“Very nice place to stay, friendly people ,good breakfast”

Monteverde Villa Lodge
Ranked #2 of 15 Santa Elena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 April 2011

We have stayed 2 nights at Monteverde Villa Lodge, travelling with a 16 month old infant. The rooms are very big and clean. We had a fridge and a sink in the room that helped us to keep the infant food and clean the bottles. The owner also supplied us with a micro wave to be able to warm up the our kids milk, this was a very much appreciated service.
We had a TV in the room and we could even get German TV (Deutsche Welle) which was great for us German living in the US.
The people are very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was great.
The garden area could be improved to have a nice place to sit outside.
I would definitly recommend this hotel for all kind of travellers.

Room Tip: Last room at end of the garden is very big.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 April 2011

The room was cozy and clean and the location convenient. The hosts are wonderful and extremely helpful. They even made a birthday cake for my now four year old!! We hope to be back again soon.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank camtravel
Reviewed 1 April 2011

Situated on the edge of the little town Santa Elena, only 10 minutes walking from the center, this place is an ideal stop to explore the environment. The cabins are very spacious. Heiner and Ana are very nice people who make you feel at home. They will give you good information about the tours and book them for you if you like. The breakfast is also very good.

1  Thank Naatje67
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I cannot tell you how much the owners were so nice to us. Thank you again Ana and Heiner. These cabins are a little bit out of the center of Santa Elena, its better to have a car but I can recommend that place. The owners were so nice, since we were leaving early in the morning, Ana gave me a coffee machine to put in the room and after helping me with a problem I had with my credit card, I was on internet for about 1 hour she came back and gave me some fruits, so that we had something to eat before we left for our next stop. I had told her that we would be probably leaving at 6:00 in the morning so she prepared a nice plate for us. The room was very comfortable and very clean, and again just meeting them was so nice. Thank you again to Ana for everything.

Reviewed 17 March 2011

My boyfriend and I stumbled upon Villas Lodge when we arrived in Monteverde after trying to get in to Hotel Arcoiris, and we were VERY happy with what we found there!

This family run, quaint 8-room lodge is run by a kind, hospitable couple who were very helpful to us throughout our whole stay in Santa Elena/Monteverde. The location of the lodge is very nice, it's just about a 5-7 minute walk from the center of Santa Elena, where there are endless dining options/a few markets along the way. My boyfriend and I like being a little bit away from the center of all of the hustle and bustle of tourist-land, which is all around Santa Elena, where there are a vast amount of hip Backpacker hostels that boast the worlds "sickest" ziplines, so it was nice to be a little bit away from that. :)

The first night we stayed in the double room, where they discounted the price if we paid in efectivo (in real, hard cash), and we ended up paying $50 for an extremely spacious room with a fridge, bathroom, hot water, comfy beds, and cozy setting. We slept great in that room as well!

The next night we stayed in one of their cheaper rooms, that was still very nice, for $30. That night was one of the windiest nights I've ever experienced, and it was definitely really loud in the room, but there wasn't much the hotel had to blame for that. I'd say if you want a quieter room, then stay in the $50 room, it's way worth it.

They provide a tasty breakfast every morning, which includes delicious fresh fruits, your choice of tea,coffee, or juice, and then choice of eggs, toast, or desayuno tipico.

They also called us a colectivo in the morning to get us a ride to the Santa Elena Reserve, which was $2 each, rather than a $20 cab ride. They are such kind hosts, and the rooms are very well-kept.

I highly recommend this lodge, and would definitely go back to stay there once we are back in Santa Elena!

Reviewed 6 March 2011

I would highly recommend Monteverde Villa Lodge.

Heiner and his wife are gracious and attentive hosts who bend over backward to make your stay enjoyable. The lodge has rustic ambiance and you feel like you're surrounded by nature. During our stay, we stayed in a cabana the first night and switched to an economy room the second night as the cabana was taken. I would definitely recommend the cabana even though it’s more expensive, as it has more room. The lodge is in a good location and anyways all of our tours picked us up by car. Heiner was helpful in giving advice for choosing which activities to do and arranging all our pick ups. We had specific dietary needs, which he accommodated the best he could, allowing us to store food in his fridge and freezer and have access to it during the day time hours. (Note: The cabana had its own fridge/freezer). Also a plus is that the lodge has a computer with internet access that you can use during day time hours (till 9pm).

But what really impressed me was the help that Heiner gave us when we realized that we had accidentally made a mistake in our hotel bookings and didn't have a hotel for the following night. Heiner sat with us for over an hour as we looked up hotels and he made phone calls on our behalf. This is personal attention even my own mother would not have done!

The only negative was the second day we did not have hot water. When I mentioned it to Heiner, he was up at our room right away to check on the situation and do his best to remedy it. I have no doubt that had we told Heiner earlier (instead of an hour before checkout), the situation would have been taken care of.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Chanybean
Reviewed 3 March 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed 2 nights at Monteverde Villa Lodge. Ana and Heiner are amazing guests!!! They showed us things (attractions/restaurants) to do in the area, prepared really good breakfast (try the typical!), gave us appetizers when we were on Internet, provided us with driving directions to Bijagua when we were leaving the last day, everything was perfect!!!

If you want to enjoy Santa-Elena, it is also only 10 minutes of walk from the downtown and from the supermarket. If you go in Monteverde, my advice is to stay there 2-3 days because there are a lot of things to do... the Monteverde Reserva is one of our favorite spots in our trip...don't miss it and bring long sleeves and pants, it is always windy!

Thank you very much to Ana and Heiner for making our stay a perfect moment!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Hotel El Bosque
#8 of 20 in Monteverde
Hotel Cipreses Monteverde Costa Rica
Camino Verde Bed & Breakfast Monteverde

Been to Monteverde Villa Lodge? Share your experiences!