“Amazing!”

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Cool and safe Company. These guys know what they are doing, so just relax and enjoy this awesome ride !

Visited March 2014

• Czech first
  • Hebrew first
Montreal, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fun for a good value.”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

For $40 (with discount from hotel), extreme canopy offered a variety of activities: zip lining, rapeling, tarzan swing and superman. It was definitely worth the 3 or so hours.

Visited June 2014
London, United Kingdom
231 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 568 helpful votes
“Life in the Extremo Fast Lane”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Background: As part of a 3-week volcano trek across Central America, our itinerary during our Santa Elena stay included an Adrenalin Theme Activity Pack which included zip lining, rappelling, Tarzan swinging and bungee jumping with the local Monteverde Extremo outfit.

First Impressions: If you ask someone with a fear of heights (me) either to do a zip line or a bungee jump, I'd say you must be crazy. (That's what my mother said.)
Although this is my 2nd bungee jump ever, it's my first time at zip lining and thus, have no point of comparison except for the overall experience in itself. Keep that in mind. A series of short zip lines build up to culminate to a 1-km long Superman line (where you are tethered horizontally on your belly facing forward. Yeah, you know, like Superman!) and ending with a Tarzan swing.

PROS: Location is one of its best assets, being situated atop a mountainous forest canopy in Costa Rica. Providing free shuttle service to and from your hotel is a big plus. Being only one of a handful of established operators in the area doesn't hurt either. Reportedly, Extremo has more cables (12), longest total length (2.5 miles) and faster zip lines than the other operators in the immediate area. And the Superman line rocks! Likewise, the bungee jump is higher (460 feet) than the one I did at Victoria Falls. At £45 for the combo Zipline Tour + Superman line + Tarzan Swing, it's certainly one of the cheapest among the sites. Just add £35 for the bungee jump and it's of good value for what you get. They will even return a 50% refund if you back out at the last moment (like my friend, who shall remain anonymous) at the bungee jump. The guides are well-trained, friendly and helpful. They weighed me on a scale for the bungee jump and let me use my own Go Pro camera, even providing the special helmet for it. Although their small talk sounded rehearsed, I did not encounter the kind of disrespect that other reviewers alluded to.

CONS: A few come to mind --- Overall, I felt quite rushed through the entire tour, mainly because there were three large groups doing it with us. The gear prep felt rushed and pre-tour instructions felt informal. The harness seem old and the gear setup less comfortable. Mind you, this outfit does the traditional ziplining, where your gloved hand grip serves to slow you down and to brake at the end. Therefore, it's all on you, man! Total control. But then, what happens if you lose control (like I did)? As it happened, at the long line prior to the Superman, my hand lost its grip on the cable and couldn't regain control as I hurtled close to 80 mph. Much worse, I also started twirling around like a hula hoop. I finally gave up and just hung there, uttering a prayer. Luckily, the guide at the end employed some emergency braking mechanism to stop me cold. Whew! Minor issues: hike uphill between some of the lines, no lockers and not enough shuttle vans.

Verdict: Along the adrenalin scale of extreme sports, this ranks a tad above the Devil's Pool but way below my near-fatal parachute failure from a solo skydive.
Though sugar-coated under the innocuous label "adrenalin sports," the very idea of stepping out into the abyss and hurtling down to earth with nothing more than a small string is nothing more than a death wish. On the other hand, there's no other experience that can make you feel more alive. You should try it. Carpe diem! Recommended. Grade A.

Visited April 2014
iowa
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“The highlight of our trip”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I traveled with a group of ten people between the ages of 16 and 40 something, we all agreed that this was the best part of a nine day trip to Costa Rica. We felt very safe, the park staff seemed well-trained and careful. We saw amazing views and had the experience of a lifetime. Highly recommended!

Visited June 2014
Kingston, Canada
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Ahhhmmazzzzing! Super Man!”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

What a good zip trek this was. I have done several before in Canada but this one was by far the best. The views were stunning you could see for miles on some of the lines and they were so long you had time to enjoy it. It was a nice hike through the forest and all the employees were friendly and funny! Even for those with a fear of heights they made you feel safe and didn't pressure you if you wanted to skip the harder ones. They take tons of photos for you and the disc is $10. I was a little nervous about the tarzan and the rappelling but after I did it, I felt Ahhhmmazzzzing ;) And of course the Super Man was the cherry on top, head first across the valley, taking in the views. Incredible. Don't miss out on this adventure!

Visited April 2014