“Checked out after one night”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Unawatuna
Sun Set Point Hotel
Ranked #117 of 145 Unawatuna B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Checked out after one night”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This place is like something from the Shining. It's truly awful. Firstly, I emailed and asked for a twin room. This email was responded to, so I asked to confirm my booking, and nothing. No response. We turned up anyway and found two guys who were drunk and watching the cricket. They had no idea we were supposed to be coming, despite me sending two confirmation emails. They gave us a room anyway, but it probably would have been better if they didn't. The room was a dive! There were puddles in the bathroom, the tap leaked and was wobbly, and it was just generally quite worn out. My friend and I agreed to find a new place and leave the next morning, and we're so glad we did. The foyer outside the rooms was creepy and soulless. This place could be so much better if they invested a little love and care into it. We checked out after finding a new place (Prime Time Hotel - just a bit more expensive, but so much nicer) and enjoyed our time in the beautiful Unawatuna so much more.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I booked this hotel as a treat for myself after staying in hostels for so long during my travels in Asia. It was a little over budget (about $30/night through Agoda) but after seeing the quality of the local hostel (the Pink Elephant) I was glad I splurged. The room had a lovely view of the sea over large boulders and rocks. I got a basic room with a fan but I did not miss having air conditioning and I even got a private balcony.

Its about a 5-10 minute walk to Unawatuna beach and from the beach you can access the town and its restaurants quite easily. In the opposite direction, Jungle Beach is about a 20 minute walk (about 1.5-2 km). I really recommend going to one of the restaurants serving authentic Sri Lankan food in town rather than the food on the beach. I had the best meal during my travels in Sri Lanka at one of them in Unawatuna.

Breakfast was included in the room cost and was fantastic. A giant plate of fresh tropical fruit, eggs, the best bread I've had in months (I've been travelling for a while), and a whole pot of tea (or a french press of coffee if you prefer).

The only negative was that the water did not work a couple of times in my room. Apparently it is a problem with the pipes but after I told the guys working there they had the water running again shortly.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Overall good value for money. We completely enjoyed staying here with a group of friends in December 2013. Nice clean rooms, service and food at the restaurant was really good and many options. Building a new deck. Suggest a sunset view room for best view.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SandeepBalaji
London
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We were only meant to stay 1 night but as we loved it so much we ended up staying a week!
Lal and the staff made our stay extra special with the warm, helpful service - nothing was too much trouble!!
The breakfast is to die as is dinner and what a stunning setting - overlooking the sea with waves breaking on the rocks.
Short walk to jungle beach and a gorgeous pool in the garden to cool off or spend the day!
The sea view rooms (very clean) are really worth it with the best sunset view in the bay.
Can't wait to come back next year!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amy B
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 14 January 2014

quiet laid back,three hundred metres off the beach. very good value with spacious clean rooms.excellent breakfast included,served on sea view balcony.helpful friendly staff withvery good cook . very homey relaxed atmosphere. strongly recommed . pjs

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank pjs6969
Sydney
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed in the sea view room and the name of the hotel is very suited, the evening sun set is directly in front of your balcony and is truly amazing. You look straight out into the horizon and to the left so can see galle fort and light house. Breakfast is great and the staff do all they can to make you feel safe and welcome. I love this place, the peace and quite and sound of the sea is so tranquil. Highly recommend it as it is basic but brilliant.

• Stayed January 2014
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Lal the owner is a very friendly well spoken helpful host. The location of the hotel is good a 5 min walk to the beach and out of the busy area. Price is fair. Our room had multiple leaks in the roof which looked to be there for some time this needs to be fixed. There were no spare rooms to change to on our first night. Lal moved us as soon as he could the following day and the new room was good. No compensation for the first night offered. Breakfast was nice and staff friendly. A suggestion i make to the owner is to pickup any rubbish that has blown into the property each day, simple actions like this really make a difference.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple