“Stay away for your own sake”

Hotel Sloth Backpackers Bed & Breakfast
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Stay away for your own sake”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I always try to be positive whatever happens. So, when we arrived at the place and the lady told us that the fee was $2 up than the expected, I took a deep breath and payed it. When I saw that the room was too small for us, I took another deep breath and coped with it. But, at some point, the annoying things were so many that I ended up freaking in anger before the day was over.

I'm amazed by all the good reviews because our experience was quite different. After thinking for a while, I found the reason. If you're a foreigner and you book tours, you'll get the best service. But if you plan the trip on your own and have the plus of being costarican, be prepared to have the worst service of your life.

The owner was very rude to us. She didn't give us the free breakfast (and expected us to pay $4 extra for it) alleging that it wasn't included in the private bedroom fee (which we didn't asked). She kept speaking loudly right in front of our bedroom until 11:30 pm (what is curfew?). She even told me through the phone that she threw away some stuff I had left on the bedroom (which wasn't true because she returned it to me, but what is the need to say something like that??). In life, you better treat everyone the best you can, you never know who you are dealing with. One of us is planning on visiting Monteverde again soon and guess which is the last place he's going.

On other aspects, the rooms are not clean. The sound of cars won't let you sleep. The kitchen is nice, but if you use it don't expect any smile.

I know that for the price you can't expect to be treated like a superstar. But still for the same price you can get a decent attention at many other hostels of the area. We stayed at another place and spent a wonderful night, if you were thinking I'm just an overreacter. If you don't want bad reviews don't keep on answering them with excuses, just do your job right.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank dhanimu

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Nuremberg, Germany
Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

It's clean, short ways to all the interesting things in santa elena/monteverde. The owner Yorle can book trips to the national reserves for the same price as in the park itself.
Plus she showed us a sloth in the surroundings!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Roermond, The Netherlands
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Nice place, beds are good, blankets are warm the room is spacious and the sanitary is good. The only thing this place really lacks is a place to socialize as the kitchen is only open for a limited time.
Ooh and the funniest toilets I have ever seen!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This place is a Great hostel in a cute town. The accommodations were Clean. There were no surprises and they helped me plan my stay. They offered a nice breakfast and coffee whenever.
And btw, the owner is sweet helpful and will take care of you.

• Stayed December 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I shared a room with another traveller at a price of $20 which seemed very reasonable. A free map with tons of information was given to me when I arrived and we also organised many tours with the hostel as well. The owner is very friendly and was always making sure that we were okay.

The kitchen was in good shape and the free breakfast was pretty good too (toast, fruit, eggs etc.)

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at Sloth Backpackers in a double private room. It was a great stay. The hostel is well located in the little triangle of "downtown" Santa Elena. Yorle, the owner, was very nice in welcoming us and helping us book tours. She gave great advice about which tours to do. There was a delicious breakfast prepared each morning (eggs or pancakes with lots of fruit). A great place to stay while visiting Monteverde especially with how cheap it is.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
New York Mills, New York
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I booked for 1 nights but stayed 3 nights ! the staff were all friendly and helpful, my room was immaculate and the facilities were excellent. Hammocks, beautiful gardens, kitchen - all excellent. I felt very welcome, very comfortable, and was very happy there. The central location was convenient, and everything I booked through the hostel happened on time, as planned. I really enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
#5 of 35 in Santa Elena
Santa Elena Hostel Resort
Santa Elena Hostel Resort
#13 of 35 in Santa Elena

Been to Hotel Sloth Backpackers Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!