“We Love it Here!”

Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Unawatuna
London
“We Love it Here!”
Reviewed 25 February 2010

This is a hidden gem! Sassi and his team are great. The Cabanas are cleaned every day with fresh towels and linen. The beds are comfortable and the fridge comes in very handy. The bathrooms are modern wet rooms with walk in showers – even the toilet paper is high quality. The air conditioning is a blessing during the hot and humid nights. It’s so quiet during the day or night that you can get your head down any time. The gardens are lush and beautiful: they have a gardener trimming, manicuring and watering all day. Breakfast can be taken at any time of the day – most days we had breakfast at 12.00 ish. All there fruit, curd, tea, coffee, toast, eggs, bacon and sausages: you must also try the hoppers and string hoppers with onion sambar! The waiters are all fantastic and come to your assistance for any request and always with a smile. Thanks to Prahmed, Amilla and Mahish. Oh yes and Lala the nicest gem salesman you will ever meet. There is a big clean pool with palm shade and pool side beds to relax on after a rough night – I recommend a prawn cocktail or two for brunch washed down with a white wine spritzer at the pool side. You may think this is not the place to have a steak (Asia that is) but you would be wrong the meat is exceptional!

To all my friends and friends I made by the dozen her – Horst & Annetta the funniest, nicest Germans I have ever encountered (of course your half Dutch though) – “Tonight’s gonna be a good night”. John & Babs (Barbara) the once again the funniest, nicest (Scousers) I have met – Did you find the real Lanka in the end La? Alex & (King) Hong + Baby Sam from Vietnam (Muswell Hill) travelling (pushing) the world on the crest of a wave! Lucy & Lorna for the last week a bit of eye candy! Heather & Michael hope you’re feeling strong Mike! Mark & Nicola (Kerrie) + Little Tulip I hope your maid got her T-shirt! To all the Russians who created such unrest (a new Easter & Western front in the restaurant seating) before their arrival and in the end they were the quietest best behaved of all of us – I loved the synchronised pool dances!

I will be returning everyone else stay away

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheCourtyardChapora

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Willunga
Reviewed 21 February 2010

Thanks to Sassi and all his staff who looked after our family and personally assisted me after travel dramas in New Delhi Airport. He continually contacted me to check on my delayed arrival and he arranged a safe airport pickup at midnight - thank goodness for Sassi!
I received the best welcome at the Flower Garden Villa and It is obvious that Sassi and staff focus on making all visitors feel most welcome with a smile.
Accommodation very comfortable and meals excellent.
Sassi helps organise daily activities and whatever you need to know to make your holiday most enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Hawaii
Reviewed 10 February 2010

We joined extended family in Unawatuna for a family wedding in Galle. The owner of the Flower Garden, Sassi, arranged for a pick-up from Colombo, and was there to provide us with literally anything else we required during our 5-day stay. The garden is beautiful, the rooms are uniquely designed, private and comfortable. The staff are a joy, and always had a ready smile and willingness to help in any way. Nine of our family stayed there and we felt like part of the Flower Garden family when we left. If you can bring yourself to leave the shaded lounges by the beautiful pool, and the cold beers under the fans, then Unawatuna Beach, and all it has to offer (which is a lot) is only a short stroll down the street.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
england
Reviewed 8 February 2010

We arrived in Unawatuna following a 6 day adventure around Sri Lanka looking forward to some R&R.
Following a poor intro to Unawatuna at "Unawatuna Beach Resort", we thought we had died and gone to heaven when we finally arrived at Flower Garden.
From the moment we arrived the service levels were excellent and our Cabana, set in the lush tropical gardens, was absolutely divine.
The rooms are spotless and the bathroom was to a standard you would expect to find in a 5* resort with hot running water and exclusive decor. To have our own coffee making facility in the Cabana was heaven sent for 2 such caffeine dependants!!
The swimming pool was a nice size and kept spotlessly clean.
We cannot begin to describe how good the food is!!!! All freshly prepared by Sassi and his dedicated team, we have never stayed at a hotel where we were not tempted to eat out before! The food has a very French influence but ask Sassi for anything else and he is more than happy to conjure up a culinary delight (check out the Sri Lankan curries but prepare with a very empty stomach,,, yumm)
A big mention has to go out to Mahesh & Remmy (apologies if we have the spelling wrong!) for taking care of us and quenching our incurable thrist for Lion Beer and Arrack with such attentive service and consistant smiles.
We would recommend Flower Garden to anybody looking for a hotel in Unawatuna that goes that extra mile in ensuring your holiday is so memorable.

Moscow
Reviewed 2 February 2010

Yes, it is very good hotel. And I recommend for people, who just want to relax. The food is tasty, but I can't say it's cheapest in Unawatuna. Everything was fine. Not many drunk people from Russia and Germany. Don't forget to put your towel on the deck-chair.
About the sea. if you want to swim in the ocean, you have to go for about 10 minutes. So if it's not a problem, then it's for you.
Good luck!

England
Reviewed 31 January 2010

I haven't stayed there and won't because I made a simple enquiry prior to booking to which the reply I received from someone called Sassi was very rude. It included his calling me unintelligent! I can honestly say that no enquiry I have ever made anywhere has ever been replied to in that manner.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
7 Thank brightangel
Sri Lanka
Reviewed 28 January 2010

I made and confirmed a reservation with some one called "Sasine" who claimed to be the manager.
Later in the day, someone else called from the hotel and told me that the manager had instructed him to tell me that my reservation has been cancelled. This was very inconvenient as our travel plans were for the very next day.
I asked him why the manager himself did not call me, and that this is unprofesional.

He said, if i have a problem I can call the manager my self ! He did not even say he was sorry.
Guess I should be glad they didnt wait untill we turned up at their door step to tell us we were not welcome.

Unless you want to take the risk of being stranded, do not book this hotel.

8 Thank PatCatCat