“Just What I Needed”

Hotel Cipreses Monteverde Costa Rica
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Santa Elena
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I stayed here during my third visit to Monteverde. I stayed in the expensive, more luxurious El Establo hotel on a prior stay. While I enjoyed that as well, it was a bit farther from town and I wanted to be as close to town as possible and to Sabor Tico, the yummy restaurant right down the hill from the hotel.

When I first arrived, I was offered a yummy fresh pineapple drink. It was refreshing and needed after the three hour trip from the airport. The front desk person at the time, was a lovely gentleman who spoke English well. He smiled all the time and nothing was too big to ask for. I used the computers in the lobby and perused their brochures on activities, and then everything was arranged through the front desk.

The breakfast was very yummy and I loved the plantains. It was definitely filling enough to get you through to dinner if you're ziplining or doing something action packed during the day. The room was nothing fancy but it was perfect for what I needed and having been to Montervde two times before, I knew what to expect. I had a lovely terrace where I could sit and see over the rooftops of the street. One night I ordered food from Sabor Tico and just sat out there and watched the sunset. It was very clean and it had a TV from which I watched New York news and heard about New York weather - it was nice to reminisce about my birthtown while staying somewhere so far and distant in scenery and culture. There are containers outside for plastics, paper, aluminum etc. which is appreciated as the planet needs as much saving as possible! There was a guard who kept watch in the lobby during the night so although there's not much to be afraid of there, extra security anywhere never hurts!

When I had a problem with my airline and they changed my flight from the late afternoon to 8am, I had to leave the hotel at 3am. Now how on earth am I going to do that????? I was a bit nervous about that but the front desk managers tried everyone they knew to get me a private ride back and they found someone who did it for a reasonable price at that time of the morning. My exchanges with the front desk were always friendly and helpful. I must give them kudos for even helping me upon my return home. I needed a taxi receipt for the ride early in the morning to get reimbursed for it and they sent it to me right away and wished me well.

I would definitely stay here again. Nature is the resort here so if you are looking for fancy shmancy amenities then Monteverde is probably not for you. At night I would walk past other guests' rooms who had the light on and the windows open, and you could see them just reading, writing in a journal or sitting outside listening to the sounds of the night. Peace and tranquility are so much more rewarding than marble bathrooms, shampoo bottles and a hairdryer!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank travelchick627

Reviewed 30 August 2013

The Good:
-large room
-breakfast
-one front desk person was friendly

The Bad:
-horribly thin walls with loud music playing all hours
-no signs to find hotel
-rude manager
-hard bed
-horrible lighting (no lamps)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Joshua e
HotelCipreses, Gerente at Hotel Cipreses Monteverde Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Thanks Joshua fort taking the time to write a review for our hotel, after seeing the hotels where you stayed in Manuel Antonio Byblos Resort & Spa and Villa Caletas in Jaco does not make us feel bad, because they are a category of hotel much higher than us with out dude, thanks to other clients who left great review for our proerty they paid for what they wanted, I would like to receive a direct email from you about the situation with the manager, as he is in charge of being more friendly than anyone else and usually always qualify in good health thanks to him, if you had requested another room would have gladly given, as we focus on meeting the needs of our guest, or think that maybe this was the wrong hotel for you, there are other very good options in Monteverde more price but you would have felt better, I regret what happened and hope to receive a direct mail to clarify any other discomfort.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

You get what you pay for sometimes, and this is one example. There was nothing charming or interesting about the hotel. It was clean and the breakfast buffet was adequate. It is unfortunate that there is no comfortable place to sit and relax after hiking in one of the reserves. The rooms are decent size, however they are stacked together like a cheap highway road stop motel in the USA would be. Given the gorgeous location of Santa Elena/Monteverde it seems out of place here. I would spend a bit more the next time I return to the area.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Willow456
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My friends and I stayed here for a couple of nights. It’s a great place to stay if you’re on a budget, like we were. Obviously, it’s no 5 star hotel, but the rooms were clean and the staff was very nice. The location is good too because its just a ten minute walk from the heart of town where most of the little shops and restaurants are. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a room on the first floor - there was no A/C. But it was cool at night, so we didn't have...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 August 2013

this is quaint and small. the staff is good and helpful with tour suggestions. Got us ice when needed, Sent someone immediately when water was cold. town in walking distance albeit vertical. one needs to be physically fit in Monteverde. This is a place for zip lining and nature so hotel is primarily for sleeping.. Met nice family from The Netherlands and some Canadians to chat and share beers.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2013

This was a nice hotel that is working towards eco-friendly sustainability. The food was good, but the run on island-time so the early breakfast was a little later than planned. There was no air-conditioning in the rooms, but we went during the rainy season, so it wasn't bad. It was extremely windy though, and we were on the top floor and you could hear the wind blowing against the metal roof quite loudly at night. The customer service was excellent here though and they are aiming to please. They will schedule any excursions you might wish to take. It's a little walk from town though, so pack some good shoes.

Room Tip: The good, better, and best rooms are obvious here. I would recommend either a ground-level, or one...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We had a nice little stay here. It is up the hill from the town, but I loved the walk each day to explore Monte Verde. Very clean, helpful staff who even picked us up from the bus station, and big rooms!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
#17 of 20 in Monteverde
Monteverde Country Lodge
Monteverde Country Lodge
#5 of 7 in Santa Elena

Been to Hotel Cipreses Monteverde Costa Rica? Share your experiences!