“Horrible dive sites”
Review of Pearl Divers

Pearl Divers
Ranked #5 of 15 Tours in Unawatuna
More attraction details
Owner description: We are Unawatunas friendliest, most professional & fully equipped diving center. We have recently opened our authorized PADI Resort S-23613 and have re branded to Pearl Divers so come and have a look at out new Pearl Divers website. Our team of ex navy and international dive instructors are waiting to greet you with big smiles and lots of great dive sites to visit.
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We booked this dive centre through our driver who must have some arrangement with them. Unlike other dive centre, this dive centre did not arrange to pick us up from the hotel. Our driver send his own guy to drive us there( which is 10 mins from our hotel).
Two of us were charged USD140 (slightly higher than the website advertised rates of 45euros for 2 tank boat dive with full equipment rental) but we didn't bother negotiate.
The dive master though polite and nice picked two horrible sites. Much like one of the reviewer here commented, visibility was bad and we saw nothing more than rocks and a school of small fishes and the occasional larger puffer fish. Very disappointing. Which leads me to advocate that diving should be closed in January or during seasons with such conditions. Yes - try not to dive in January!!!

Ringsroundtheworld, Guest Relations Manager at Pearl Divers, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Good E ,

Many thanks for your review , we would have loved to have heard this on the day as we could have hopefully rectified the issues at hand . With regard to the rates , you should have paid €50.00 for 2 dives . If you book and pay through the internet it is €45.00 for 2 dives . Please can you email your contact details to info@pearldivers.lk so that we can check our records . We will need to know your booking name and date of dive . If you have been overcharged we are happy to issue a refund of the difference . With regard to the dive conditions , we cannot confirm what the visibilty is on any one day and normally mid December to mid April conditions are at their best here in Unawatuna .
Looking forward to your reply .

Reviewed 10 January 2014

After speaking with most diving stores in unawatuna, I decided to do one dive with pearl divers. Their service, safety standards and gear seemed superior. However after going for my dive today, I have to say I am quite disappointed. Firstly they put me in a group with two divers who have never dived before. Secondly the dive sites were terrible. They were about a 5 minute boat ride from the store and the shore of unawatuna beach. We hardly saw anything except rocks. The wreck was hardly a wreck, more a sunken small fishing boat. There were hardly any fish and when there were the instructor just swam the group straight passed them. There was very little communication underwater. If you do go diving with pearl divers, make sure they take you to a site that is good and far from the shore.

1  Thank 15,091,861

Hi ,
Please excuse that I cannot use your name as we don't recognise your trip advisor profile number against our records . We are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your dive with us . As we are dedicated to providing the best diving experience in Unawatuna , can you please send me an email to info@pearldivers.lk as we need to find out who was your dive master and why you seem to have been grouped with first time divers . If you are still in Unawatuna and would like to come on a complimentary dive with us , we would be very happy to arrange this . Visibility is not always good as it depends on weather conditions which we unfortunately do not have any control over . Please get back to us so that we can ensure this does not happen again . If you have already left Sri Lanka and plan to revisit , please do not hesitate to come for your complimentary dive at a later date .
Hope to see you again ,

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I am an avid diver. I got my Open water license in Malaysia's Tioman Islands. I was very keen on a good dive school at Una.

Run by a great guy sumit. I got to dive with 2 fabulous instructors - David & Tomas.

This dive school amongst all the schools in Una in one line - Is All Heart!

I just got certified as an Advanced Diver. It was a little too much fun with these guys.

Just call. Book. Fly In. Dive!

3  Thank Disha O
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

I did a refresher dive and a 25m reef dive here and had a great time.

The staff and dive master were friendly and professional and I felt safe during both dives.

The dives are great value and I saw some really great marine life.

If visiting in December, be aware the current can be strong and the visibility is just ok.

All in all a really good dive operation.

Recommended.

2  Thank Jen_and_Nath
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

I had 4 email exchanges with this shop. Each time, I told them which hotel I was staying in, each time they said they would pick me up at 9am.

The day before the dive, they sent me an email confirming a pickup at 10am. I called Darshana to find out what had changed. He apologized because he me got confused due to other pickups in the same area.

The morning of our dive, we are in the hotel lobby at 8:55 ready to go. And we wait... And wait... And wait...

At 9:20 I called Darshana to find out was going on. He wasn't sure but called back in five minutes giving me some story that the hotel wouldn't let drivers into the premises to pickup guests. This made no sense as we had seen a steady stream of drivers arriving to pick people up.

I don't really know what happened or what went wrong, but if they can't figure out how to pick me up at my hotel, I sure don't trust them to take me underwater.

1  Thank RangoMa55