“CLOSED”

Cuisines: Thai, Costa Rican
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 5 August 2013

THIS RESTAURANT IS CLOSED!!!! My friends and I came here expecting a cute cozy café... However, when we got there we found a Pizzeria called "La Cabaña"...

1  Thank Crazy_Book_Girl

Reviewed 27 April 2013

we looked, and looked, and asked, but is issn't there anymore!
so don't try to find it!!!
it's to bad, cause it sounded very nice!!

Reviewed 27 March 2013

We returned to the Monteverde area in January and were sad to see that Carambola is no longer. Susana, where did you and your fabulous parents go? We miss you and your delicious veggie wraps! There is a pizzeria in its place...haven't tried it, so can't comment.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

I've been here twice within the past two years and it is by far the best place in Costa Rica! The owner cooks from her kitchen in her own house giving the restaurant an awesome feeling. Not only is the vibe very cozy and artsy, the food is excellent. I highly recommend the Thai Pita!!

Reviewed 20 April 2012

Nothing prepares one for the presentation and taste of the food or the charm, class, and laid-back vibe of this cafe/restaurant. Everything on the plate is top quality, completely fresh, delicious, and artistically placed. It took me a long time to decide among the options - I was able to narrow down to the Pita Thai or Pita a la India - so I gave up and asked the tall gentleman in the Colombian hat to choose for me. The Colombian's other half - a charming Costa Rican who escaped San Jose to co-create La Carambola - joined in the chopping and cooked what amounts to a creation that exceeds any resemblance of a typical pita meal. From the smell of cumin, garam masala, coriander etc. etc., I knew what I was getting. I didn't know that I wouldn't recognize it as a pita. A full salad of fresh cucumber, lettuce, red onion, etc. adorned a crafted pita filled with chayote, chicken, vainicas, zucchini, tomatoes, onions, whatever else - it was loaded - all lightly grilled or caramelized to perfection - an indescribable treat. I plan to order the Pita Thai (coconut cream curry) or Pita Vegetariana next time! Don't think twice, this experience can't be beat; nor can the gently funky not-in-your-face decor, pleasantness of the young local couple, and appropriate "Playing for Change" serenading in the background. The garden patio is sweet, but the view of the vibrantly green cloud forest or the experience of being enshrouded in cloud, is divine. The food and charm really is a taste of heaven available no where but in Santa Elena, a mountain-top rain-forest village near the Monteverde Eco Reserve in Costa Rica.

4  Thank Carolet_10