“The best place to stay in Santa Elena!”
Review of Hotel El Tucan

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Elena
Hotel El Tucan
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Santa Elena
Reviewed 21 October 2012

When my wife and I arrived to Santa Elena (Monteverde), We knew about sereval hostels, especiaaly about the ones recommended at the lonley planet, but when we met Tony, the wonderful owner of El Tucan, I knew that we should defenitely stay at his place. Besides the fact that the rooms was great (and was very valuable), Tony and his staff members were so professional, giving recommendations and fit you specifically the the type of tours and attractions as you ask. Other than that, you simply get the feeling (and it's a true feeling) that he'll do everything to help you find the best deals not only in Monteverde, but even in very far places in Costa Rica - He'll make phone calls and do everything to make sure that you get the best prices (and after checking it - it is excactly like that). Thank you very much! YOU'RE NO. 1!

Room Tip: Don't be shy - simply ask Tony and he'll give you all the information with a big smile
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel El Tucan

Reviewed 28 August 2012

We stayed here for two nights and the place was fine. There wasn't anything special about it but there were clean rooms and a big kitchen. They provide breakfast in the mornings that you cook yourself. The owner, Tony, greeted us right off of the bus in Santa Elena and promised better prices and bigger rooms than Pension Santa Elena across the street. He said he had a "room for $10" which sounded too good to be true and it turned out to be $10 per person, only $5 cheaper than the other hostel. The shower provided mostly hot water and the staff at the front desk was helpful. The hostel is centrally located so it got really noisy with street traffic at night and in the mornings. The town itself is pretty small so don't be afraid to look around for other places.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2012

I arrived in Monteverde and after checking out several hostels, my friends and I decided El Tucan was the place for us. The owner was very friendly and the hostel's staff incredibly helpful when it came to tours and bus schedules.
Our room was clean, the beds very comfortable, ample blankets were provided due to the cold weather, and best of all, the bathroom was near spotless. The kitchen was clean and properly stocked with any utensil, pan or pot you might need.
The only thing I did not like was that the walls were very thin, and you could hear people talking downstairs and in the adjacent rooms. However, at exactly 10pm, everything quieted down and I got a wonderful sleep. The hospitality of the staff and owner, the cleanliness of the hostel and the quality of the beds and general upkeep of the hostel by far made up for the bit of noise.
I highly recommend this hostel and if I ever make a trip back to Monteverde, I will for sure be staying at El Tucan.
Thanks for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We loved this hostel!!! We were immediately greeted by the owner, and offered a fair price. We saw that the rooms were clean and well taken care of. The hostel is located in a great area, central to everything in Santa Elena/Monteverde. There are many places to sit and relax, and the kitchen is open for everyone to use. The staff is fantastic, and they offer information on all tours offered in the area. They can book everything for you, but do not pressure you into taking any tours. They are often available for questions and they are so easy to talk to and have great conversations with!!! We loved the atmosphere!!!

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is not on one of the outer walls. The motorcycles can be noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Terrible experience at this hotel!!! Thin wooden walls through you hear all the guests talking in their rooms and loud noise from the television at the communal room which is located underneath the rooms.
Furthermore,I was locked outside my room (trying to go to the bathroom) when reception was closed and there was no phone and no number to reach the owner.Finally,with the police help,I located the Guy who shouted at me on the phone and only the policeman persuaded him to come!
The owner is very aggressive -be aware of the fact and stay somewhere else.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank urga41
Royner L, Director of Sales at Hotel El Tucan, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

It is very easy to write a bad review of a hostel when you are the customer, but why you don't has explained to the visitors that you was drinking alcohol and drugs into your room and then you was crying and making lot of noise touching the other customers doors? The other people from the hostel called the owner at midnight to notify him that you were disturbing at night, and then the police came and took you out of our hostel because you were very drunk. We always want to keep our customer in a very safe area and we are not going to tolerate any people trying to disturb the other customers at the hotel. The police in this case was the in charge to fix this problem and this normally never happens. Your bad feedback is affecting the other readers to think about what you wrote, so I hope Trip Advisor will be able to delete your message and penalize you for writing things that are not true.

Reviewed 31 May 2012

The staff at El Tucan is great! They will help you organise all your activities at good prices. The rooms are clean, the kitchen is very functional and the prices are very affordable with breakfast included (eggs, toasts and fruits).
The owner (who speaks a very good english) is always around to help if you ever need enything.
We did the bungee and canopy which is definitely worth the stop in Monteverde.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I was quite disappointed by this hostel/hotel...I had stayed in many in Central America..Nicaragua and Costa Rica and this was by far the worst one as far as partying and loudness. Apparently the owner leaves the hotel, which isint supposed to happen for security there must always be someone there. He goes home at 9-10pm everynight and he locks the lobby, kitchen and computer room, there was loud partying till 4am and beside my room these people were smoking and talking loud till 4am and then I went out of my room and told them that I wanted to sleep. There was NO security and no rules had to be followed because the owner was not there. And everynight he closes the downstairs area. It was a clean place but I have to say the worst hostel I have stayed in in Central America....won't go back!

Room Tip: Don't choose the room on the corner, there's a bench there that people sit on and talk all n...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Los Pinos - Cabanas y Jardines
Cala Lodge
Cala Lodge
#4 of 20 in Monteverde

Been to Hotel El Tucan? Share your experiences!