Hotel & Spa Poco a Poco
US$259
US$51
Heliconia Hotel(Monteverde)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel El Sueno(Santa Elena)
TripAdvisor
All reviewshot tubswim up barcosta ricaeco friendly hotelhotel restaurantgrocery storeno air conditioningsmall hotelhanging bridgescloud forestin townsmall towncoffee makerstayed two nightszip liningpura vidatoast
Reviewed 30 March 2008

We booked for 2 nights at this hotel, but decided to come a day earlier. Sent an email to them, but got no response, not sure if they got the email or decided not to respond as the hotel was full already.

We however got a very friendly reception when we got back on the day of our booking. They let us check in earlier than normally allowed.

We were a bit dissappointed with the location, as it is not in the forest as we imagined, but then discovered that the hotel is close to many of the attractions and also to Santa Elena.

We got a big room with two double beds and one single. TV and the biggest plus - free Wireless. Our room was close to the lobby and we even got wireless in the room. The negative of the room was that it had no view - but we spent so little time at the hotel, it did not really bother us.

Our 6 year old loved the heated swimming pool with it's nice views. Also popular was the DVD shop and DVD facility in the room. This came in very handy at 6 on Saturday morning when we were awaken by what we thought was an earthquake! THe whole building started shaking! We then discovered that it was the builders on the other side of the road! This building continued on Sunday morning as well - but one cannot blame the hotel for this! This is also a lively spot - as we could here party music from higher up in the village for two nights until the early morning hours - also not the fault of the hotel.

The breakfast is really good - we opted for the typical Costa Rican breakfast - as we love black beans and rice!

We did the night tour in Monteverde - our guide was not that great and two of the three torches did not work properly - but we still managed to see a tarantula and some glass frogs.

The day adventure in Selvatura park is great. Easy going zip lines, stunning hanging bridges, wonderful snake exhibition - and lots of fun for the family!

Dinners at Morpho (great value) and Cafe Flo Vida (great veg food). Best shopping at the supermarket (with it's own curio shop). And best bakery - Stella's.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank moniquestrydom
GuidoMontero, Director General at Hotel & Spa Poco a Poco, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2015

Dear Trip Advisor member: Thank you very much for your comments and review.
We are very glad you enjoyed your stay at Poco a Poco, the best value hotel in Monteverde.
Our location, added values, facilities, details, and specially the service are all up the best standars.

Reviewed 28 March 2008

Such a terrible woman and experience:

I made a reservation requesting two rooms with two double beds on January 9th. 2008 arriving at this hotel March 1st. 2008. Until now i am glad i saved those emails with the booking confirmation and also i had to call the hotel more than a couple of times from the U.S. to reconfirm the booking.

It took us more than 3 hours to arrive from San Jose to the top of this mountain, i was traveling with my mother, and aunt and a friend of mine who is a local costarican citizen that lives in San Jose.

By the time we arrived it was later than the check in time, when i got in the front desk i said: " Hello! I have a reservation for today, my name is..."

This woman: ( LILLIANA ARAYA)
After i told her my name the first thing she said was:

"Oh, you are the one who i was expecting to know, because i don't have your reservation and i don't have anything available for you at this moment, but you can come next week or i could try to find another cheaper and smaller place around here, if you want!"

That was incredible!!
I made the reservation almost two months before that day.

After argue around 20 minutes with me, this woman ask me to prove her about my confirmation; (How come this woman can be such a nasty person with a tourist in front of co-workers and more tourist people all around??) I had to pull out my laptop and looked in my saved emails and prove her i had the reference confirmation email. From there you can tell how bad is the administration and the reservation services. After another 30 minutes they got me those rooms separated far to each other and she still were saying to me:

"I had to make leave to some other tourists"

Like trying to put her blame on me. And of course i could accept another cheaper place or a better discount only if she at least were giving me a nice word or apologizes about all this mistake of them, but she never said none.

In the last moment in the front desk my friend (the local citizen) ask her about tours in the forest or good discounts for people staying in this hotel.

She said in front of me:

I know the tourist people don't like to hear or to know about the locals have great discounts than foreigners, but you know what?
I really don't care; Tours for nationals are among $15 or $20 and tourists pay $50.

She even asked me where i am coming from.
When she saw my passport she said:

"Oh, i thought you were from South America but i see you are from Central America, that's why you are doing such a big deal about this and you have bad luck with hotels."

And i said:

((I think you are the one with very bad luck LILLIANA ARAYA))

I think this woman needs a lot more to be behind that desk, she doesn't know how to treat people ( tourists specially ) It is not fair for visitor find this kind of people while you are visiting a country and you don't speak the local language, since i was talking with her only in spanish all the time. They can say whatever they want if front of us ( the tourist ) if we don't speak the local language.

Maybe this woman don't know TRIP ADVISOR exist for us.

I have had been in Costa Rica twice, it's a beautiful country.

But if you go to Monteverde, Don't go to this Hotel or/and check first who is behind that desk next time..
www.hotelpocoapoco.com

Believe it or not..

This is TRIP ADVISOR, Right?

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank castorguy
ManagerPocoaPoco, Gerente at Hotel & Spa Poco a Poco, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2011

Dear Castorguy, I'm just taking in my hands the management of this place, I know that offering you an apology doesn't solve your previous problems but I think every client is the most important and deserve a reasonable explanation. This new management has focused on service and premium facilities, we have been training our staff in subjects like guest service and human relationships in order to guarantee an extremely personalized service. We just changed our operative system, reducing at the minimum the posibility to overbook our place. Nowdays we are considered one of the best hotels in Monteverde, any of the problems you unfortunately suffered during your stay happens now. I'm deeply sorry about my antecesor who didn't take the time to answer your inquiries and obviously solve your complaints, all of them reasonable. By the way, our new Front Desk manager's name is Michael Quesada. On behalf of the owner and myself let me extend you the sincerest apology for this disapointing experience and the promise that this, your server will be taking care of every single detail if you honor us with your visit again. Warm regards.

Reviewed 21 March 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at Poco a Poco in Nov. of 07 for 2 nights. We had a great experience! The staff spoke English and were very helpful with planning out excursions and travel to our next destination. The rooms were average but accommodating of an eco-
friendly hotel. We have read reviews that mention how moist the room and linens are but we did not find this to be an issue. The beds are not the most comfortable, but not terrible for the price. The towels did not dry well but this was the only issue. This is expected when in a tropical rain forest so if you're looking for posh accomodations, don't even bother with Monteverde because the moisture in the air will affect every hotel you stay in. We did not find any large bugs or any other pests. Our biggest issue with the hotel was the noise from the road, as it seems that many motorcycles and loud cars drove by throughout the night. But hey, it's Costa Rica!

The location was perfect for us. You can walk to an awesome Frog Pond (an indoor habitat showing indigenous frogs - go at night because they are nocturnal) that was well worth the money and convenient as you walk to the town, Santa Elena. In town there are many restaurants and souvenir shops. The Treehouse restaurant is cool to experience. One caveat to the hotel experience is the limited hours they provide hot water. This could be disappointing to some travelers but it is consistent with the hotels mantra to conserve energy and remain environmentally friendly. In fact, the hotel possesses a water filtration system that allows used water to be recycled into their ponds and sprinkler system. The restaurant on premises was enjoyable but not remarkable. The free breakfast each morning consisted of typical Costa Rican food and was served quickly. If the weather keeps you confined to the room, there is an extensive DVD library available for rent, as there are DVD players in each room. In addition, you have the option to rent computers with internet access. We say "rent" loosely because they did not charge us for our minor use.

If adventure is in your blood definitely try the Zip line tours. We went to the Selvatura park. (It had rain jackets and pants so you can go no matter what the weather) and also incorporated the hanging bridge walk. BRING A CAMERA

We would recommend Poco a poco to other travelers who want a nice clean place to stay for a great price and convenient location.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Dear EN: Thank you very much for your comments and review.

Reviewed 16 January 2008

Hotel Poco a Poco has a wonderful staff. They were very helpful in booking activities and giving directions to our next destination. Our room was ok. We had two full sized beds and a twin. The walls were slightly worned down and had a slight smell of mold. The bathroom was very clean and spacious.
The restuarant had good food and breakfast was included.
The pool was clean and had a great view of the skyline (great for watching the sunset). There was also basketball court available behind the pool area.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank monkey24

Reviewed 28 December 2007

this is a great local hotel with a nice restaurant and heated pool. the rooms are basic although clean. this is also a great hotel for older guests or disabled travelers as they have wheelchair friendly rooms and the pool area is ramped. /

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family