“Awesome Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 145 Unawatuna B&B and Inns
Barcelona, Spain
“Awesome Hotel”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Visited Unawatuna for 3 days with my boyfriend last April and we loved the hotel. We stayed in the fouble rooms and the cottage and both are extremely nice. Comfortable and enchanting the hotel has loads of persinality, the rooms are nicely decorated and impecably clean.
Everyone tries to help you and make sure your holidays are the best.
I'm planning in going there again.
OH! And food was crazy good!
Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2013

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We saw the Dunes hotel last year when it was in the final stages of construction and decided to check it out on our return this year. Recently built using materials sympathetic to its surroundings the Dunes sits just of the "Main Street" that runs through Unawatuna, very easy to miss it but its just past Piples Coffee Bar on the left. The owner has created a lovely quiet little haven, rooms are on 2 floors and to the best of my knowledge none have A/C but do have good fans that also have a swing feature that gets the air in the rooms moving nicely. The rooms all face a pond that has been populated with fish and small frogs .
Rooms are well appointed with good european standard mattress and pillows. The room we stayed in was of a good size with a nice modern en suite, water pressure was good and the supply of "hot" water seemed plentiful.
Breakfast is available but they only do evening meals if requested in advance. Tea, Coffee and soft drinks are reasonably priced. Definitely at the top end of the non A/C market but the extra is well worth it if you can live without A/C.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

We booked Dunes ahead of time concerned we would have trouble getting accommodation over New Years. We were staying in one of their cottages which is separate to the hotel, the room is beautifully and tastefully decorated with great attention to detail. However, when we compared our room to other hotels along the beach, we realised the room is very overpriced.

One can tell Dayan and Jenny care deeply about their hotel and treating their guests with the utmost care, so you will definitely be taken care of if you stay here.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
China, Beijing
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We arrived on the New year eve, obviously the owner is expecting our arrival. Actually there is no reception, Jane led us to the room directly. The setting, design and the way they treat customers is more like something in between of a home stay and boutique hotel. They also lived in the hotel, which means u can find them any time u need. They provide extra service as car rent, whale watching, gems shopping, money exchange and etc..
The location is good even it doesn't sit on the beach. 10 mins walk to the central of the beach and surrounding by all kinds of shops and restaurants.
The room is very spacise for two and fully faciltied with masquito net and preventer, safe box, towel, sanity, hangers and fan in a neat, clean, modern style.
Last but not the least, the breakfast is wonder, but not including in the room charge, 5 dollars per person. But definitely worth the price, the home-made jam is the best I have. Tips, if u'd like local foods for breakfast, u need to book it one day earlier.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sophia W
London
Reviewed 5 December 2013

My Dad and I visited Dunes hotel as our last stop in our two week tour of Sri Lanka. As soon as we walked into the hotel we were welcomed by the owners (Gayan and Jenny) and staff, and offered a drink (as it was very hot and our bags were extremely heavy!) We had a friendly chat and were told some useful information about the area, then escorted to our room.
The rooms are extremely clean and the interior design beautiful; very in keeping with the hotels rustic theme. The roof is open which lets out the heat, meaning that the fan is more than enough to keep you cool at night. Some people worry about bugs but I can honestly say neither me or my dad used the mosquito nets once!
The hotel is a perfect distance from the beach, about a 2 minute walk and far enough away for a peaceful nights sleep if the bars are playing music loud. It is also about a 3 minute walk from the bus station and there are many small food shops along the road.
We ate breakfast at the hotel every morning which was always enjoyable, and we had dinner there twice. I would highly recommend the traditional Sri Lankan curry from Dunes it was by far my favourite meal of the holiday and the cutlery, utensils, pots etc the food is served in are lovely and rustic (again like the rest of the hotel).
The one thing that made our stay most enjoyable was the friendliness of the owners Gayan and Jenny, they were always around to help and have a conversation, and we're also extremely interested in our view of the hotel, constantly asking us for advice and explaining the thought behind the design. I thought this was great and so did my Dad (especially so as he is an architect).
So all round a wonderful stay and i would most definitely stay at Dunes again. Sri Lanka is an amazing country that you simply cannot just visit once. Thank you for such a pleasant time.

• Stayed November 2013
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Just came from this calm peaceful place, I fall in love with Dunes. Great conditions and at the same time the real feeling of Sri Lanka. Unawatuna was a fisherman village not so many years ago. So the surrounding still has this rustic feeling. I came to Sri Lanka to explore the country, and so I wanted to stay in a Sri Lankan traditional but comfortable conditions (I personally don't like international hotel chains - they are the same all over the world). I stayed at the top floor room with the balcony. And I loved it. A lot of timber, king size bed, massive mattresses, traditional comfortable chairs,great spacious bathroom with fresh big towels. It was nice to sit at the balcony with a book in the evening. Open construction of the building really help to keep it quite cool. Just before coming (but after booking Dunes) I read some not so good reviews and was a bit scared, but everything was perfectly fine. Strongly recommended:)

Room Tip: downstairs rooms are a bit cooler, but I choose the room with the balcony:)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at Dunes after traveling a bit in Sri Lanka. So I can compare. I also had checked some places and prices in Unawatuna while staying. And I can say that Dunes is a great choice, but not for everybody, for sure. People who are used to stay in Turkish or Egypt all inclusive hotels can be disappointed. Those who want plastic windows, who can't think to stay without AC, who prefer small rooms like boxes, but with ac (there are a lot of places like this in the area), who is annoyed with sounds of nature you'd better stay away from Dunes. Dunes is a NATURAL resort, built in a traditional srilankan way. Traditionally in Sri Lankan rich houses there are high roofs & gaps to let the hot air escape, and some windows (spaces) without glasses done for ventilation. at Dunes there are windows on top of the rooms closed only with bamboo tats which helps to keep the rooms cool, but of course not as cool as ac would do, but for me it is perfectly fine bcs I personally don't like ac, I caught colds in the office with it, I don't need 18 degrees to sleep... I didn't even use the fan some nights, and during the day time I was at the beach. there is a nice jungly garden with a natural pond, but again - it's not for everybody, people who love organized gardens won't like it I guess. But those who enjoy wild nature & animals (monkeys, peacocks, mongoose, lizards, palm squirrels & birds of all colors) will fall in love!!!
I even got some ideas to implement at my countryside house back home.Oh, it was the only one place that had proper spring mattresses & rain showers for this price while I was traveling in Sri Lanka but this was already mentioned in all the reviews of Dunes:)

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends