_leper_13