“Very good experience”

H&B Lodge and Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 6 Tambor B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My family were recently in Tambor and we ate dinner at H&B. We had an outstanding meal and our server was over the top great. You shoul dnot miss this experience. The shrimp was great and so was the other meals my family ordered.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

I have been coming here every few months as I am passing by for the last half dozen years. Two brothers - Fernando and Carlos - are the owners and run the place. Fernando is a genius the kitchen. Lobster? Incredible! Seafood pasta? Beyond belief! In Costa Rica, the only food that usually is to be avoided is the steak - tough and somewhat flavourless. HERE - makes me want to think about passing on the seafood - almost!

The prices are somewhat higher than those in more strictly Costa Rican restaurants - but the food is more than worth it. The service is always splendid.

In a few words: if in Tambor, it is one of the 2 restaurants that should not be missed.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Yoda3010
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Cabinas y Restaurante H&B. Our room had 1 queen and 1 king bed, both were comfortable. The room was clean and quite basic with an air conditioning unit and ensuite bath with hot-water-on-demand. We spent 2 nights at this hotel as we were enroute to our surf camp destination in Montezuma but wanted to see Curu wildlife reserve as well. The food served in the hotel's restaurant was delicious. What really makes this hotel is the lovely people who run it. The staff are all so kind and helpful!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 830VickiW
Reviewed 3 March 2013

This was our second vacation to Costa Rica and our second time staying at Cabinas y Retaurante H&B. If you are are a price conscious traveler then you will get so much more value then you would ever imagine from this wonderful Cabina and Restaurant. The rooms are overtop of the restaurant which open both to a street view veranda as well as a back garden view. Not only are the rooms large, spotless and comfortable the restaurant is amazing. The full breakfast which comes with the room is hearty and delicious. During our 7 day stay we had an opportunity to order many items from the menu and each was not only delicious but beautifully presented. Fernandos is a wonderful chef. As well wonderful rooms and restaurant the location is central and the back garden area joins on a wonderful birding trail that extends along the Panica River. Carlos and Jeimy are wonderful hosts and I am sure you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deborah H
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I am a business traveler and someone recommended this place because of the good price. This place provided what I needed. In the plus side: the wi-fi signal was super strong in my room, the rooms are super clean and air conditioned, TV has cable, service is cordial, the food is very good and the price is excellent.
On negative side: I travel with expensive equipment and was not very happy to see that the door room is a common door knob with key, I think the anyone with enough skill could get in to the room. The owner told me they've never had burglaries, but still, I did not feel super safe. The room I stayed in does not have a desk, so I worked in my computer on the bed, sometimes a little tiresome, It does not have a pool and is like 1K from the nearest beach... not that I care, but if you are on vacation you should know this.
Beside this, I would definitely recommend this place!

Room Tip: The rooms that are closest to the entrance stairs are the closest to the wi-fi signal.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Marxalenina
Reviewed 6 July 2011

My brother and I were looking for a place to stay for the night around/about Tambor, and happened upon this small motor hotel and restaurant at a turn in the road, just about dark. After securing our room, which was clean and well appointed, we went down to the restaurant, and were blown away with the level of service, excellence of the chosen menu items, and the reasonableness of the tab. The two brothers who own/operate this sweet little establishment have the hotel and restaurant operations each in their specialty and do very well indeed.
Dinner was remarkable for the quality of the food and its' preparation and presentation. . . the flan with (fresh) raspberry sauce was heavenly and both fish dishes were exactly perfect (they could not have been better in N.Y. or L.A. for instance) due to the chef's training for bro #2, and the tab for dinner with wine and dessert (for we two) was 31 bucks U.S. Breakfast was also memorably remarkable for its freshness and presentation.
Don't pass by this unassuming but special spot!

D. Hayes, Wash. D.C.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2010

We happened upon H & B Cabinas by chance on the evening of March 13, 2010. There were 4 of us - 2 couples and it was starting to get dark when we passed by this place so we turned around and went in to check it out. What a pleasant surprise. Not only was the price very resonable but the rooms were an adequate size and clean. There were 2 large beds, a bathroom with a shower, a TV and a deck both out front and back. The cabina had a restaurant below so we headed down for a late dinner. The staff was very attentive and friendly and the food was prepared excellantly. It was also presented in such a manner that I had to comment on it. Breakfast (which was included in the room price) was also presented in a beautiful manner. It turns out this cabina is family run by 2 brothers. If they continue running the place in this manner, they should do very well. We would highly recommend this place if you are ever in Tambor.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tambor
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas
Fidelito Ranch & Lodge
Hotel Casacolores
Hotel Casacolores
#2 of 15 in Montezuma

Been to H&B Lodge and Restaurant? Share your experiences!