“Great New Guesthouse a minute from the beach!”
Review of No Name Rest

No Name Rest
Ranked #12 of 147 Unawatuna B&B and Inns
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Great New Guesthouse a minute from the beach!”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I stayed at the No Name and loved it, and wish I could have stayed longer!
It is newly built, in fact this is their first season.
Everything is new, clean and in working order.
The rooms are great with new beds, fridge, flat screen TV with lots of western Chanel's, shower room, separate big bathroom, air con, balcony.
The location is at the end of the road is nice and much quieter than in the middle of the village.
The Australian and Sri Lankan couple who own it are so friendly, helpful and eager to please.
I shall be back!

Room Tip: All the rooms face the front and have a balcony. There is no pool but it is just across the road fro...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

Located across the road from the popular Kingfisher restaurant this hotel was not the cheapest but great room, quiet at night with good amenities including a great 4 poster bed with good mosquito net and separate shower and toilet. Air con worked well and balcony provided great drying place for bathers after a day on the beach which was straight across the road. Breakfast each morning included the biggest fruit salad I've ever seen. Room was not serviced in the 4 days we stayed but staff were only too happy to provide clean towels etc upon request

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Tavistock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

This is a great hotel with clean stylish rooms and brilliant staff. If you dont want the back packer lifestyle and can afford a little more this is a great place. Air conditioning, great bed rooms and a stones throw from the beach.

• Stayed October 2013
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I originally had a reservation at another hotel in town, but something about it just didn't feel right, so I stumbled up the No Name Rest unexpectedly. And, am I ever glad I did!

The location is fantastic. Right on the main strip and beach but on a slightly quieter end. And, right across from the fantastic Kingfisher Restaurant. The rate was also very good, especially since I was there during a slower period.

First of all, the room assigned to me was absolutely wonderful!! Beautifully decorated and comfortable, and with air con and a fantastic balcony. Honestly, I did not expect such a nice room. It was also extremely clean, and it was lovely, peaceful and relaxing. Especially sitting out on the balcony at night.

The breakfast was also really good. Typically Sri Lankan hotel style: two eggs cooked to order, loads of toast, tea or coffee, and a wonderful plate of fresh fruit.

There is also a lovely employee who works there named Hashan. Such a kind and sweet young man, and very helpful and accommodating. I cannot say enough good things about him.

The only hiccup was that their Wifi did not work while I was there, and there was no major hurry to rectify the problem (internet provider was contacted but did not show up, so I was advised). This normally would have really annoyed me. However, Hashan saved the day by providing me with access to another network.

Overall, very happy with this place and highly recommend it to anyone visiting Unawatuna!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We stumbled across this hotel by chance. They had a room available for $USD 80 for one night which is very expensive in Sri Lanka! The rooms were amazing! Clean, large, the bed was AMAZING and the bathroom was very clean with a good shower. The room is great - If you don't interact with the staff.

We were traveling in a group of 6, 4 of whom were staying at No Name. We decided to make No Name the meeting point. Two friends came to pick us up for dinner and the staff REFUSED to let them in saying "only two people per room". We tried to reason with them and say they are just coming to pick us up and wait till we got ready, but in return I got yelled at by BOTH staff members. I'm not saying this as a princess but I mean seriously got YELLED at, and then they walked off on me calling me bad names!

So all in all.. good rooms - HORRIBLE people.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank hdpandya
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We stumbled across No Name by accident and it's with doubt the best place we stayed. The rooms are bright, spacious and beautifully laid out. There is a balcony you can chill out on and watch the world go by. The staff are delightful and can't do enough for you. Breakfast is included and the Sri Lanka breakfast is great and will set you up for the day. It is a little more than you would normally pay.. $70 but is worth every penny. It's a quiet location yet a minute from the beach and next to some of the better restaurants like One Love and Hot Rocks. I can't recommend this place enough.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good and face the front. I think some don't have ac but all have fans.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane1204
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 18 January 2012

The rooms are very nice, big and clean (when you arrive), however the service is NOT good, and that's why I won't recomment it.
We payed 70 usd (which is way too high). No aircon, no cleaning and terrible service. The last day we checked out early in the morning, because we were going on a boattrip, so we had to keep our luggage at the guest house, however the manager told us to take all our valuables with us because turist steals (no one is looking after your room key when you go out either, it is just lying on the front desk, so remember to take it with you)! He also wanted us to pay the day before we were checking out because he needed the money? what is up with that!

The breakfast was okay.

The good thing about this place is the very nice and big rooms and the location.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family