We booked this as a treat to end our Si Lankan holiday and it didn't disappoint.
The room was modern, clean and well equipped. While not spacious, it contained everything we needed and was well laid out. The staff were friendly, attentive and professional throughout our stay.
While I was initially disappointed to see the beach at the hotel was not usable, it was an easy stroll to the main beach area. I came to see this as a positive thing - to have the hotel separated from the noise and activity associated with populated beaches.
With your own transport it is an easy and quick drive into Galle. I can't comment on taxis or public transport as we did not use them.
- The buffet breakfast was a highlight - with numerous Sri Lankan and western options
- Our room was spotless, with a comfortable bed and good shower
- The pool and day beds were very relaxing
- The table tennis provides additional entertainment
- The staff were helpful and attended to our issues promptly
- The open shower means the bathroom floor is always wet
- Breakfast finishes a little early for those of us who want to sleep in on our holidays
We had a great time and would definitely return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Calamander Unawatuna Beach is one of Sri Lanka's most popular beach resorts, located directly on Unawatuna Bay. The most renowned holiday destination on the South coast, Unawatuna Beach is famous for its natural beauty, laid back ambience, proximity to Galle Fort, a Unesco World Heritage site, and is the best beach in the country. UBR, established over 30 years ago, has been transformed, since November 2011, as Calamander Unawatuna Beach. The resort retains the relaxed character of the former UBR, the excellent service from long standing staff, good food and al fresco dining. The only hotel on Unawatuna Beach with swimming pools, Calamander Unawatuna Beach has built the first glass fronted lap pool in Sri Lanka and the longest, at 25 metres, in the Asia Pacific region. In addition a stunning Italian mosaic, 25 metres in length, outdoor pool, with adjoining jacuzzi and a separate children's paddling pool. Calamander Unawatuna Beach is a 4 star class hotel with five star facilities. It is the first beach hotel in Sri Lanka with accredited carbon neutral status and future projects aim to develop sustainable eco-technology in the hotel's power generation and transport services. Guests are encouraged to engage in utilising the resort's facilities in the most eco-friendly way, without compromising on comfort and are invited to offset their individual carbon foot print with a small, voluntary, financial contribution, to the hotel's carbon neutral status. Calamander Unawatuna Beach is a trail blazer in Sri Lanka, for the 'affordable luxury' concept. Its design ethos of modernity, complimenting the beauty of its geography, has proven to be popular with our guests from all over the world. This together with high standards of service, Calamander Unawatuna Beach is now renowned for being a family friendly resort welcoming Sri Lankans as well as foreign guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Calamander Unawatuna Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Unawatuna Beach Hotel Unawatuna
- Unawatuna Beach Resort