Stayed 8 days at Rockside, first visit to Sri-Lanka.
Only facts for newbies and other who want to stay at Rockside. Located at a narrow strip between sea and road + railroad. Have a look at Google maps. If you are sound-sensitive, the place is not for you. As MANY other places along the coast ( I think so). Rail traffic is not hard, but you will hear a whistle every hour from 6am till 8 pm. Road traffic is hard and you will hear horns constantly as drivers love to honk. Take it in mind not to be frustrated.
For newbies. There a lot of mosquitos at the evening and night. Buy Cintonella oil just on arrival. It’s natural and gives good protection.
Facts about Rockside. We lived some days at apartments and some day at garden cabana. Take apartments if you are sensitive to sound of waves. If you like to sleep at cool air take apartments as there is no AC at cabana ( only fan). But I can say that air is good at cabana without AC . Space at cabana is roughly twice more than at apartment.
The distance from territory to the shore is several meters. The coast is sandy with a lot of corals ( in water ). There is a good place for swimming 50 meters right from Rockside. There is a natural pool formed by coral reef. There is almost no waves and shallow ( not more than a meter depth ). Nice place for children. Nice for snorkeling. Dimensions of the “pool” are roughly 30m to 100m.
People wrote about “German order” at Rockside. I’ll try to be objective. Only some observations. When walking along the coast you can see other cabanas and Rockside as one of them. You can see:
- There are no coconuts at cocotrees at Rockside and a lot of nuts at other cabanas. Silly? It won’t be silly when a nut falls your head.
- A firm white-painted stone fence. It is not high, about half a meter. But other cabanas have fence made of sticks from nearest bush
- Staff at Rockside wear new blue t-shirts. Sometimes you can see staff from other cabanas in wrinkled far from new clothes.
Those can seem stupid but for me it shows the attitude to visitors. I think that “German order” is better than “local order” in that country.
Finally three more things.
You can choose only eggs in all variations as a main at breakfast. I wrote Renata my thoughts about it and some ways to improve breakfast menu. Hope she will take to heart.
There are ants in apartments and cabanas. Not a lot, I saw only one track at bath. Keep it in mind if you are sensitive. But if you stay close to the nature I think it’s unavoidable and fight with them would be a great stupidity. We would die from our own chemicals.
Some people wrote that it’s forbidden to bring food into apartments and they though because of greed owners. I think everybody brings. We brought. I think this rule is not because of greediness. I’m not sure of rats, but exactly because of ants. We drop a small piece of biscuit and saw ants track directly that piece a few hours later. Certainly we washed the floor and ants disappeared but next time we were very careful with food.
Shortly it's a nice place with specific features.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ROCKSIDE CABANAS HOTEL - directly at the Mihiripenna/Dalawella beach! Jump from your bed straight into the 28° C warm water of the ocean. Relax in a hammock under the coconut palms in the 1.000 m² garden of the ROCKSIDE in Mihiripenna near Unawatuna. And in the evening you'll probably lounge in our garden restaurant or on your veranda, sipping a cool drink and enjoying the spectacular sunset over the sea.If you want to perfectly relax just ask us to take care of you - or stay completely private in your CABANA or your APARTMENT. At our own UNAWATUNA DIVING CENTRE, PADI Resort S-36133, situated directly on the beach, only 2 km away from ROCKSIDE we offer you daily snorkeling trips and fun dives to our different dive spots (reef, rock, wrack). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Rockside Cabanas Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rockside Cabanas Hotel Unawatuna