“The inconvenient grand hotel”

Convenient Grand Hotel
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Bang Phli
Penrith, United Kingdom
“The inconvenient grand hotel”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

This is by no means a four star hotel! Litter surrounds the decaying swimming pool and the staff unhelpful. Lady on reception refused continuously to print off our flight boarding pass for us, claiming her boss (who didn't show up) was the only person capable of accessing the emails... Not ideal for peace of mind the night before a long flight.

On the upside, the food was quite good and not too bad price wise, however the place can only call itself convenient in an entirely ironic fashion.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jamie L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Thai first
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Service is poor beyond belief. Staff spend time watching TV in the restaurant and you can't print anything off (such as a boarding ppass, which at an airport hotel is beyond belief) without the manager being there. It seems extremely quiet and it's no surprise. Moreover, upon arrival we were given the key to an already occupied room... makes you worry as to your own security.

Hotel itself is not of 4 star standard. TV wouldn't look out of place on Only Fools and Horses. Food a rare highlight, to use the term lightly.

Don't stay here. I'd rather have slept outside under some tarporlin.

Room Tip: Avoid all rooms.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank JP_Jonc
Ontario Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2014

What a mistake! Never again!! It's gone downhill in every aspect!!! We'd stayed here 2 years ago, and decided to book again in advance for our 2 overnight lay-overs in Bangkok.
a) It used to be nice & quiet... Now they cater to large bus groups of Chinese, who (on both our stays, were loud, obnoxious, and inconsiderate of the other guests in the hotel.
b) The hotel used to have free shuttle service to & from the airport. Now they charge for pick-up from the airport. Even though we didn't need to use the shuttle to go to the airport, they still charged us for coming FROM the airport.
c) Be prepared to be 'nickel and dime'-d to death. There is an extra charge for just about everything. There is a ridiculous hourly charge if you want late check-out. They have an inflated exchange rate for Thai Baht, and there is nowhere nearby to get exchange, so you are at their mercy. Their snack bar charges outrageous prices. The restaurant food is acceptable, but the price for alcoholic beverages is absurd.
d) There was NO wifi or internet service. They said the wifi was 'down temporarily' but they had a permanent sign on the front desk that looked like it had been there for a LONG time. Made me wonder if they just didn't pay their bill. I kept getting conflicting stories from different staff members. I dislike being lied to, and that's what I felt they were doing.
e) The hallways are not air-conditioned and have a dank, musty odour, like mold or mildew.
f) The front lobby was over-run by a hoard of Chinese tourists, so we tried to find another place to wait for our shuttle. The other two lobbies were dark and not air-conditioned. When we asked them to turn on the air-conditioning in the far lobby, such a horrible smell came from the unit, we thought something had crawled up inside and died. The middle lobby had only 3 out of 8 pot-lights lit up. We had to ask three times to have the lights turned on. When we went to the restaurant for some dinner, they turned the lights off again. Makes me wonder if this hotel is having trouble paying their bills???

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dodieg
Zaragoza, Spain
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I stayed here to be relatively close to the airport the day before I had to arrive. I would have preferred staying in the city center than going here. It is quite a remote area, and still a 15-20 minute drive to the airport. Only option for dining is at the hotel restaurant, as even food delivery is impossible to the hotel (that is how remote it was). Would not even say its good value, as the hotel was a bit dirty (quick clean room feeling....no carpet and not even shower curtain...makes in hard to shower), and not as conveniently near to the airport.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Penn I
Maidstone
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here just for a few hours to get some rest before flying out of Bangkok.

It's in a very quiet area, no shops or bars near. Not that we would have ventured out at 1am in that area. There is a very basic shop at reception but be prepared to pay 3 times the prices you'd pay elsewhere! 150 baht for a 50 baht beer!

The hotel was only 15 minutes from the airport which was great. But this was in the early hours with no traffic.

Now for the bad bits. The hotel is shabby and dated and doesn't feel entirely clean. There was a foul smell of sewage in the hallway outside our room which was fairly unpleasant. There was a tray of food on the floor in the hall when we arrived which was still there when we left, despite being walked past by several staff. Our alarm call came an hour early which was upsetting as we only had a few hours sleep. I explained this to the reception but he just hung up on me and didn't bother to call back an hour later. Good job we set alarms. The most baffling thing I found was the huge window from the bedroom into the bathroom! While my husband and I are close there are some things we'd rather keep private!

There were a huge number of Mosquitos outside the hotel and I was covered in bites just from a few minutes outside. I managed to go the entirety of my holiday bite free but this place was infested!

Lastly, when we were waiting outside to leave at 5am someone urinated out of an upstairs window onto the patio area.

We paid less than £10 each for this place so I suppose it's to be expected. I wish I'd read the reviews before I booked though rather than reading them while sitting on the bed of the hotel wondering what I'd done. We slept in our clothes on top of the sheet as I was too scared to look at the sheets!

Never again!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DanKatMaidstone
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 27 January 2014

- Far from city. (Great if you don't wanna hear airplane noise but if you need public transportation, you've got problems)
- Bad car park ever (but good staff to help you to park, especially if you have pick-up, you may have parking problems)
- If you book with the "walk-in" price, you may need to find other hotels.
- Staff looks a little bit cold, anyway if you need help, they help you.
- Room size is ok, but dirty. (6th floor; 26.1.2014 checked-in)
- A/C with mold and smelly!!!
- Not so noisy (We slept next to maid room we had troubled in another hotel with the guests who checked in at night around 2 o'clock talking like fighting so for this hotel we begged to get the room in the most silent floor just to sleep so it's not so noisy.)
- Mini mart at the first floor; in case if you're hungry (yep, if you don't have car, you need to check it)

Room Tip: Better find other choices.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank NARUEMOL P
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We had no expectations as we came to this hotel. It seemed to locate in the middle of nowhere as the taxidriver tried to find this place in the evening.

Personnel at the hotel spoke English pretty well and our "suite" - it seems families with children need to have a suite always to fit into the room - was pleasant. Bathroom was enough for one night, you got hot water in the shower.

There was some noise in the hallway during the night, so I used earplugs.

Restaurant was good enough to have a dinner and breakfast. Next morning we continued our trip and the taxi, which the hotel arranged, came at time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
#3 of 5 in Racha Thewa
The Phoenix Hotel Bangkok
The Phoenix Hotel Bangkok
#286 of 858 in Bangkok

Been to Convenient Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!