“Nor Lanka… Without question the best place ever!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Unawatuna Nor Lanka Hotel

Unawatuna Nor Lanka Hotel
Ranked #4 of 140 Unawatuna B&B and Inns
“Nor Lanka… Without question the best place ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2011

I don’t even know where to begin, but let it be said that Nor Lanka will probably give you the best possible settings for your vacation in Sri Lanka.
I travelled nearly 50 countries and have visited many guesthouses and hotel etc., but nothing comes close the atmosphere at Nor Lanka… I would highly recommend it to all.

We pre-booked Nor Lanka primarily because of the many excellent reviews here at Tripadvisor and must say that it exceeds all of our expectations. - It’s rare to find a hotel/guesthouse in Tripadvisor that has a score like Nor Lanka, and I know now the reason for that!

The family-held and very homely hotel is situated just a short walk from the Unawatuna Beach and the hotel and the surrounding garden is a peaceful oasis ideal for vacations with children. My girlfriend and I travelled with our 20-month-old daughter, who loved every single minute of our stay. However, whether travelling as a couple, single or with children, I find this place perfect.

Anoma and Helge (the owners) are amazing and we had a lot of fun with both them and the rest of the staff. They are all very welcoming and caring and will do their best to make you stay as memorable as possible. Anoma, Helge and the tuk-tuk driver Lal knows a lot about the area and will give you valuable input if needed.
The food is fantastic (the curries are exceptionel), the service indescribable, the rooms very clean and from our balcony we could enjoy the playful monkeys in the trees surrounding the hotel… All in all Nor Lanka gives you great value for money!

Thanks, Anoma, Helge and the rest of your guys… you are fantastic!

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Surrey, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2011

Myself and a group (15) of fellow fire fighters from Canada invaded the Nor Lanka for a month in Feb/Mar. All I can say is we stayed at probably the best place in Unawatuna. If I had one bad thing to say it would be that the food was so good it stopped me from trying any of the other resaurants in the area :) The owners will make you feel like family. I just hope our next project brings us back to Sri Lanka so we can reunite. Thanks Helge, Anoma Coach & Noah, you are great people!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2011

We stayed at the Nor Lanka on the recommendation of a friend who said, "I can't say enough good about this place!" Turns out, he was exactly right. We stayed for a week and can't wait to go back. The accomodations, the food, the location, the people, the staff, everything was GREAT! We have 2 young girls, ages 9 and 6, and this was an ideal holiday. The Nor Lanka is a very peaceful and relaxed place and yet there was much fun to be had. The open dining area creates a cozy community atmosphere and the food is simply to die for! They have a variery of dishes (Sri Lankan and western) on the menu and can accomodate anybody...my picky eater had toast and french fries just about every meal. The milkshakes are great too. The hotel is situated behind a wall and the grounds are inviting making it ideal for the kids to play. The beach is about a 2 minute walk and there are plenty of fun excursions to take that are within a 30 minute tuk-tuk drive. We will definitely go back to the Nor Lanka a would highly recommend it to anyone!

1 Thank skwilson4
Colombo, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

We stayed at Nor Lanka hotel in Unawatuna from 26 march - 2 april.

The hotel is owned and managed by a norwegian, Helge and his Sri Lankan wife Naoma. Both are working in the hotel and Naomas brother Lal is a Tuk tuk driver that servs Norlanka hotel guests. The food is also very good

The hotel is quite small but has nice and clean rooms, nice staff and a familial feeling.

They do not have a pool but the beach is only 100-150 m away and on the beach it is a lot of nice restaurants.

Personally I definetly prefer this hotel over the bigger neighbour Unawatuna beach resort - but I guess it is a matter of opinion.

If you go to Unawatuna/Norlanka hotel then you should also visit Djungle beach for snorkeling, Vijaya beach for safe swimming (it is a reef in front of the beach and on the inside there is very calm)

We really liked to sit at the hotel in the evening having a drink or some food and talking to the owners and Lal.
Lal is also a good guide who knows a lot about the area. He showed us the fort and the museum in Galle where they still make jewlery by hand and also the temple where gigant bats are living nearby.

We only spent a week in Unawatuna but I sure hope that we come back soon and explore more of all the things Unawatuna has to offer.

1 Thank Joakim_Edenborgh
Dundee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

Having spent a year volunteering in Sri Lanka, and having stayed at many places around Sri Lanka, I chose to spend my last week in my all time favourite place - Nor Lanka.
The staff are wonderful, so friendly and they create a very welcoming and relaxing atmosphere. The food is brilliant - the curries are full of flavour and so tasty. The location is perfect - close enough to be just a 2 min walk to the beach, but far enough back to be away from the noise of the clubs/restaurants at night. And the rooms are immaculate in cleanliness and very very comfortable, with very powerful/hot showers.
Thanks to Helge and his family for several wonderful stays - I'll definitely be back

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank suzfreeman
New Delhi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

Date: 6 April 2011
We stayed two nights in this great little hotel and wished it had been longer. The family-friendly atmosphere was just right, including a place to leave our sandy flip flops outside in the garden and a couple of curious monkeys climbing about on trees nearby. The breakfast was simple, but hearty and good, which always makes a difference in the day. We also ordered one lunch there and it was very good. My husband had the traditional Sri Lankan fish curry and was very happy with it--which is not easy to accomplish because he's from a family of Indian food critics.
No TV in the room. I expected our teenager to balk, but a day at the beach and visiting with other guests was enough for her, so no problem.
The room and bathroom were simple but very clean.
The staff were friendly and gracious.
The only surprise was the lack of credit card facility at check-out. Luckily we had enough Sri Lankan rupees to cover it, but I'm sure we could have changed money nearby.

Brooklyn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2011

I had a great time here. The owners were very kind and understanding. The fresh food was delicious and the restaurant is very clean. I slept very well here and it was nice having a room away from the crowded Unawatuna beach to come back to.
I unfortunately had to leave early due to an illness in my family. The owners were very accommodating and helpful regarding this. The power in the area went out and the owners made sure there was power so i could use the internet to arrange my way home.

I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: All the rooms seem great. I preferred a high floor