“All round wonderful stay!”

Dunes Unawatuna Hotel
Ranked #4 of 152 Unawatuna B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 December 2013

My Dad and I visited Dunes hotel as our last stop in our two week tour of Sri Lanka. As soon as we walked into the hotel we were welcomed by the owners (Gayan and Jenny) and staff, and offered a drink (as it was very hot and our bags were extremely heavy!) We had a friendly chat and were told some useful information about the area, then escorted to our room.
The rooms are extremely clean and the interior design beautiful; very in keeping with the hotels rustic theme. The roof is open which lets out the heat, meaning that the fan is more than enough to keep you cool at night. Some people worry about bugs but I can honestly say neither me or my dad used the mosquito nets once!
The hotel is a perfect distance from the beach, about a 2 minute walk and far enough away for a peaceful nights sleep if the bars are playing music loud. It is also about a 3 minute walk from the bus station and there are many small food shops along the road.
We ate breakfast at the hotel every morning which was always enjoyable, and we had dinner there twice. I would highly recommend the traditional Sri Lankan curry from Dunes it was by far my favourite meal of the holiday and the cutlery, utensils, pots etc the food is served in are lovely and rustic (again like the rest of the hotel).
The one thing that made our stay most enjoyable was the friendliness of the owners Gayan and Jenny, they were always around to help and have a conversation, and we're also extremely interested in our view of the hotel, constantly asking us for advice and explaining the thought behind the design. I thought this was great and so did my Dad (especially so as he is an architect).
So all round a wonderful stay and i would most definitely stay at Dunes again. Sri Lanka is an amazing country that you simply cannot just visit once. Thank you for such a pleasant time.

• Stayed: November 2013

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Just came from this calm peaceful place, I fall in love with Dunes. Great conditions and at the same time the real feeling of Sri Lanka. Unawatuna was a fisherman village not so many years ago. So the surrounding still has this rustic feeling. I came to Sri Lanka to explore the country, and so I wanted to stay in a Sri Lankan traditional but comfortable conditions (I personally don't like international hotel chains - they are the same all over the world). I stayed at the top floor room with the balcony. And I loved it. A lot of timber, king size bed, massive mattresses, traditional comfortable chairs,great spacious bathroom with fresh big towels. It was nice to sit at the balcony with a book in the evening. Open construction of the building really help to keep it quite cool. Just before coming (but after booking Dunes) I read some not so good reviews and was a bit scared, but everything was perfectly fine. Strongly recommended:)

Room Tip: downstairs rooms are a bit cooler, but I choose the room with the balcony:)
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I've stayed at Dunes after traveling a bit in Sri Lanka. So I can compare. I also had checked some places and prices in Unawatuna while staying. And I can say that Dunes is a great choice, but not for everybody, for sure. People who are used to stay in Turkish or Egypt all inclusive hotels can be disappointed. Those who want plastic windows, who can't think to stay without AC, who prefer small rooms like boxes, but with ac (there are a lot of places like this in the area), who is annoyed with sounds of nature you'd better stay away from Dunes. Dunes is a NATURAL resort, built in a traditional srilankan way. Traditionally in Sri Lankan rich houses there are high roofs & gaps to let the hot air escape, and some windows (spaces) without glasses done for ventilation. at Dunes there are windows on top of the rooms closed only with bamboo tats which helps to keep the rooms cool, but of course not as cool as ac would do, but for me it is perfectly fine bcs I personally don't like ac, I caught colds in the office with it, I don't need 18 degrees to sleep... I didn't even use the fan some nights, and during the day time I was at the beach. there is a nice jungly garden with a natural pond, but again - it's not for everybody, people who love organized gardens won't like it I guess. But those who enjoy wild nature & animals (monkeys, peacocks, mongoose, lizards, palm squirrels & birds of all colors) will fall in love!!!
I even got some ideas to implement at my countryside house back home.Oh, it was the only one place that had proper spring mattresses & rain showers for this price while I was traveling in Sri Lanka but this was already mentioned in all the reviews of Dunes:)

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We recently stayed in one of the cottages a short distance from the main building. The cottage itself was quite comfortable - lovely shower room and a decent enough fan, but the area, immediately around the cottages resembeled a building site, with sheets of wood, cable drums and, right in front of our door, a large tree stump. The hotel grounds were not much better - a dust bowl with a pond in the middle - not much to look at but great for wildlife with monitor lizards, langur monkeys, kingfishers and a female mongoose and her pup all regular visitors. The big problem we had with the cottage was it's proximity to the surrounding houses, all noisy and intrusive, the one to the rear waking us up every morning at 5.30 with the television on full volume and the dogs barking in the grounds of the one to the front. I'm sure that the hotel will be a better propositon when the grounds are landscaped and the noise problem is sorted out.

Room Tip: Talking to other guests I'd say your best bet for a good nights sleep would be to wear ear defen...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HarryS_9
Reviewed 24 October 2013

This new hotel is approx 5 mins walk along a road to the beach, and is a stones throw from nearby cafes, juice bars, restaurants and shops.
The hotel is built from wood, no A/C but does have fans and mosquito nets. Rooms are semi-open at the ceiling level, so if you are afraid of potential creepy crawlies, then this may not suit.

Room quality is nice, simple with high quality sheets. Food supplied on site is good, ambience is relaxed. Downstairs rooms may hear upstairs neighbours walking around as the floor is just thin wood planks.
The hotel also boats two independent cottages.
There is a pond (i.e. hole in the ground filled with water) facing all rooms - looks a bit in-progress, and may be a hazard for very young children.
Altogether - a nice place to stay which is a little off the beach road.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Small guesthouse, 5 mins walk from the beach. I booked for 2 nights, & then realised it didn't have AC. I should have cancelled the booking immediately but thought I'd try it. No good for me, left after 1 night, room didn't cool much at all, even with fan on full power.

It didn't feel very private or secure, with neither the bedroom or bathroom being fully enclosed, big gaps at the top of the walls & roof, & would have been quite noisy if busy with other guests. The big hole full of water must increase the mossie population as well, not good, when your room isn't insect-proof

No AC, no fridge, no WIFI & no tv in rooms. Very basic, & certainly not 4* hotel as a previous reviewer amazingly suggested.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank jaynewcastle11
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I recently stayed a few nights at the Dunes - if you don't mind lots of noise during the night, this is OK as a no frills budget option. The location is good for Unawatuna (close to beach etc.) and more generally staying in unawatuna is a good base to visit nearby Galle Fort, Hiddkaduwa and Jungle Beach. I stayed in a luxury double balcony room and if you're unlucky enough to have guests staying in adjoining rooms you will be able to hear their conversations and everything they do - the walls are very thin and do not completely separate the rooms where the roof joins.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends