“Excellent dive center.”

Unawatuna Diving Centre
Ranked #5 of 17 Tours in Unawatuna
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Scuba Diving in Sri Lanka is our passion! Thats why we opened our first Diving Centre 1999 at the beautiful Unawatuna Bay at the south coast of Sri Lanka. This is the official page of UNAWATUNA DIVING CENTRE, PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Resort, “The Original since 1999” and Sri Lanka's premier PADI Dive Resort, S-36133, and your gateway to the excitement and adventure of the underwater world! The Dive Centre is open every year from 15. October to 10. April from 8 am to 7 pm. The rest of the year, the month of the south west monsoon, with rough sea and bad visibility, we are operating at our NILAVELI DIVING CENTRE, PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Resort at the North East Coast of Sri Lanka, 12 km north of Trincomalee under good diving conditions. The UNAWATUNA DIVING CENTRE is a fully authorized PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Resort. It offers Scuba Diving for beginners, Fun Dives, all kind of PADI Courses and Snorkelling Trips. The Dive Shop is managed by an local and international team of PADI Diveinstructors.
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I took a while to decide which diving center I would go with in Unawatuna but after walking around and realising the only two centres which are actually listed on the PADI website are this one and Pearl divers which is next door, that narrowed the search. The prices are slightly higher at both of these dive centres but there again they are ACTUAL and PROFESSIONAL diving centres. After a little more digging and querying the fact that 'Pearl divers' (next door) used to be Unawatuna Dive Center and opposed to 'Unawatuna Diving Center' I found out that the owner of 'Pearl divers' used to work at Unawatuna Diving Center and tried to stab his close friend in the back by stealing all the gear etc and opened up a store next door. I'm sure the diving/guides are great there but I don't agree with that. I don't normally take to trip advisor to slag off other companies but I don't mind in this case. Obviously it's still up to you who you would rather go with, prices are pretty much equal and like i said, I'm sure both offer great guides and diving, although, a further point to make, I'm reliably informed that none of the guides at 'Pearl Divers' are even Divemasters. As a Divemaster myself, this isn't be an issue. But I'm sure for a less-experienced diver would feel otherwise.

Anyway - Hans and his crew are very good. I very much enjoyed my diving with them. I can't speak for the quality of the courses but I didn't see any reason to be alarmed. I did 8 dives overall. The 'reefs' are not anything to rave about but theres still some good life to see and the visibility was around 5-10 meters. The better dives were the wreck dives of which I think ' SS Rangoon' offers the best dive. Its at roughly 30m and you can spend about 30 minutes down on it. It will always remain in my head as I had about 20 minutes with a whale shark on the way back up! Unforgettable.

Overall - This center is very well run. Very professional, good gear, pleasant staff and of course know the best places to find sea life and in my opinion, the only center to dive with in Unawatuna!

Thank you very much Hans. Hope to see you again, but this time over in Nilaveli!

8  Thank AdamCW92
in 6 reviews
"these guys"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I've dived in many places around the world and these guys have a great set up, highly professional, organised, good kit and really know what they're doing. The diving was good and it's always good to know you're in capable hands. There are a few companies along the stretch who have no qualified dive masters or instructors so I would highly advise these guys as the only ones to consider.

4  Thank Ruthy_HM
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

We took the PADI Open water here. Hans and his crew is very professional and we felt safe the whole time. The atmosphere is relaxed and we can only send our best recommendations.

3  Thank Tsntai
Reviewed 19 February 2014

The best diving center in sud cost of srilanka.First dive center in Unawatuna, Good organization, good material, good people and beautiful dive in shipwreck with fish and in coral stones.

2  Thank jannella75
See more reviews
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I am just back from my second diving trip to Sri Lanka with Hans and the team at the Unawatuna Diving Centre. This is my second time with these guys, having also dived with them over on the east coast in Nilavelli. I have to say I would highly recommend them, not just because they are a really good bunch of people but because they are effective and efficient and have a high standard of professionalism and safety in their work. They have good, well maintained equipment and really make an effort to accommodate you whatever your diving standard and preference e.g. reef or wreck diving. There are quite a few diving cowboys in the area but these guys are the real deal. Would definitely recommend them to anyone considering spending some time learning to dive in Sri Lanka or who was interesting in just some pleasure diving for the day.

3  Thank Sarah H