“Nice staff, but not as advertised...”

Convenient Grand Hotel
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Bang Phli
Yelm, Washington
“Nice staff, but not as advertised...”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This hotel was very inexpensive, and seemed online to be a nice, clean, simple hotel with wifi, close to the airport. It is clean, and the staff were as helpful as they could be under the circumstances. However, as another reviewer stated, it is very old, shabby and dark, in a shady area, and difficult to get to. Most taxi drivers have no idea where it is, even if you give them the address. When I walked in, a sign informed me that the internet was down, and when I asked about it, they said that the internet lines are not very good in that area. So apparently it is a common issue. And as someone else said, the beds are INCREDIBLY hard. Like box springs. When I got to my room, I had a balcony, which was nice, but the sliding door would not stay locked. While I was on the seventh floor, so someone coming in wasn't SO likely, I still felt very insecure leaving my belongings there. There was a safe, but the door was shut, so I couldn't use it. There was no shower curtain or surround, so the shower would have just sprayed right out on the floor, if I'd used it. Also, it's the kind of place where you have to put your key card in a slot to turn on the lights and A/C, so whenever you leave, the A/C goes off, and your room is hot and muggy when you come back.

I really needed to use the internet and get a good night's sleep, so I decided to change to a different hotel. To their credit, the front desk staff were polite and helpful, especially NJ, who allowed me to use their mobile phone to change my tour pickup for the next morning (you cannot make local calls on the phones in the rooms). They called me a taxi twice, and NJ even wrote the name and address of my new hotel in Thai for the taxi driver. I was tired and irritable, and was less than gracious myself, so I have to give them credit for keeping their composure.

With more reliable internet and different mattresses, this might be a good budget hotel. As it is, though, I couldn't even stay there one night.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 567eileenm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Thai first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 November 2013

It is a cheap and clean option for a rest between flights. Airport transfer was good.
Difficulty booking: I booked off the hotel website and yet they did not have my booking when we arrived. Our friend had booked through booking.com and that booking was received.
Breakfast buffet was fine. Beds very hard. No tea/coffee facilities in room.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This hotel is neither convenient nor grand.

It is a grubby operation 25 minutes drive in a remote village by the airport.
Yes - as the crow flies - it is close. But it is in a difficult area where one feels unsafe
Staff just laughed when confronted with false advertising. Don't stay here!

Room Tip: None. Don't stay here
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank alikan
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

Convenient Grand is just like the hotel name, it's very convenient if your traveling from Suvarnabhumi Airport (Bangkok). They provide a hotel shuttle to the airport. The room was very clean, staff were very helpful and accomodating. I would stay again in the future

• Stayed September 2013
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

Close to the airport, very reasonable rate included airport transfer and breakfast. Pretty pool area and great Thai massage at spa, 24hrs! They accommodated our large group for meals, have a couple computers for use (low cost) and the rooms are spacious and clean. Not too far by taxi to train to get to Chatuchuk outdoor market. We were impressed when we were leaving to get to airport for 630am before the restaurant opened, they sent us with breakfast sandwiches and juice packed in a container.

• Stayed April 2013
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Very nice hotel, close to the airport and included free pick up.

Rooms very freshly decorated and clean, bit of an ant problem - but I am sure there are worst things to see in Thailand.

Lovely pool - good food from room service

Friendly receptionist, but English not very strong.

Breakfast ok but not great.

Overall I think there are probably better located accommodations and a cheaper price too.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2013

When we arrived at the hotel late in the evening, we were greeted by friendly staff and checked in quickly. Upon arriving to our room, we immediately pulled back the sheets to check for bed bugs, something we routinely do at every hotel we check into.
To our dismay, there were bugs crawling around under the padding and sheets directly on the mattress.
The staff were understanding of our complaints and offered new rooms, which we declined, and we checked out shortly therethereafter.

• Stayed August 2013
#3 of 8 in Bang Phli
The Phoenix Hotel Bangkok
The Phoenix Hotel Bangkok
#295 of 863 in Bangkok

Been to Convenient Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!