This isn't the biggest hostel in town, but if you want a sweet environment that feels like home, this is the place to go. The owner, Yorle, is supercool—a warm and caring person who treats you like part of the family.
When we stayed at Sloth Backpackers, it was nice, clean, safe, and cool, with nice beds, clean bathrooms, and no bugs—and it's a great deal since it comes with a nice free home-cooked hot breakfast that Yorle cooks herself.
In addition to being a great place to stay, Yorle completely hooked us up with everything we needed in town:
- arranged for us to stay at a beautiful local cabin on the outskirts of town (since we stayed for 2 weeks and wanted our own place)
- arranged a coffee/sugar/chocolate tour, where we learned about the making of coffee, sugar, and chocolate
- gave us good advice on local restaurants (the best ones are Trio, Treehouse, Taco y Taco, and Musashi Sushi)
- arranged for us to go ziplining, which was incredible
And like I said, she just treated us like part of the family:
- on my birthday, she made a home-cooked traditional Costa Rican dinner for me and my friends, which was amazing and delicious
- she took us with her the local bar, Bar Amigos, to watch the big futbol match between Costa Rica and El Salvador with her and her friends and family, a big party which was super fun
- she introduced us to her sisters, brothers, cousins, and father, a lovely local family who were all super nice and warm too
- she even made calls and helped us arrange accommodations in the next town we were going to!
Basically, because of Yorle, we weren't just random tourists. Instead, we felt like we made friends with real people, and got to know a little slice of Costa Rican culture. I've told Yorle she's welcome to visit me in New York anytime. I'm sure you'll feel the same way.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Sloth Backpackers B & B is one the most famous hotels in thegateway to all touristic venues in Santa Elena of Monteverde. Personalattention by Owner YORLEWe are the number one option for backpackers and travelers in Costa Rica.In the Town, without Noise.The Hotel Sloth Backpackers B&B is in the perfect place to stay andrelax after a busy day of activities.Offers clean, Dorms and comfortable rooms, and each room has a private bathroomwith hot water 24 hours & Dorms with Bathrooms, towells, FreeInternet or Wi-fi, kitchen Fully Equipped Free, Free Coffee & Tea all Day.Free breakfast includes:Coffee, tea, pancakes, bread, butter, jam, eggs and fresh fruits.Also, Hotel Sloth Backpackers B & B, offers: laundry services, Office information with the best prices in activities, special for Groups and Students.2 Minutes from the only public bus station,Downtown, only 2 minutes to the bus stations, banks, restaurants, night life, souvenir stores, and supermarkets.If you need me (Yorle) pick you up at the bus station, send an email. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HostelWorld and Priceline so you can book your Hotel Sloth Backpackers Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Sloth Backpackers Bed & Breakfast Monteverde, Costa Rica - Santa Elena