“Dishonest Hostel” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel El Tucan

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Elena
Hotel El Tucan
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Santa Elena
“Dishonest Hostel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012

Hostel El Tucan

Tony, the owner, is a fast talking salesman who is not above recommending substandard tours and over charging for services. He highly recommended a morning wildlife tour for $30.00 per person that turned out to be nothing more than walking around the local residential area in the rain looking at birds in people's front yards. The tour was poorly planned to say the least. Tony also charged us $22.00 per person and $20.00 per person for three other residents for "jeep, boat, jeep" transportation to La Fortuna. It was not until we reached La Fortuna that we found out the correct price was 12.50 per person. Besides Tony,s dishonesty the hostel is noisy and the showers below average. I do not recommend staying at this hostel.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bingman I

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

we wanted to stay there for 3 nights, we did succeed for 1 night, after our mountain trip we went back to the hotel, and the owner told us to leave beause our room was (suddenly) rent to someone else???!!!! We could'nt believe it, but we told the owner, OK give us a other room, there were 4 rooms empty and of course available. No, he said, you have to leave, so, it was not because of our room was given (by accident) to other people but.......because my friend was rasta and black, the owner did not like to have a black Rasta man in his hotel with a white woman. I told him he was a racist, which did give me a lot of support from the american receptionist, who was wortking downstairs, he told me to go to the police, which we did not do, because we wanted to have a nice 3 days in Monteverde. When we entered (our) room to pack our stuff, we noticed that they searched our luggage, we could'nt believe it. Nice racist hotel, only for white people!!!!!!!! it is still excisting in the El Tucan Hotel in Santa Elena.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank johanna t

Travellers are raving about these Santa Elena hotels

Cranbrook, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

I was staying in Monteverde and I was walking by with my girlfriend and struck up a conversation with the owner Toni, he assured me of his hostel is worth a try. We decided to stay a night, clean comfy, nice breakfast, great staff, and a family welcome always. We came back to the el Tucan two more times on separate occassions from travelling back and forth across Costa Rica, We were greeted by Olham(Po Po) at the bus stop with an emberalla because it was rainning. El Tucan and its staff made Monteverde part of the experience of going there. 5 stars in my book.
Steve Landsberger, Canada.

Room Tip: we stayed in three different rooms in our stays there, all good
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Fremantle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2012

My husband & I arrived in Monteverde, we knew we wanted to check out a few hostels in town, when we looked at El Tucan, it was clean, has a kitchen so we could prepare our own, hot water & TV area. Tony bargained with us on price & met our budget.....good place to stay,but owner alittle pushy, they can offer alot of tours, but we walked around to alot of the ones we wanted to do...& they dripped the price for us alittle as well

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

When my wife and I arrived to Santa Elena (Monteverde), We knew about sereval hostels, especiaaly about the ones recommended at the lonley planet, but when we met Tony, the wonderful owner of El Tucan, I knew that we should defenitely stay at his place. Besides the fact that the rooms was great (and was very valuable), Tony and his staff members were so professional, giving recommendations and fit you specifically the the type of tours and attractions as you ask. Other than that, you simply get the feeling (and it's a true feeling) that he'll do everything to help you find the best deals not only in Monteverde, but even in very far places in Costa Rica - He'll make phone calls and do everything to make sure that you get the best prices (and after checking it - it is excactly like that). Thank you very much! YOU'RE NO. 1!

Room Tip: Don't be shy - simply ask Tony and he'll give you all the information with a big smile
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Santa Lucia Cotzumalguapa, Guatemala
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

We stayed here for two nights and the place was fine. There wasn't anything special about it but there were clean rooms and a big kitchen. They provide breakfast in the mornings that you cook yourself. The owner, Tony, greeted us right off of the bus in Santa Elena and promised better prices and bigger rooms than Pension Santa Elena across the street. He said he had a "room for $10" which sounded too good to be true and it turned out to be $10 per person, only $5 cheaper than the other hostel. The shower provided mostly hot water and the staff at the front desk was helpful. The hostel is centrally located so it got really noisy with street traffic at night and in the mornings. The town itself is pretty small so don't be afraid to look around for other places.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

I arrived in Monteverde and after checking out several hostels, my friends and I decided El Tucan was the place for us. The owner was very friendly and the hostel's staff incredibly helpful when it came to tours and bus schedules.
Our room was clean, the beds very comfortable, ample blankets were provided due to the cold weather, and best of all, the bathroom was near spotless. The kitchen was clean and properly stocked with any utensil, pan or pot you might need.
The only thing I did not like was that the walls were very thin, and you could hear people talking downstairs and in the adjacent rooms. However, at exactly 10pm, everything quieted down and I got a wonderful sleep. The hospitality of the staff and owner, the cleanliness of the hostel and the quality of the beds and general upkeep of the hostel by far made up for the bit of noise.
I highly recommend this hostel and if I ever make a trip back to Monteverde, I will for sure be staying at El Tucan.
Thanks for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Hotel Cipreses Monteverde Costa Rica
Monteverde Inn
Monteverde Inn
#5 of 23 in Monteverde

Been to Hotel El Tucan? Share your experiences!