“Decent for the price”

and 1 more site!
Black Beauty Guesthouse
Ranked #34 of 162 Unawatuna B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I stayed here March-April 2012 on vacation with a friend. The first room I got was terrible. It was right next to the pool, so you heard everything & everyone that was there. It also had a shared interior door with another part of the building, & this door had no lock. It just had a small desk pushed up against it as a makeshift way to secure it. It also had a window at the top that was not covered. I felt really uncomfortable in that room my first night.

Thankfully I asked to be moved, & was put in a much more secure room. This room had two beds, which was much better since my friend came on the second night.

The breakfast decent, & was in a lovely atmosphere up in the trees. The guys that worked there were attentive & helpful. The remainder of our stay was pleasant, but I would say it was suited more for families with small children. Next time I will stay at a place right on the beach.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
brittawegner, Manager at Black Beauty Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

I am glad that the staff responded to your request to change the room for you.
For breakfast we offer a big fruit plate, toast, butter, jam, egg, tea or coffee. Everything is prepared fresh in the morning. Please let us know if we can improve the breakfast while you are staying with us, so the staff will be able to change things directly.
Our guest at Black Beauty Guesthouse are coming from all over the world. There are single traveller, families and couples. I am proud that we do have such a colorful mixture of travelers staying with us.
Thank you.
Britta and the Black Beauty Team

Reviewed 18 November 2012

For only 30$ / night, you get AC room, cool breakfast with fredh papaya and toasts, you got a pool if you want to swim some more after the beach and the german/sri lankan owners are nice. We had great chat at midnight with the young guys staff, played sri lankan games on the rooftop restaurant. Chill out ambiance ! The only thing maybe is that you need to walk 12 minutes from the hotel to the beach... But who cares, right, you're on holiday !!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank louise b
brittawegner, Manager at Black Beauty Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

Thank you for your review. I will check your room again. There should be a folder with a lot of information about us and around us ready for our guests.
Regards,
Black Beauty Team, Unawatuna

Reviewed 22 October 2012

Enjoyed staying here, it is a nice garden setting and the pool is a lovely respite from the beach and all the sand. It is literally 2 minutes walk to the beach and lots of very nice restaurants. Loved Unawatuna and the experience was enhanced by the great value 3500 rupees (fan only) of this place. Did not eat there as there were so many great places to eat on the beach and the restaurant is on top of the new wing - we stayed in the older rooms which are basic but quite comfortable. The pool was very clean and only thin missing were sunloungers - only have chairs

They miss some opportunities as they do cooking classes - which we only fond out about when they were talking to some other people, they also offer taxi service which again we only found out about when we had already booked one. However they were very nice people and I highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: It was good be on the ground floor
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank wub100
brittawegner, Manager at Black Beauty Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor. We are planning to get some sun beds. I will post pictures of them as soon as we got them. I am sorry that you did not get all the information about the services we offer. There should have been a folder with all the information about Black Beauty. I will check all the rooms and make sure that there are updated folders in each room.
Regards,
Britta, Black Beauty Team

Reviewed 29 September 2012

The black beauty guesthouse is a great place, very basic but all you need for a few days in una. The guys who work at the guesthouse are amazing, very friendly and make amazing food and breakfast smoothies. The guesthouse is set just off the beach in the forest, each room has its own balcony living area. If I went back to una I would definitely stay at the bb again, great value for money.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LewisY
brittawegner, Manager at Black Beauty Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2012

Thank, you.
Black Beauty Team, Unawatuna

Reviewed 3 July 2012

Very lovely guest house in Unawatuna, we spent 4 nights there in November 2011. Very clean, like being in a treetop in the jungle. Owner was a bit difficult as we had booked it through Opodo or someone like that and she was having trouble with them and tried to charge us again. We had paperwork with us to show we had paid. She was a iffy but soon got over it. The rooms are nice with lovely balconies. We didn't eat there as we liked the South Ceylon vegetarian restaurant for breakfast and dinner. However we did use their fridge etc for keeping wine and beer cool. Would definitely recommend it to anyone. Good for families, couples or single travellers. Grounds are lush, green and well kept. Staff really nice too.

Room Tip: The higher up in the building the better the views.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynnedilou59
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
thank you for your review of our guesthouse. We always try to do our best. Unfortunately we had some major problems with one of the travel agents we were working with. They had not paid us for the previous guests who stayed with us. So I informed them, that we were not able to accommodate any more of their guests. Although I had informed them early enough they still let you pay for Black Beauty and you had expected no problems. I am sorry for any inconvenience cause from our site, but I hope you also do understand our position. When I gave you the room and accepted the payment you did through the travel agent, I was not sure if I ever will get paid for that.
Thanks again for your review. I will share it with our staff. Regards,
Britta

Reviewed 7 June 2012

This was our last stop in Sri Lanka and one of the more touristy areas we stayed in. However, Black Beauty is in a nice quiet location away from the 'party scene' (if there is one - because we couldn't hear it!) on the main beach. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room was clean and spacious and the pool/garden was a lovely place to hang out. Our two year old son had a great time playing out infront of our ground floor room. Previous comments mention lots of noise from kids etc, but that wasn't something we experienced.

Room Tip: Ground floor room was great with a child - much safer than being in the higher rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank ALee248
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Stayed here for a week and was very happy with the choice. I booked after a helpful email conversation with Britta, the owner, who also arranged an airport pickup from Colombo (The transfer takes a few hours due to the Colombo chaos, but is well worth it if you're going direct from the airport)

All the higher floor rooms were already booked, so I had a ground floor, non air-con room. Clean room with double bed and mosquito net. Shower room was a bit musty but nothing to worry about. There's also a nice terrace area to each room with a couple of seats to relax in.

The pool area is excellent and spotless. The staff are friendly, welcoming and helpful with any requests you may have. I didn't eat here, but did sit in the top floor communal area and had a couple of early evening beers while watching the sunset.

Location is a max of a couple of minutes walk out of the back gate to the beach (although you have to walk by a pretty stinky canal). It's at the far end of the beach, but everywhere on beach road is easily walkable to.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends