Thaproban Pavilion Resort and Spa
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Villa Baywatch(Unawatuna)
View Hotel
All reviewsprivate beachsandy areaunawatuna beachhermit crabshuge wavesduplex roomsri lankaindian oceanminute walksea viewwaves crashingmain beachbeach housesister hotelswimming poolrooms are hugeseafood
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The plan was two quiet nights in an ocean front hotel. Well, the Thaproban is on the ocean but it is not so simple to access it. The pool sits along the cliffs of rock and ocean. But the pool is small and very crowded - much like a city pool. The noise level was so bad continuously, I moved my room from a ground floor pool view to a third floor in the back and still had a small view of the ocean and sunset (room # 117). This room is a bit smaller and no living room space (which I would never use) but it is airy and quiet for today at least and has a large balcony facing the sunsets. There is sensitive wifi which fades in and out and room service which is excellent. The staff tries very hard to see that everyone is happy and mostly, I am. It is a very attractive place but there is too much noise everywhere and you can hear the conversations from the next room. That all said, this is not the hotel for me and would not return.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, you must take a room in the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed for 3 nights at the end of a week in Sri Lanka. As soon as we arrived, every single member of staff was friendly, attentive and eager to please. Nothing was too much trouble for any of them. Of particular note were the heads of sections, each of whom took a personal interest in my family's enjoyment of the stay. Lasantha, the F&B manager was particularly good, spending time to discuss menu choices with my children (10 and 13) - and indeed taking responsibility for them when my wife and I headed off to the beach without them for a few hours. My daughter felt especially pampered and grown up to be able to have a full discussion about what she might want for her dinner that night and order it herself. The food was absolutely fantastic. The night we arrived there was a seafood buffet served on the hotel's "beach", which is a lovely flat, sandy area between the pool and the rocks overlooking the ocean. This was of a really high quality and the chefs were very keen to explain what they had cooked and encourage eating of it! The range of premium seafood (lobster, giant prawns, etc) was impressive for something so inexpensive and was accompanied by plenty of fresh salad and vegetables. When I was asked the following day what I wanted for dinner I asked for the same and while this wasn't on the menu, the F&B staff brought a platter of fresh seafood out to me while I was in the pool and allowed me to choose precisely what I wanted them to cook later. That's my kind of customer service! We had planned to eat away from the hotel at least once, but found it impossible to resist both the quality and the service. The job of the management team seems to be to work with the keen and friendly-natured staff to add 5-star levels of service. Whilst this is a work in progress, it is of little consequence to have the occasional breakfast order muddled up when what you get is delicious and accompanied by genuinely friendly service. It is obvious what the team are aiming towards, though, and I am sure they will succeed.
As for the room, we had 111 which is a massive duplex. There is a funny roof terrace 3rd floor, which we didn't use. If there's any faults, they are here, but fairly minor. The wetroom wasn't quite as well draining as it could have been and the safe should be secured to something immobile. The layout of the hotel, with a central outdoor alleyway between the rooms is really nice and the lobby decor is lovely too, making for a very relaxing feel. The pool area is very nicely laid out and dominates the centre of a very social space.
Overall, the quality of the hotel in a country where standards are a little haphazard and the proximity to the wonderful Unawatuna beach make this a hotel we would love to return to.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed for 7 nights in April. This is a great hotel on Unawatuna beach. We loved the location, very close walking distance to the beach, but unbelievable views from the hotel. We were upgraded to an amazing room with a view and balcony. The staff is so friendly and willing to go out of their way to help you. We loved Unawatuna itself. So many places to eat, close proximity to Galle and overall relatively quite. I loved that there weren't any huge resorts. Would go back in a heartbeat and stay at Thaproban Pavillion again.

My only criticism is that the hotel was very loud. You could hear a lot that was going on in the hotel through doors and walls. If you are a light sleeper this wouldn't be ideal. We dealt with it, but it did get irritating after a while. The breakfast that was provided as part of our rate could have been a little more varied. We only ate there twice and then decided to go other places to eat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Julia H
Thaproban, General Manager at Thaproban Pavilion Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

We thank you for your review of the Thaproban Pavilion Resort & Spa. We agree with the valued guests that we are very fortunate with the location in an area. Our dedicated staff does most sincerely appreciate your kind remarks. Thank you for giving us the entire pleasure & privilege of serving you.Thank you for your genuine review and we will consider them to update the quality standard of the hotel. Look forward to you returning if at all possible.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

A perfect escape, brilliantly located so it benefits from total peace and quiet but is a very short walk from the beach (so much accommodation in Unawatuna is so close to the road).
The best food in Unawatuna, you must try the Sri Lankan curry here.
The spa treatments are well priced and a delight with lovely open treatment rooms.
Staff couldn't do enough and were just wonderful.
It's very luxurious for its reasonable price, room 101 is the one to get.
Yoga is close by if you want to participate.
I cried when I left as felt so happy and relaxed here.

Room Tip: Book 101 for its amazing view...but all rooms are lovely!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

We are pleased to note that the valued guest feel you were well served at the Thaproban Pavilion Resort & Spa. I am pleased the guests did enjoy the total experience. Thank you for your genuine review of our Thaproban Pavilion Resort & Spa and its really genuine to see in your review "I cried when I left as felt so happy and relaxed here".thank you very much.
We are looking forward to welcome you soon.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Just returned home after spending 11 days at this wonderful hotel with my family and cannot recommend it highly enough, especially for those travelling with children. The rooms are tastefully decorated, spacious and cool, the food is good, the pool area is lovely and there is a small beach which is very safe and perfect for kids. Everything about the hotel is delightful but the biggest asset is the staff working there. Nothing is too much trouble for them, they are great with children and they will go out of their way to help you.

On arrival at the hotel we realised we had left our 6 month old daughter's bag at the airport, this had all her food, clothes, nappies, milk, bottles etc in it. This could easily have ruined our holiday but the manager of the hotel was calm and unruffled, he contacted the airport, tracked down the bag, arranged for one of their drivers to pick it and we had it back the next day.

All the staff, from the manager to the receptionist, the waiting staff and cleaning staff were friendly, helpful and played a massive part in making the holiday an unforgettable experience. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Unawatuna.

Stayed: April 2014

Thank you for your kind remarks based on the perception of the services and facilities we offer at the Thaproban Pavilion Resort & Spa. Our staff appreciates your positive review and remarks. We thank you for selecting your stay with Thaproban Pavilion Resort & Spa and I am pleased the guests did enjoy the total experience. Look forward to welcome you and your family.