“holiday in sri Lanka”

Shanthi Beach Resort
Reviewed 15 November 2013

First of all we must thank to the staff that they give us a good holiday during our 3 days staying in this beautiful shanthi beach resort thank you every one of the staff.We must say this is the one of the beat place I visited in sri lanka during my holiday in sri lanka.I can Highly recommended this resort to any guest that this is the one of the best hotel to stay around the Unawatuna. Meals also very good and testy.

Room Tip: cabana is the best to stay
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank xu t

Reviewed 27 October 2013

we had very good time we enjoyed.the view of the beach,services and colleagues were very friendly. We really enjoyed the stay and we would definitely recommend the resort to other friends.
the food is the best and very deli shes food that we had every day for the evening meals.Most of the places we stay during our stay and we had food each place and every place they give very little food but in this hotel they served big plate for good and it was very testy and fresh.The hotel location is great and in the room they had a very good me tress for sleep.so all and all its very good place.

Room Tip: Very nice view of the beach and a very cool breeze.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank joha w
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Nice family hotel. Very friendly family and staff. Close to the beach, nice roundtrip of Sri Lanka organised by Mohan.....in short: i loved it.
Not for people who want a 5 star hotel, but i'm not that sort of a man.
We enjoyed our stay very much, and in a world that's becoming more and more an egoistic place, it was a pleasure being amongst people who care for their customers.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marcsim0705
Reviewed 3 September 2013

the room was clean, comfortable and large. the balcony looks onto the beach - beautiful. having breakfast and dinner just meters from the sea was lovely.
gorgeous, paradise beach on the doorstep.
gorgeous, paradise beach on the doorstep.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank lolly p
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Great location right by the sea. The sea adjacent to the hotel was quite rough but it was just a short walk along the beach an area suitable for swimming. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the food was delicious.
This is a convenient place to visit Galle which can be reached easily by tuk-tuk.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jane D
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This is a wonderful place to kick back and relax. The owner and staff are truly amazing and were willing to help and give advice whenever they could. The guest house itself is situated on a beautiful part of the south coast within walking distance from Unawatuna and there is the opportunity to watch the stilt fishermen. Great value for money. Visit if you get the chance. We certainly will!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Justin B
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The place is not in Unawatuna proper, as some booking systems may show. It is Dalawella, which is several kilometers away. There is a road along running along the beach (one lane in each direction), it is a rather busy thoroughfare, anyway it was not heard too much from the place I lived in.

I stayed in the guesthouse on January 9-12. I was shown a room on the upper floor of the main building, which I did not like (a balcony, but no ocean view, since it was blocked by some architectural structural stuff; some stuffy smell in the room); and a bungalow with an A/C, in which I finally settled.

Unfortunately this time I did not make photos of the room, but there is nothing really interesting to photo. The room is very basic and there is nothing much to tell. Everything is clean and functioning, I think the room had undergone some recent renovation, so there were no stains or smells anywhere. The bathroom is really spacious, only heated shower there (operational and with good pressure). Nothing else to say. The A/C functioned perfectly. I tried the guesthouse’s free WiFi one night: good connection, no breaks, stable speed.

The only thing I disliked was the smelly pillows. I guess that is a common problem in Una (I had the same thing in some other places in the neighborhood). It’s the same smell when the washed linen dries in a hot weather for too long. I think if the owners of the place pay some extra attention to that, it would be really good for the place.

The guesthouse offers HB with both breakfast and dinner chosen from several options. Also basic, but the HB idea is really good, as there are not too many places to eat in the neighbourhood (to get an evening meal you’d rather go to Unawatuna, which is some 20-30 minutes drive by tuk-tuk).

When I stayed in the guesthouse there was some security guard patrolling the territory at dark hours with a flashlight (each night that I stayed there, starting at about 11 and onward). Once I went out of my bungalow to watch the tide at about 3 a.m., the security man came over to me to ask if I needed anything. That’s also a good Idea, since there is a bare place to the right of the guesthouse (the reminder of the tsunami) with no signs of dwelling. There are other hotels to the left (in the direction opposite Una), the whole beach is rather built-up.

What is really – REALLY splendid in the place – is the ocean. There are several silts right in front of the guesthouse (no fishermen during my stay). The beach is really fantastic – a paradise for photo-maniacs. You’ll see the sunset unfolding right in front of you, as you are having your dinner in an abrour facing the ocean. The ocean will keep you up at night (I had a 3d or 4th bungalow from the waterfront, and it really WAS the sound that you could hear at night. And… don’t miss the opportunity: for those, who do not object waking at about 4.30 a.m, there are magic sunrises in store – also from the ocean line, as the sunsets.

Warning: the OCEAN! I think those of you, who travel to Lanka for the first time, have already read that it is strong. Well, it really IS strong. The most serious problem with the coastline in this locality is finding a good place to swim with bearable waves that will not crush your neck (no storm – just ordinary good weather and “calm” ocean).

Luckily, there is a good natural pool fenced with rock – just some meters away from the hotel (they will show you, ask them). The waves break some 5 meters before the pool, so everybody including kids is rather safe to swim there (also rather shallow).

I tried a swimming spot right behind the sail-rock, where some surfers train. There is a safeguard at day hours (I don’t know, whether he can be of any help, if needed, but anyway). The waves there are tricky: drag you 1 meter towards the beach and 2 meters towards the Maldives. If you dare trying the spot, try not losing ground beneath feet. And see exactly what you are doing (my floating nearly ended in Male). I don’t think it’s a rip current – it’s just the guileful waves.

One more spot probable spot for trying to swim may be found in the direction towards Unawatuna. The waves are stronger, but more predictable. But: there is no one there. And see if the spot has a sandy bottom (anyway there may be some unexpected hidden rocks there, so beware). There may be some other places, but I did not try them out.

So my summary: -1 for the pillows, otherwise I’d give it full five dots.

Room Tip: Bungalows: closer to the ocean, farther from the road. The roaring waves will wake you up at night...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo