“stay at the pink elephant!”

Pink Elephant Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 162 Unawatuna B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I couldnt recommend the pink elephant highly enough. We stayed in june 2014. I think older reviews of this place must be prior to a very tasteful renovation. It was the cleanest and friendliest place we stayed in sri lanka. We had a room with a view of the ocean, paradise! Such good value! Chavinda our host was wonderful, warm and knowledgeable and we enjoyed chatting with him over drinks. Thank you chavinda, we hope our paths cross again one day and if we come back to sri lanka we will most definitely stay with you again and recommend you to our family and friends, anneka and alex

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anneka_bunt

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed here over 4 months ago but still remember this cool place. At 800 rupees it was the cheapest bed I had in SL (about 1000 less than I usual) and possibly the best; comfy with a good mozzy net. The food here was awesome, definitely the best I had in SL.

The reason for 4* is that service was slow at times, and security wasn't quite up to scratch- more than once I woke up with a (stray?) dog in the dorm...

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Firstly I stayed at this hotel in march 2014. The hotel was runby a young staff.
It was not a 5 star hotel service but food was delicious and atmosphere was great. I enjoyed the spirit of freedom and relax. I still mis the guys...

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor are better
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I have stayed at Pink Elephant for a week.The hotel is run by young people but they can manage to do it great.I cannot say the rooms are clean and tidy,furniture is modest:just a bed,a table and a chair.But if you come to the hotel to enjoy freedom and taste good food,you are at the right place.Pink Elephant is the hotel for young people who appreciate the spirit of freedom.....When I go to Unawatuna next time,I'll stay at this hotel only. I'll never forget my staying there!

Room Tip: garden faced rooms are quiter,but one comes to the hotel not to sleep but enjoy night life!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank lyudmilawestrik
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Ok, so it doesn't appear the greatest, the dorms or the rooms. Forget them. The staff are great fun, the drinks are plentiful and cheap. The customers are travellers and chilled. The Pink Elephant made Sri Lanka for me. I wish I was there now!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Matt F
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the pink elephant for just 2 nights in beach view 2. Big spacious room with a balcony, although the view was a little obscured by a tree.
There are only 4 rooms on the upper level above the dorms and it was fabulous. There was a party on our last night - we didn't even know it was happening as we couldn't hear it from our room so no need to worry about noise if your a light sleeper.
Fadger and his wife Alison were so hospitable. Anything we wanted we got. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming. The food was epic, amazing to find a place that DIDN'T serve Chinese (we found everywhere in Sri Lanka has Chinese food). They don't have menus, everything is written up on a huge chalk board behind the bar, Fadger and his wife are well travelled so you can find foods from all over the world here, made a nice change after 3 weeks.

At just opposite the beach, in the middle of Una, makes it a perfect location. For the tighter budget travellers there is a large spacious dorm room again with balcony for 800rps a night. If we could have stayed longer we would have.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The Pink Elephant had its own unique vibe -original music, lounge seating on the decks, amazing food and best of all great staff.
The place was always packed at night which made it easy to meet new people and have a great time. Fajer and Alison, the owners, are extremely well traveled and so welcoming. Listening to their tall tales about 'living in the amazon jungle', 'tribal dancing in Ethiopia', or 'feasting in Yemen' was the cherry on top and added to the wonderful charm of the hotel.
-Must Must try their Surfer's Delight smoothie!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends