“Open Water Certification”
Review of Dive Academy Ballena Blanca - CLOSED

Dive Academy Ballena Blanca
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a PADI Resort, fully equipped with brand new Mares equipment. We offer dives, discovery scuba diving and a lot of specialized diving courses all around the Peninsula of Nicoya, including the stunning ambiance of Isla Tortuga and two wrecks from the Coast Guard. Our 2 dive boats are spacious Apex 26' with room for 12 people on each and easy access. Both are equipped with radio, gps, fish finder and full set of safety equipment.We offer more than Diving, Fishing and adventure tours around the Nicoya Peninsula. We have experienced and qualified local guides who will make sure you have a day to remember.
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I recently took the Padi Open Water Certification with them, being from Costa Rica I had a couple different options to choose from and after contacting all of them I chose this one.
I couldn’t be happier with my decision, Steve is an amazing instructor very professional and with a lot of experience. I was a little nervous at the beginning, but it took no time for him to make me feel secure and enjoy the amazing experience of diving.
Also, everything from the boat to the diving equipment is in perfect conditions.
I will definitely go back for any further certification.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

In April I started my Open Water certification here in California. I did my classroom and pool here and then finished my open water in Costa Rica with Steve at Dive Acadamy. Steve, his wife and his staff were AMAZING! I was lucky that we went during a slower time cause I literally got one on one instruction. Steve was helpful and showed/taught me many things. I got 4 dives in and am now open water certified . However the under water sights were not that great due to strong underwater currents. That obviously was not any fault of Steve's. If you're looking to get certified or if you are already certified.. Steve and Dive Academy are amazing and your go to in Tambor/Mal Pais.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I went diving with the Ballena Blanca Dive Academy hoping to see some cool marine life, never did I expect to get up close and personal with not one, but five Giant Manta rays! It had always been my dream to swim with such creatures, and it was amazing to watch their massive 6 meter wingspan as they glided over top us. We also saw lots of fish, moray eels, spotted eagle rays, devil rays and a hawksbill sea turtle. I was impressed with their professionalism and the quality and care of the dive gear. All things that you want to look for in a good diving company.

I had a small camera that the owner let me use and I got some pretty cool shots. I am excited to get back in the water with this crew and would suggest this experience to any divers staying in the area. They also do snorkeling tours for those who are not certified. For those who are looking to get certified I would certainly suggest the Ballena Blanca Dive Academy and I plan on doing my advanced Scuba course with them.

Awesome experience, great people, thanks a lot!

1  Thank Nick H
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Feel so lucky to have found Steve and Geraldine, If you're reading this, then your smarter than I am, as I should have started here first, (trip advisor). Steve and his wife have a great location at the Club de Golf Delphines, (around the back of the building facing the golf course) easy access and parking. Their dive shop is first rate and the equipment they carry for divers and snorkelers looked 1st rate. I dragged my dive bag all the way from Vegas, if I had known he had such good equipment, all I would have brought was my favourite mask, dive booties and fins.

My wife went on the snorkel part, (45 mins around Isla Tortuga) with a group of 7, while Steve and his crew took me for my 1st dive in 5 years,(not much diving in Northern Alberta Canada)..good dive and the area is full of marine life…and not one piece of trash anywhere. Sea turtles, rock fish, various schools of fish and interesting lava formations abound.

For our second dive we headed out to the "Backside" of Isla Tortuga for our deep dive… and man o man what an experience, Giant Manta Rays, sea anemones, blue and white fan coral..tremendous dive. To top it all off, Steve and I got the once in a lifetime experience of "rescuing" a Giant Manta Ray from netting and rope…cutting her loose down at 50'… wow!

Steve films most of the dives and edits and posts them, be sure to check those out..btw, everything is included in your purchase, food, cookies, chilled melon, water, transportation, equipment...

Finished the day with lunch on Isla Tortuga, tasty tasty…

All in all, you can't make a mistake with these two, great crew that works with them, excellent equipment, (boats, people mover vans, etc) and their shop just sparkles. Pacific peninsula diving at its best!!~

Steve B, Owner at Dive Academy Ballena Blanca, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Thanks for the review.. It was a great days diving and an experience that does not come along too often..

Reviewed 31 January 2014

Diving with these folks is not only fun its perfectly safe, equipment is all high end and very well maintained, boat and car transport is excellent, good food and soft drinks including self made lemonade, however coffee, sparkling water and some salty snacks would be great.
The couple is very friendly and on does all the wash and drying of the your gear.
Highly knowledgeable on diving technology.
Great place!