“Best Hotel Stay Ever”

Ranked #5 of 146 Unawatuna B&B and Inns
Roses, Spain
“Best Hotel Stay Ever”
Reviewed 13 February 2009

The other reviews for Nor Lanka say it all but I still want to add my voice to the chorus of praise for Nor Lanka.

Nor Lanka has a fantastic atmosphere thanks to your hosts Anoma & Helge which in my experience is unsurpassed among the 100+ hotels I have stayed at in over 30 countries.

The food is great quality and value and the staff is very friendly.
The rooms are very clean and pleasant.

The Hotel itself is a little oasis of peace and quiet, tucked neatly away just behind the beautiful beach of Unawatuna. There are many lovely places to visit within close proximity as well as many other outstanding beaches.

For me however, it was incredibly friendly atmosphere and great company which made my stay unforgettable.

I think what says it all is the fact that most of the guests staying at Nor Lanka during my stay are either planning to return or have already booked ahead for next year and in one case even two years ahead

Thankfully im already returning in one month’s time

• Liked — Everything was perfect
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2009

We completed our tour of Sri Lanka with a 3-day stay at the Nor Lanka Hotel and had the most fantastic experience. Other reviewers have said it all but I just want to reiterate that Anoma and Helge really are excellent hosts and made made us feel very welcome indeed. The food was so good that we ate at the hotel every evening as well as most lunchtimes (and that's saying something since I'm a bit of a foodie and usually like to try different restaurants). I've eaten good food in many countries but I have to say that the quality and variety at the Nor Lanka is exeptional. The rooms were clean and there was a very comfortable vibe about the whole place - a really friendly atmosphere. Anoma's brother is a safe tuk-tuk driver, based at the hotel, who made our lives very easy by helping us find various shops and taking us on tours. When we wanted a secluded beach he took us there and collected us bang on time. I can't recommend the Nor Lanka enough - my only fear is that with such universally good reviews they may be fully booked next time I want to stay there!
Marie Langseth, London

• Liked — The food and the friendly vibe
  • Disliked — Having only 3 days there!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
Kabash
Reviewed 28 January 2009

What a fantastic experience we had at the Nor Lanka hotel, we stayed for 8 nights and this family run hotel exceeded all our expectations.

Lal made some great recommendations on local tourist spots (Galle, lagoon, stilt fishermen, turtle sanctuary etc) and was very accommodating to run us around in his tuk tuk.

The food at the hotel was excellent (make the most of the fresh sea food), well presented and cooked in a spotless kitchen. The gardens are beautiful, rooms are immaculate and the hotel is situated within a short walk to the lovely Unawatuna beach.

Anoma and Helge did everything possible to ensure our stay was enjoyable, the couple have a great sense of humour and our evenings were full of laughs.

Thanks to them we have some great memories of Sri Lanka and hope to return in the future.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Kabash
london
Reviewed 20 January 2009

Great value for money. Modern, very clean, spacious and minimalistic decor, friendly and helpful staff, transport available on request at the hotel. The food is absolutely delicious!! Try the curry and you get 7 dishes a real feast for 1.

The best part of my stay at Nor Lanka was the owners' hospitality. Anoma and Helge, made every effort to make me feel at home straight away. They create a very genuine relaxed and friendly atmosphere. I shall definitely be back again. I have recommended this hotel to my friends and work colleagues.

THANK YOU! From Kerry

• Liked — The owners
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
ireland
Reviewed 16 January 2009

A charming hotel cum guest house. Fantastic value for money.Modern,simple but well appointed in immaculately-kept grounds. Owned and run by Helge (Norwegian) and Anome (Sri Lankan) who could not be more helpful and welcoming. Fantastic location- only 3 minutes from the most beautiful beach at Unawatuna and 5 kms from Galle. A real gem! Don't miss it if you are in Sri Lanka

• Liked — friendly, clean, great location
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 7 January 2009

We had such a wonderful stay at the Nor Lanka. I have travelled all over the world and have never had such a warm and friendly welcome. We were made to feel like part of the family. Helge and Anoma are wonderful hosts. The hotel is very new, so everything works and it is spotlessly clean. The rooms are basic but nice. The food is one of the biggest plus points. It is amazing and very well priced. We only ate outside the hotel a couple of times, but always came back as it was better at the Nor Lanka. We enjoyed a huge feast of Prawn curry, fish curry, dhal, potato curry, aubergine salad, rice, roti, poppadoms and curd - for less that $10 per person! Anoma's brother Lal is an excellent guide and will take you anywhere in his tuktuk. The gardens at the hotel are lovely and there are various birds and monkeys to be seen. We were very sad to have to leave.

• Stayed January 2009
1 Thank 00_traveller_00
Edinburgh
Reviewed 9 December 2008

I can only reiterate what the other reviewers have written about the Nor Lanka Hotel. The most gracious hosts, the friendliest of staff, really comfortable rooms where everything works and are spotlessly clean, nice food (unfortunately only sampled the breakfasts), beautiful and very peaceful gardens, safe and secure, minutes from the beach, pool access (at the hotel next door, for a nominal fee) .... all at a very reasonable cost! What more could you want?! I would not hesitate to recommend this place to anyone looking for a nice place to stay in Unawatuna. I hope to return one day soon!

• Liked — The comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — n/a