“Brilliant chill out week” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Kingfisher Hotel
Ranked #14 of 140 Unawatuna B&B and Inns
Salisbury, England
“Brilliant chill out week”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed here for 7 nights and literally didn't move from the hotel and beach which is a first for us because we usually like to try different restaurants every night. The rooms were spacious, spotless and very comfortable, we liked the subdued lighting and did manage to read using it. The balcony was spacious and had spectacular views x 3 ways, 1. we could see the temple to the right with the giant Buddha and enjoyed listening to the chanting a couple of times a day. 2. To the left was the whole busy bay view where we even had fireworks a few evenings and could see the sunrise. 3. was the coral reef island, and Kingfisher beach / restaurant. Great balcony for sitting quietly reading or having a G & T before dinner. The shower temperature was variable during the day but warm enough. The bed was very comfortable. A/C good, even had tea and coffee making facilities. The sunbeds were very comfy, lots of hawkers but they left us alone and were not at all 'pushy', best bit of a very busy beach, wide part of sand, you could hire a glass bottom boat or diving boat from a few metres away. ALL of the staff were well trained, courteous and friendly. The food was excellent - especially the prawns , one day I had omelette with prawns, lunch avocado and prawns and dinner Green Thai prawn curry because they were sooo good! The staff were concerned that our last evening coincided with a beach party - we had read the reviews and took earplugs! We did not need to use them - the beach party was not at Kingfisher but at the end of the beach, Sam's music at the beach bar meant we did not even hear the party music until we went to our room when it was so subdued That you could hardly hear it at all. The owner along with the rest of the staff made us feel very welcome and we would definitely have no reservations on going back if we need to destress!

Room Tip: Top room at left for brilliant balcony views of whole bay
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Canalletto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Part of my review, I suppose, is biased by the beach - Una is not a gorgeous beach. As other people have commented, a lot of the sand is eaten away or just completely encroached upon by shacks and restuarants and other eyesores. It's still attractive, just not pristine paradise. The Kingfisher is lovely and modern in terms of décor, furnishings, size, etc. (though too modern in the open door bathroom). We booked semi-last minute and supposedly got the last room left - I was informed we'd have to switch rooms midway through when I booked, an inconvenience, but fine. The manager, when it was time to switch, brusquely approached us, told us when we had to be out, told us when we could move into the new room (there were several hours we were without a room) and didn't even attempt politeness or apologies for the hassle. When our flight was delayed and we missed a connection, I tried to call the hotel but, even though it was before midnight, no one answered. I'd agree that the rooms and maintenance are lovely but I found the service less customer-friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SeaSpirit265
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

I discovered Kingfisher restaurant on Unawatuna Beach when some expat friends took me there for dinner, boasting (as locals often do) that it served “the best food on the bay”. They were not wrong. The freshly caught line fish was cooked to perfection and fell off the bone, local dishes were authentic and not overly spiced, there was a perfectly acceptable South African Sauvignon Blanc on the wine list, and I dined with my feet in the sand. It was very much a barefoot zone. When I discovered that Kingfisher had bedrooms I decided right then that I would stay there on my next visit to Sri Lanka.

Being a guest at Kingfisher was like staying at a friend’s house.. familiar, comfortable and stress free. I left my things lying around and nothing was too much trouble for the busy bunch of smiling Sri Lankan boys, in their crisp white polo shirts who attended to my every whim at lightning speed. Kingfisher has four bedrooms, every one of which has direct sea views, and the Indian Ocean is 50 metres from your large, private balcony. All the usual mod cons are provided including an oversized walk-in shower and large flat screen TV for those who can’t go without their morning dose of Al Jazeera. But why sleep with the air con on when you can leave your balcony doors ajar and drift off to the soothing sound of the waves. I slept like a baby at Kingfisher, couldn’t get enough of the Ginger Spice tea in my room, didn’t feel the need to touch caffeine once during my stay, and on the mornings when I woke-up early enough to see the sun rise it was like creeping downstairs in a sleeping country house trying not to wake the dogs or rouse the children. And walking around Kingfisher in bare feet day and night truly made me feel like I was on vacation.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

A four room guest house that has a fantastic restaurant and beach bar.
It is situated at the west end of the bay which has the most sand to relax on.
The rooms are new, solid and equipped with a TV, fridge, fan, air con, power shower and large sea facing balcony.
Possibly the best place to stay in Unawatuna.
Highly recommended!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RedRobert
Seignosse, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

Lovely clean room. Very spacious. Although quite noisy at night. We also ate at the restaurant which was great, you have to book though. Very helpful & friendly staff. Would recommend the butterfish. The only downside to this place is all the beach hawkers which are constant. Not the best beach we've been too in Sri Lanka & the hassle gets annoying after a day, surprised the hotel & restaurant let them bother you whilst eating.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

We'd heard a mixed bag of reviews regarding Kingfisher about slow staff etc., but I have to say, that wasn't our experience at all!

As soon as we arrived we were made to feel welcome, despite there being not many seats available. The hotel itself - the lobby anyway - is really pretty and opens right out on to the beach. On the beach itself, were numerous chairs, tables - all of which were already occupied, obviously a popular place! Further down the beach were little plastic chairs and tables perfect for having a pre-dinner drink, which we did. It was the usual margaritas for the family and a girly cocktail for me. I had a Sea Breeze, but changed vodka to rum, something the barman was only too happy to accommodate! The drinks arrived in good time and we whiled away 45 minutes waiting for our starters to arrive, as we had already had the chance to order our food at the same time as our drinks.

My starter was chicken satay with peanut butter sauce. It was absolutely beautiful! The sauce was the perfect mix of peanut & butter and no lumps or chunks anywhere. My family had various soups, all of which received a huge thumbs up.
Our mains arrived not too soon after our starter plates had been whisked away: Australian beef tenderloin for me my partner and Thai green curry, a Greek salad and chicken with mushrooms and rice for the rest of my party. Well! The beef was honestly one of the best steaks I have ever had to pleasure of eating and it wasn't long before I'd devoured the whole entire thing! It came with chips and a small salad - spot on accompaniments!
As a side note, the family's food came back with another big thumbs up. Happy customers all round!

Highly recommend!

NB. We were not guests at this hotel, only visiting for dinner, hence no review on rooms etc.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

Definitely a lovely hotel, with very friendly staff, room almost perfect, it would be if there was sufficient lighting, the light is so low it is impossible to read in bed without a torch.

However with the high price they charge a few things need to be improved:

- We were left without electricity a few times and for 2 hours on New Year's Eve! It is not acceptable that a boutique hotel and restaurant does not have a generator. The closest competitor Thapraban does have one!

- On new Year's date the restaurant and bar were closed and the whole place felt like a desert! We had to get a drink next door, really not a good experience for residents, even the front door was closed and no lighting in the common areas in the evening, still we were not warned in advance and did not receive any discounts.

- The reception area is hardly manned and there is never anybody around with some experience able to help. On departure morning it took us more than 40 minutes to get our bill and many telephone calls with the owner to agree final price and exchange rate.

- In summary the whole place seems to revolve only around the restaurant forgetting they have residents guests they need looking after.

Room Tip: Rooms are lovely, although when there are party in the beach it is impossible to sleep.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends