“Super nice staff, but pricey”

Musashi Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 47 Restaurants in Santa Elena
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I arrived in town late after a hellish day of travel and this was one of the only places still open. I only ordered a tasty miso soup as I wasn't super hungry and it was kind of pricey but the sushi did look amazing. The staff were so nice when they saw how exhausted I looked and even gave me some free ice tea, really sweet. Worth a visit but be prepared to pay a fair bit.

There are newer reviews for Musashi Japanese Restaurant

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We had a great dinner here. The best sushi and really nice staff! Especially we liked the vegetarian sushi, all is based on own creative recipes. Definitely recommended!

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We stopped for dinner on a drizzling evening. We both ordered beef teriyaki. Honey tea was a new taste treat for me and was so satisfying on a cold night. Beef teriyaki came with a different set of vegetables than we are used to but again was excellent. Portions were very nice, enough for me to have a lunch the following day. The house red wine was very good. Service excellent. Window seats give a view of all the action on Main Street outside. Excellent value for the price.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

After a week of eating Tico food, when we saw the Musashi billboard on the way into Santa Elena, it was a unanimous decision to eat Japanese food. We had miso soup, mixed seafood teriyaki (shrimp, octopus, mussels, squid and mystery fish) and chicken teriyaki. The teriyaki meals were served with mixed stir-fried vegetables (cabbage and carrots), rice and fruits which I believe are star fruit and either lychee or rambutan.

The teriyaki meals were excellent, but different from other Japanese food we've had previously..The miso soup was good, although too salty for us. The portion sizes were large.

The prices were more than one would pay in a typical Tico restaurant; however, as this is the only Japanese restaurant we saw on a two-week vacation in Costa Rica, we thought it was worth the money.

Regarding the negative Trip Advisor reviews: The vast majority of visitors in Santa Elena seemed to be backpackers; for backpackers this restaurant would be extremely expensive. Most other patrons had the sushi; we had teriyaki meals and liked the food.

We recommend this restaurant and would eat there again if we ever return to Santa Elena.

1  Thank LuvToTravel040
Reviewed 10 August 2013

The sushi was fresh and well presented. However, it was very small for the price.

The hot dishes were blend and nothing special. We ordered an udon noodle soup and some kind of fried rice. Both leave something to be desired.

We didn't mind paying a little more since we were celebrating my birthday but the food just didn't do it for us.