“Incredible Place! Beautiful area.”

Tambor Tropical Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Tambor
Reviewed 24 January 2012

This place was an oasis! The grounds are beautiful and it's 100 yards from the beach. The food and service was excellent. And the rooms are to die for. A little rustic in beautifully built and maintained solid wood structures. Ours has a great balcony overlooking the pool and beach. Beds were comfortable and it felt like we were in a tree house. Great management, they went above and beyond the call of duty. I highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank cbpeck2000

Reviewed 26 December 2011

Tambor Tropical was heaven on earth. The rooms are big, clean, comfortable and fully equipped with kitchens and living space. The restaurant was exellent and the staff incredible. It was peaceful, serene and authentic. Quiet, clean and beautiful. We highly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Margaret H
Reviewed 30 November 2011

My husband and I travelled to Costa Rica with no plan and no reservation, we rented a car in San Jose and started driving , we ended up taking the Ferry to the Nicola Penninsula and started driving later that night we drove in the dark and ended up spotting a sign that said Tambor Tropical , as we drove into the property we soon realized that we found a very beautiful spot, we were on the the top floor very very clean, shiny beautiful custom wood every where, the service was above and beyond what we expected and the food was fantastic!Very quiet and very relaxing! We would love to go back!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kaely b
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I thought of this trip as one of the most exciting adventures I have ever had.
My girlfriend and I went there for a week,and were so impressed,I had to write a review.

When you land in Costa Rica,you then get on a small plane for a 20 min ride,
then land at a private air strip.What a ride.

Costa Rica is one of the most beautiful countries in the world.The local flowers,wild life,and people are something you should experience.

The hotel is quite large,and there were Iguanas running around everywhere.Our room was great with a nice patio.The flowers and birds are everywhere and so beautiful.Every morning a troup of Monkeys would come by to say good morning.

The buffet was so large and had specials every day,plus a pasta station.The local fruit and veggies are so fresh and tasty.The steak house was world class.
On Valentines day they had a wonderful dinner laid out,and every woman got a Rose.What a nice touch,sometimes its the little things.

The pool area is great,and the beach was so long,sometimes we were the only people on it,so one day we walked for about two miles to a little town(Tambor).Along the way there were some beautiful houses and small resorts to stop for a beer,or a dip in the pool.

We went Zip lining,and did a tour on 4 wheelers,and both were a blast.Plus we would take the local bus into Montazuma to site see and shop.

All in all one beautiful place,great food,and nothing but good times.So far one of my favourite places in the world.Very safe and secure,Anyone who has concerns,or questions,just contact me,and safe traveling.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RichandKim
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I just got back from 5 days at Tambor Tropical and I will never forget the great experience I had. You wake in the morning to a beautiful sunrise, enjoy poolside breakfast. Every day I was out and about, around Tambor, there is so much to do!

If you’re into adventures the resort staff will point you in the right direction. I went zip lining, toured Los Delfines (great place to take in local wildlife), and did so much more... You can’t miss out on the locals, they’re GREAT.

When I made it back to the resort I enjoyed a yummy plate of shrimp nachos with an ice cold beer. :) You can’t go wrong with any of their food, it’s fresh and local, so good. I even toured the on-site organic herb garden, what a great idea.

If you enjoy a small scale, kid free, relaxing resort ,this is FOR YOU!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 May 2011

My husband and I took the ferry over from Jaco after staying a week in a timeshare & stayed at Tambor Tropical for just the weekend. Wonderful service while checking in--even met the Manager of the property. Since we didn't have a lot of time, we wanted to book activites as soon as we got there & they accommodated us nicely. Horseback riding wasn't available at such short notice, but I did schedule a massage for that very same day (really reccommend, she was excellent) and we did the ziplining tour to Montazuma (they were professional and it was just ok, I had ziplined in Kaui and it was actually better there).
The resort looks just like the pictues and everything is well taken care of and clean. You can see that they put a lot of effort into the property. The fresh flowers on the outdoor tables and in the room really add to the property. The room was very nice, the only improvement I might suggest is to update the bedding. Sheets were clean and soft and the bed was comfortable. It's just that the bed is such a focal point when you walk in, that if the comforter was just a little bit nicer, I think it would just be perfection!
We booked a room with air conditioner on the second floor and needed the air when we first checked in and that first night. The next night was cool, so we opened the windows and had the air off. Loved hearing the ocean and the fans did a great job cooling it off as well.
We ate several times at the resteraunt and the food was always good. Fish sandwich, fish tacos, steaks and chicken fingers were excellent. We were disappointed to hear that the Italian place from previous reviews and guidebooks is no longer there and has moved to San Jose.
The three course continental breakfast as others have mentioned is certainly a highlight and an extra. One of the best things about staying there.
I also want to mention that this resort is very close to the Curu National Wildlife Refuge. This place is certainly worth a visit and the only place that we saw monkeys in Costa Rica and that includes a trip to Manuel Antonio.
Tambor Tropical is very remote, if well traveled or if staying in busier Jaco beforehand, you might get bored quick. However, if you are looking for relaxation and peace and quite, this place is for you!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2011

I got married at Tambor Tropical in 2010 and my wife and I decided to return for our anniversary.

Our second stay here was just as good if not better than the first.

The rooms have been updated with windows and air con - but that does not in anyway distract from the beauty and uniqueness of the pods.

The pool and beach (on the door step) are amazing and the food from the bar is great.

We will return again one day ...

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tambor
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas
1 mi away
Barcelo Tambor
Barcelo Tambor
#2 of 6 in Tambor

Been to Tambor Tropical Beach Resort? Share your experiences!